Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-18-2010, 01:21 PM   #1  
New Hire
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: May 2010
Posts: 6
Default Multi Engine time required for Regionals?

Quick question:

Let's just say someone wants to be a pilot.

They have a single engine plane to build hours and use it get all the necessary ratings... instrument and commercial, blah blah.

However, is 500 hours in a single engine plane marketable to the regionals? Or do they want multi-engine time? Multi engine time is VERY expensive. So let's say we get the multi-engine rating and put 10 hours in the logbook. So now we have:

500 single
10 multi

Is that better than nothing?

I only see two ways of getting multi time:

1. Pay out of the #%$%# to either rent the plane or sign up for a school like ATP and pay them 50k up front.
2. Buy a multi and fly the #$$%#$ out of it. However, gas and insurance, and maintenance would destroy any man's pocketbook.


But let's make this a hypothetical situation because we all know the regionals are not hiring and if they are it is super competitive. Let's just say the economy is recovering the 65 yr olds are retiring. :-)

David
davidhaan is offline  
Old 06-18-2010, 01:38 PM   #2  
Banned
 
Joined APC: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,641
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidhaan View Post
Quick question:

Let's just say someone wants to be a pilot.

They have a single engine plane to build hours and use it get all the necessary ratings... instrument and commercial, blah blah.

However, is 500 hours in a single engine plane marketable to the regionals? Or do they want multi-engine time? Multi engine time is VERY expensive. So let's say we get the multi-engine rating and put 10 hours in the logbook. So now we have:

500 single
10 multi

Is that better than nothing?

I only see two ways of getting multi time:

1. Pay out of the #%$%# to either rent the plane or sign up for a school like ATP and pay them 50k up front.
2. Buy a multi and fly the #$$%#$ out of it. However, gas and insurance, and maintenance would destroy any man's pocketbook.


But let's make this a hypothetical situation because we all know the regionals are not hiring and if they are it is super competitive. Let's just say the economy is recovering the 65 yr olds are retiring. :-)

David

Right now the average is about 1500 TT 200 ME. If you don't meet the mins, don't even bother. Sorry, that's just the way it is.
ERJF15 is offline  
Old 06-18-2010, 02:03 PM   #3  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jul 2009
Position: CRJ-200 CA
Posts: 399
Default

I've seen the mins for multi being anywhere from 100 to 300. Competitive mins are probably higher then 300.

You missed option number 3 to build multi time. Get your MEI and teach, then you get paid to fly a multi.
DL31082 is offline  
Old 06-18-2010, 02:08 PM   #4  
Prime Minister/Moderator
 
rickair7777's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim
Posts: 23,676
Default

Historically the amount of required ME time varied between 50-500.

When hiring is slow or non-existent (like right now) and a lot of pilots are competing the published mins are typically 200+ ME but actual competitive mins to get hired are like 300-500+. Nobody expects you to buy all that time, you need to get a job as ab MEI or in 135.

When hiring demand is high, regionals will lower ME mins to 100-200, some as low as 50 and will actually hire people with only the minimum. Some bottom feeders even hired those with only a ME rating and the 10-15 hours it took to get it.

However..due to the colgan crash last year congress is trying to make airlines (regionals specifically) place more emphasis on ME time. I would suspect (and hope) that no airline will ever again hire with less than 100-200 ME.

If you are in the training pipeline, I would look ahead to MEI employment opportunities. Keep in mind that schools usually prefer to hire their own grads first, so you probably want to do your training at a school which 1) does ME training and 2) will hire you as a CFI, with the potential to upgrade to MEI eventually.

Unfortunately insurance often dictates that MEI's have 25-100 ME hours as well, so be sure you understand the schools policy on that. You might have to buy some ME time just to get an MEI job.
rickair7777 is online now  
Old 06-18-2010, 03:08 PM   #5  
New Hire
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: May 2010
Posts: 6
Default

bummer on the ME requirements...

well, it's still a safe bet to build up hours in a single engine, no?
davidhaan is offline  
Old 06-18-2010, 03:13 PM   #6  
Super Moderator
 
usmc-sgt's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,406
Default

It is a start. TT is still a requirement that you cant neglect (since you wont get hired without enough of it.)

The good thing is that it sounds like you have a while to go before meeting mins so I would not worry about multi time yet. It will be a while so enjoy the ride, aviation is exciting so try to keep it that way as long as you can.

People have been scrounging for multi hours since the beginning of time, you wont be the first one and certainly not the last. You will figure it out when its time.

Number one way to get multi hours is get your MEI and teach

Number two way to get multi hours is get part 135 mins and get hired on with a place with a twin. It may take longer since you might have to start out in a cherokee six for 500+ hours or so before working your way into a seneca or similar. It is not the fastest road but its a great road full of experiences.
usmc-sgt is offline  
Old 06-18-2010, 04:34 PM   #7  
Does NOT get weekends off
 
snippercr's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: ERJ - 145
Posts: 1,628
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc-sgt View Post

Number two way to get multi hours is get part 135 mins and get hired on with a place with a twin. It may take longer since you might have to start out in a cherokee six for 500+ hours or so before working your way into a seneca or similar. It is not the fastest road but its a great road full of experiences.
That's the most likely option for me. I have my MEI but no chance of multi students since they all go to the former airline people. For me, I am aiming to get 135 mins and fly freight to build multi time. I would get a competitive amount of multi time doing that (300-500) as opposed to sticking around my school and MAYBE getting a multi student here and there and taking forever just to get 200.

Plus I want to work 135 for some part of my life.
snippercr is offline  
Old 06-19-2010, 07:58 AM   #8  
Prime Minister/Moderator
 
rickair7777's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim
Posts: 23,676
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidhaan View Post
well, it's still a safe bet to build up hours in a single engine, no?
To be honest, not really.

IMO, your ONLY purpose for flying SE airplanes (after you get your ratings) is because you are building seniority at a company which will let you fly twins after you have been there long enough. Commonly you have to work as an ASEL CFI before you can move up to MEI.

Same with regional SIC time...not worth a warm cup of spit, it's just a side effect of waiting for enough seniority to upgrade.

The point I'm trying to make is that you should do your best to get hooked up with an outfit which will allow you to build ME time...especially since congress may mandate that. Don't just build SE time for it's own sake...have a roadmap to a twin.

If you can't get a job at a company which does ME training, plan B would be do ASEL CFI until you have 1200 hours, then go to a 135 outfit as a ASEL pilot. After some period of time, you will move up to twins at which point that ME time will accumulate in a matter of months.
rickair7777 is online now  
Old 06-20-2010, 09:07 PM   #9  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Dec 2007
Posts: 573
Default

What abbot buying 100-200 of multi time through one of these time building programs. That seems like a faster approach to getting hired. Why waste time once hiring picks up. Be ready to go. If you drop 15k for 200 hours of SIC turboprop time your resume will go to the top. Hiring is about to explode in 2-3 years and you want to be ready. 1000tt and 200 sic 135 turbo prop time will guarantee you an interview. That shows you are ready and can pass 121 groud school in the eyes on HR. If anyone disagrees feel free to chime in
stbloc is offline  
Old 06-20-2010, 09:18 PM   #10  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jun 2008
Position: Capt & A&P
Posts: 251
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stbloc View Post
What abbot buying 100-200 of multi time through one of these time building programs. That seems like a faster approach to getting hired. Why waste time once hiring picks up. Be ready to go. If you drop 15k for 200 hours of SIC turboprop time your resume will go to the top. Hiring is about to explode in 2-3 years and you want to be ready. 1000tt and 200 sic 135 turbo prop time will guarantee you an interview. That shows you are ready and can pass 121 groud school in the eyes on HR. If anyone disagrees feel free to chime in
You can't be serious...
esa17 is offline  
 
 
 

 
Post Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking to build multi time in NYC area AIC111 Flight Schools and Training 2 02-03-2010 08:45 AM
Airnet! Longbow64 Part 135 117 07-23-2009 09:46 AM
Flight time restriction: need clarification/informal poll MrBigAir Aviation Law 21 11-06-2008 09:00 AM
Single or Multi Time pompeync Flight Schools and Training 8 11-02-2008 07:12 PM
FDX-Open Time Comment from Jetflyer SNIZ Cargo 67 11-01-2008 12:02 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:08 PM.