Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-22-2017, 06:02 PM   #51  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: FE, FO, CAPT.
Posts: 193
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ni hao View Post
I know of several retired pilots age 75+ who are APPLYING to Netjets LOL
Well, at least they won't jump ship for the airlines.
mooneymite is offline  
Old 05-22-2017, 06:16 PM   #52  
Banned
 
Joined APC: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,920
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooneymite View Post
Well, at least they won't jump ship for the airlines.
They also won't lift bags.
Jetlife is offline  
Old 05-23-2017, 01:54 AM   #53  
Gets Weekends Off
 
galaxy flyer's Avatar
 
Joined APC: May 2010
Position: Baja Vermont
Posts: 3,859
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachomamma View Post
Wrong. It's the business of his poor unsuspecting passengers who didn't sign up to become a smoking crater just because this greedy old codger loves money too much to admit he can't do the job safely anymore. But hey...he doesn't like golf so it must be ok. Screw everyone else - he got his.
What do you say about 80-year old flight attendants, of which there are quite a few? There was a director of aviation in Pro Pilot magazine claiming to be 85.

GF
galaxy flyer is offline  
Old 05-23-2017, 03:56 AM   #54  
Gets Weekends Off
 
RI830's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Mar 2011
Position: BD-700
Posts: 1,418
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy flyer View Post
What do you say about 80-year old flight attendants, of which there are quite a few? There was a director of aviation in Pro Pilot magazine claiming to be 85.

GF
Just as one is required to take a driving test after a certain age and risk, these 80+ yr old FA's need to be able to demonstrate the Easy Victor tasks within the required time or hang it up. Its not age discrimination....its protection of the general flying public. These older FA's could actually become a liability in the event of a real emergency.
If a younger lad can't complete the training tasks cause of who knows why....they will be washed out of training cause they are a risk to the general safety.
People must accept and own up to the fact they can't do things they once could and thats called life.

Thanks for your service, its time to move on to something else that you can find joy in.

On the flip side of this argument, years back we had a guy (old Eastern scab guy) flip his lid that two less than 30 yr olds were flying a Legacy 600 together. He couldn't fathom that the 6000+ hours in type that we had was safe enough.
RI830 is offline  
Old 05-26-2017, 02:26 PM   #55  
Line Holder
 
Joined APC: Jan 2017
Position: Pilot
Posts: 58
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora8 View Post
That is the nature of heart attacks: they are unpredictable. The only correlations are between smoking and stress; there is no research (contrary to popular opinion) that they, and heart disease in general, are related to factors such as cholesterol levels.
There is plenty of research regarding the link to heart disease and cholesterol levels.

http://pcrm.org/sites/default/files/...-Esselstyn.pdf


To answer the original post questions:

1. The oldest pilot I've flown with was in his mid to upper 70s.

2. There is no unwritten policy to get rid of elderly pilots at NetJets. In fact, it would seem there is a tendency to "stonewall" concerns about the ability of older pilots. We do have a program that allows for pilots to report when they concern with another pilot. The satisfaction rate of the program is debatable.

3. Nothing significant as far as financial compensation. There is a small severance given to older pilots with seniority and twice in recent memory the company has given voluntary separation compensation.

Last edited by AntiPeter; 05-26-2017 at 02:37 PM.
AntiPeter is offline  
Old 05-26-2017, 06:18 PM   #56  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: retired
Posts: 519
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RI830 View Post
Just as one is required to take a driving test after a certain age and risk, these 80+ yr old FA's need to be able to demonstrate the Easy Victor tasks within the required time or hang it up. Its not age discrimination....its protection of the general flying public. These older FA's could actually become a liability in the event of a real emergency.
If a younger lad can't complete the training tasks cause of who knows why....they will be washed out of training cause they are a risk to the general safety.
People must accept and own up to the fact they can't do things they once could and thats called life.

Thanks for your service, its time to move on to something else that you can find joy in.

On the flip side of this argument, years back we had a guy (old Eastern scab guy) flip his lid that two less than 30 yr olds were flying a Legacy 600 together. He couldn't fathom that the 6000+ hours in type that we had was safe enough.
Actually they do go thru recurrent once year and if they fail the check ride they do get tossed if retraining is unsuccessful.. More common for a younger person to fail than an old timer.
filejw is offline  
Old 05-26-2017, 06:29 PM   #57  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Nov 2014
Posts: 162
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by filejw View Post
Actually they do go thru recurrent once year and if they fail the check ride they do get tossed if retraining is unsuccessful.. More common for a younger person to fail than an old timer.
Actually, you're completely wrong. They have to fail four consecutive check rides to be terminated.

And the failure rate is significantly higher for the older folks (60+).
Nachomamma is offline  
 
 
 

 
Post Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Needing advice, leaning towards fractionals ccconnor92 Career Questions 7 04-22-2014 11:01 AM
Max pilot age for fractional hiring? mswmsw Fractional 5 06-21-2008 05:26 PM
Pilot Shortage SayAgain Fractional 11 07-08-2007 07:28 PM
need help with pilot training shaggieshapiro Hangar Talk 30 06-13-2007 08:32 PM
how does scheduling days off work at fractionals hatetobreakit2u Fractional 11 01-07-2007 01:50 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:52 AM.