Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2019, 12:45 PM   #41  
Fly or Die
 
ESQ702's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2019
Posts: 240
Default

To add onto the discussion about pilot compensation there's a great thread on what guys around here made in 2018. See here:

https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/m...ry-survey.html

Also, for the OP, I did my 1st Class Medical yesterday. Cost was $220 and one hour of time. Easy enough.
ESQ702 is offline  
Old 02-13-2019, 05:12 AM   #42  
Line Holder
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Feb 2019
Posts: 89
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESQ702 View Post
Also, for the OP, I did my 1st Class Medical yesterday. Cost was $220 and one hour of time. Easy enough.
My 1st Class Medical is scheduled for the 21st. Cost me $170. Let's hope they don't find anything scary.

Going to the doctor always reminds me of going to a mechanic. They find stuff wrong that you didn't think was wrong and it's going to cost an arm and a leg to fix.
JayMahon is offline  
Old 02-25-2019, 07:19 AM   #43  
Line Holder
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Feb 2019
Posts: 89
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMahon View Post
My 1st Class Medical is scheduled for the 21st. Cost me $170. Let's hope they don't find anything scary.

Going to the doctor always reminds me of going to a mechanic. They find stuff wrong that you didn't think was wrong and it's going to cost an arm and a leg to fix.
Yay!! Medical passed. No issues.

That was the last obstacle. Time to put engines to full. Ready for all the challenges that await me.
JayMahon is offline  
Old 02-27-2019, 08:50 AM   #44  
New Hire
 
Joined APC: Feb 2019
Posts: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMahon View Post
Yay!! Medical passed. No issues.

That was the last obstacle. Time to put engines to full. Ready for all the challenges that await me.
Wow! I am glad I found your post. I too am seriously contemplating getting into this industry at the ripe age of 39 (40 this summer). My medical is scheduled for this Friday. I'm in south FL, you wouldn't happen to be in the area?
Nico2272019 is offline  
Old 02-28-2019, 04:51 AM   #45  
Line Holder
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Feb 2019
Posts: 89
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico2272019 View Post
Wow! I am glad I found your post. I too am seriously contemplating getting into this industry at the ripe age of 39 (40 this summer). My medical is scheduled for this Friday. I'm in south FL, you wouldn't happen to be in the area?
No sir, I'm in the rural mountains of Central Virginia. Good luck with the medical. I hope all goes well for you.

What are your plans for flight training? FBO? Flying Club? Zero to Hero school?
JayMahon is offline  
Old 02-28-2019, 09:16 AM   #46  
New Hire
 
Joined APC: Feb 2019
Posts: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMahon View Post
No sir, I'm in the rural mountains of Central Virginia. Good luck with the medical. I hope all goes well for you.

What are your plans for flight training? FBO? Flying Club? Zero to Hero school?
I'm going to go to a local flight school. Just haven't decided which one yet. ATP was an option but after reading some posts in this forum I think I'll reconsider. I have an American Flyers very close to me, I think that's where I'll end up.
What route are you taking?
Nico2272019 is offline  
Old 02-28-2019, 10:00 AM   #47  
Line Holder
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Feb 2019
Posts: 89
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico2272019 View Post
I'm going to go to a local flight school. Just haven't decided which one yet. ATP was an option but after reading some posts in this forum I think I'll reconsider. I have an American Flyers very close to me, I think that's where I'll end up.
What route are you taking?
There's a local small flight school that should be able to get me to MEI for around 40k, I'm not starting from zero though.

I'm also looking into a Flying Club. This could cut my costs but more importantly they have all low-wing aircraft, which is my preference. Most of my hours are in a Piper Cherokee.
JayMahon is offline  
Old 03-16-2019, 01:28 PM   #48  
On Reserve
 
Joined APC: Mar 2019
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMahon View Post
Yay!! Medical passed. No issues.

That was the last obstacle. Time to put engines to full. Ready for all the challenges that await me.
Where are you located? It costs $250 the lowest here in New York
lordhux is offline  
Old 03-18-2019, 04:38 AM   #49  
Line Holder
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Feb 2019
Posts: 89
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordhux View Post
Where are you located? It costs $250 the lowest here in New York
I used to fly in NY when I was in high school. Republic airport.

Currently I reside in the mountains of central Virginia. Beautiful, low cost of living, generally good natured people/neighbors.

Don't think I'd ever go back to the more expensive fast pace of city life.
JayMahon is offline  
Old 03-28-2019, 01:15 PM   #50  
On Reserve
 
Joined APC: Mar 2019
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMahon View Post
I used to fly in NY when I was in high school. Republic airport.

Currently I reside in the mountains of central Virginia. Beautiful, low cost of living, generally good natured people/neighbors.

Don't think I'd ever go back to the more expensive fast pace of city life.
are you attending American Flyers or ATP? I heard ATP is sh*tty, but pretty much the same as any others. How's your experience with American Flyers?
lordhux is offline  
 
 
 

 
Post Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mid Life Career Question Antney Career Questions 37 06-02-2018 05:24 AM
Early career change worth it? aveng Career Questions 11 01-02-2017 10:30 AM
career change need help rsrsrscanada Career Questions 3 12-02-2016 06:40 AM
Career Change: Engineer to Pilot? CC268 Career Questions 15 02-26-2016 07:32 AM
Starting a Pilot Career: The New Realities rickair7777 Flight Schools and Training 12 10-30-2014 04:46 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:10 PM.