Notices
Hangar Talk For non-aviation-related discussion and aviation threads that don't belong elsewhere

Tool of the day

Old 05-08-2019, 03:05 AM
  #12021  
Gets Weekends Off
 
gipple's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2009
Posts: 309
Default

Originally Posted by echelon View Post
Well said. I think we (as a profession, not me) hide behind hats and double breasted jackets to distract from the fact that our job is doable by any retard with the ability to pay for training.
Nice job dragging down the profession. I only see one “retard” here.
gipple is offline  
Old 05-08-2019, 04:15 AM
  #12022  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Oct 2017
Posts: 162
Default

Originally Posted by gipple View Post
Nice job dragging down the profession. I only see one “retard” here.
All for keeping or increasing the barriers to entry, but the rigor and aptitude required doesn't quite compare to other well paying professions, such as medicine, engineering, or law. Retard certainly is a stretch though, and boorish.
Xjrstreetcar is offline  
Old 05-08-2019, 04:21 AM
  #12023  
Banned
 
Joined APC: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,473
Default

Originally Posted by echelon View Post
Well said. I think we (as a profession, not me) hide behind hats and double breasted jackets to distract from the fact that our job is doable by any retard with the ability to pay for training.
And you see what happens in other countries when that happens. Major difference in pushing buttons and flying the airplane. Especially when things go wrong.
hilltopflyer is offline  
Old 05-08-2019, 04:27 AM
  #12024  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Apr 2011
Position: retired 767(dl)
Posts: 5,730
Default

Originally Posted by echelon View Post
Well said. I think we (as a profession, not me) hide behind hats and double breasted jackets to distract from the fact that our job is doable by any retard with the ability to pay for training.
Interesting take, however, recent world wide events seem to disagee with you.
badflaps is offline  
Old 05-08-2019, 04:41 AM
  #12025  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Feb 2007
Position: Airplanes
Posts: 1,382
Default

Originally Posted by echelon View Post
Well said. I think we (as a profession, not me) hide behind hats and double breasted jackets to distract from the fact that our job is doable by any retard with the ability to pay for training.
People with this attitude are the ones I typically have to babysit a little more during a trip. Lack of SOP's, energy mismanagement, ignorance of the FOM, etc. Because any 'retard' can do this and that attitude shows, profusely, in their adherence and performance.
Macjet is offline  
Old 05-08-2019, 04:44 AM
  #12026  
Banned
 
Joined APC: Sep 2018
Posts: 215
Default

Originally Posted by hilltopflyer View Post
And you see what happens in other countries when that happens. Major difference in pushing buttons and flying the airplane. Especially when things go wrong.
You say that, but in the U.S. the Majors are still hiring based on how much time you spend down at the local soup kitchen and what your GPA was 20 years ago and not on your flying experience.
ICUROOK is offline  
Old 05-08-2019, 04:49 AM
  #12027  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,023
Default

Originally Posted by Xjrstreetcar View Post
All for keeping or increasing the barriers to entry, but the rigor and aptitude required doesn't quite compare to other well paying professions, such as medicine, engineering, or law. Retard certainly is a stretch though, and boorish.


You’re selling yourself short. Try and view it from a layman’s perspective just as you are those other professions.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
4V14T0R is offline  
Old 05-08-2019, 04:51 AM
  #12028  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,023
Default

Originally Posted by ICUROOK View Post
You say that, but in the U.S. the Majors are still hiring based on how much time you spend down at the local soup kitchen and what your GPA was 20 years ago and not on your flying experience.


There’s so much good experience out there it is their way of differentiating.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
4V14T0R is offline  
Old 05-08-2019, 06:21 AM
  #12029  
Super Moderator
 
crewdawg's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,574
Default

Originally Posted by ICUROOK View Post
You say that, but in the U.S. the Majors are still hiring based on how much time you spend down at the local soup kitchen and what your GPA was 20 years ago and not on your flying experience.
Based on my experience, I don't think that has much weight with respect to hiring.
crewdawg is offline  
Old 05-08-2019, 06:36 AM
  #12030  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joachim's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2007
Posts: 747
Default

Originally Posted by crewdawg View Post
Based on my experience, I don't think that has much weight with respect to hiring.
No but failing on NDB arcs as a teenager 20 years ago does...

Let’s see... widebody check, tpic looks good, 5 initials without a hiccup, nice job on the GPA, UH OHH... what is this? A failed check ride in a Cherokee during the Clinton administration!?! What do you have to say for yourself?
Joachim is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Elvis90
Military
2
11-11-2010 09:25 AM
meloveboeing
Regional
5
10-02-2010 07:47 AM
kc135driver
United
119
08-24-2010 08:30 AM
exerauflyboy5
Flight Schools and Training
15
02-18-2009 08:29 PM
Busdriver
JetBlue
70
01-16-2006 10:32 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Your Privacy Choices