Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Latest on Tradewind Aviation

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2022, 05:22 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Jan 2017

Originally Posted by michael525Bdo View Post
They all got great offers to move on to bigger and better positions. The new chief pilot is great. I’ve worked with her at another company and she’ll do a great job. As for logging, I think that is related to the lack of A062 at their company. Tradewinds is a great company, but I think they will start to suffer major attrition since their fleet is comprised mostly of PC12s.
BTQ 2.0 . Read the regs 61.159 ( c ) then PDP program. No A062 no logging time
Old 03-17-2022, 07:46 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2019

Originally Posted by Searching4work View Post
I heard from a friend that the Chief Pilot, DO, and flight training director all quit within a week of each other, and that the company told Captains and FOs they shouldn’t log all the time? Can anyone confirm what’s up over there?
New hire here, just sat in on a company orientation meeting. They claim they previously tried to apply to the FAA for a PDP and were told by the district FSDO that they didn't need one because of "the way we operate" The way apparently is they don't train their PICs to be single pilot PICs. In other words, the captain is not allowed to fly single pilot. And according to Part 135 you CAN fly single pilot with an approved A/P and supporting docs but apparently they haven't applied for that exception so they are required IFR to fly 2 crew. Now, they also conduct Part 91 flights which means in that case yes, the PF is the one logging time, but other than that that's how they claim they have SIC logging in a single pilot aircraft under Part 135.

They've also said they got in a meeting w/ Jet Blue, Tropic Ocean, (a few others I can't remember) and are actively lobbying to try and get clearer interpretation of the regs to clear up any mystery. Not sure why they don't just make the Captains single pilot trained and then follow the PDP exception but 🤷‍♂️. Maybe they're worried about an A062 yank like Boutique and they figure what they're doing works so they'll just keep @ it.
Old 03-17-2022, 03:38 PM
In a land of unicorns

Joined APC: Apr 2014
Position: Whale FO

Originally Posted by thefauxfox View Post
New hire here, just sat in on a company orientation meeting. They claim they previously tried to apply to the FAA for a PDP and were told by the district FSDO that they didn't need one because of "the way we operate" The way apparently is they don't train their PICs to be single pilot PICs. In other words, the captain is not allowed to fly single pilot. And according to Part 135 you CAN fly single pilot with an approved A/P and supporting docs but apparently they haven't applied for that exception so they are required IFR to fly 2 crew. Now, they also conduct Part 91 flights which means in that case yes, the PF is the one logging time, but other than that that's how they claim they have SIC logging in a single pilot aircraft under Part 135.

They've also said they got in a meeting w/ Jet Blue, Tropic Ocean, (a few others I can't remember) and are actively lobbying to try and get clearer interpretation of the regs to clear up any mystery. Not sure why they don't just make the Captains single pilot trained and then follow the PDP exception but 🤷‍♂️. Maybe they're worried about an A062 yank like Boutique and they figure what they're doing works so they'll just keep @ it.
When I upgraded a couple of years ago, they did not give Captains 135.297(g) check, which makes the FO a required crewmember under IFR and he can log the time. I assume this is still the same.

Enjoy Tradewind, it's a great company.
Old 03-20-2022, 02:48 AM
Line Holder

Originally Posted by dera View Post
When I upgraded a couple of years ago, they did not give Captains 135.297(g) check, which makes the FO a required crewmember under IFR and he can log the time. I assume this is still the same.

Thanks! I’m excited to jump on board! Do you know the specifics on how they move NE pilots to SJU for winter? Do they pay the rent we aren’t using back home + provide housing or….?
Old 03-20-2022, 04:38 PM
In a land of unicorns

Thanks! I’m excited to jump on board! Do you know the specifics on how they move NE pilots to SJU for winter? Do they pay the rent we aren’t using back home + provide housing or….?
My data is probably outdated, obviously no rent payment but they provide housing in SJU. I recommend Q4. Become friends with the bartenders at Alambique. You'll have a blast!
Old 03-23-2022, 07:25 AM
New Hire

Again read the regs 61.51 f
Logging second-in-command flight time. A person may log second-in-com- mand time only for that flight time during which that person:
(1) Is qualified in accordance with the second-in-command requirements of § 61.55 of this part, and occupies a crew- member station in an aircraft that re- quires more than one pilot by the air- craft’s type certificate; or
(2) Holds the appropriate category, class, and instrument rating (if an in- strument rating is required for the flight) for the aircraft being flown, and more than one pilot is required under the type certification of the aircraft or the regulations under which the flight is being conducted.

It says by aircraft type certificate.. PC-12 is single pilot

Yes sic is required if flying IFR with pax 135.101

Still they have A015 ops spec for single pilot IFR

Read 61.159 reg … about logging sic time .. it is very clear . Why POI told them not to get A062 , that’s interesting but as a company they should know the regs and question the POI.
Now , flying IFR only , is the way to go and look at the interpretation if company has A015 how they can use sic .
Old 03-23-2022, 07:31 AM
New Hire

Read 61.51 f reg .. then 61.159 c then 135.101

You can log it if flying only IFR with pax PDP allows you to log VFR and IFR. They still have A015 ops spec for single pilot IFR it is their problem for not checking pilots
Why POI told them not to get A062 is interesting. Interesting to see the reason … which reg ???
Old 03-23-2022, 12:45 PM
In a land of unicorns

Originally Posted by IvectorU View Post
Again read the regs 61.51 f
Logging second-in-command flight time. A person may log second-in-com- mand time only for that flight time during which that person:
(1) Is qualified in accordance with the second-in-command requirements of § 61.55 of this part, and occupies a crew- member station in an aircraft that re- quires more than one pilot by the air- craft’s type certificate; or
(2) Holds the appropriate category, class, and instrument rating (if an in- strument rating is required for the flight) for the aircraft being flown, and more than one pilot is required under the type certification of the aircraft or the regulations under which the flight is being conducted.

It says by aircraft type certificate.. PC-12 is single pilot

Yes sic is required if flying IFR with pax 135.101

Still they have A015 ops spec for single pilot IFR

Read 61.159 reg … about logging sic time .. it is very clear . Why POI told them not to get A062 , that’s interesting but as a company they should know the regs and question the POI.
Now , flying IFR only , is the way to go and look at the interpretation if company has A015 how they can use sic .
I've read them and fully understand them.

The opspec for single pilot IFR is not sufficient, the PIC also needs a 135.297(g) check. Read 135.297(g).
The training record that you get at Tradewind specifically says the pilot is NOT qualified to use autopilot in lieu of SIC., because the initial/recurrent training for most PICs does not fulfill the requirements of 135.297(g). That makes the SIC a required crewmember per 135.101 and thus 61.51(f)(2) allows him to log time when carrying passengers under IFR.
Note that (g) is PIC specific, not operator specific, so the fact that the operator holds A015 does not mean every PIC is allowed to utilize the relief provided by it.
Old 03-23-2022, 12:46 PM
In a land of unicorns

Originally Posted by IvectorU View Post
Read 61.51 f reg .. then 61.159 c then 135.101

You can log it if flying only IFR with pax PDP allows you to log VFR and IFR. They still have A015 ops spec for single pilot IFR it is their problem for not checking pilots
Why POI told them not to get A062 is interesting. Interesting to see the reason … which reg ???
Responding to this post too because you don't seem to understand the regs.

135.297(g) is PIC specific. It is not "their problem", it is their choice.
Old 03-23-2022, 01:05 PM
Line Holder

Responding to this post too because you don't seem to understand the regs.

135.297(g) is PIC specific. It is not "their problem", it is their choice.
And a good choice at that... if they couldn't hire FO's they'd be screwed for new hires...