Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

SATSair....Heads Up

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 10:20 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: Sim dude

OK, so you're Dave's buddy, and feel a need to post everything that your buddy complains about, even though you yourself have no connection with the company in question and dont realise that your buddy; 1) is misleading you, and 2) doesn't have the best grasp of FAR135.

In future you may look less foolish if you stick to posting things you have firsthand knowledge of.

Oh, and I think "moot point" is the term you were looking for.
Old 06-30-2007, 02:16 PM
Snakes & Nape

Joined APC: Nov 2006
Position: B-767 Captain
Default Webster says......

OK, I'll give you "moot" point if you'll correct your spelling of "realize", unless of course, you're writing from across the pond. You can also correct the punctuation of "don't" no matter which side of the Atlantic you live on.

Who's "Dave" and where is Waldo ???

Lighten up...it's a great life no matter what seat you're sitting in.

Last edited by Phantom Flyer; 07-01-2007 at 07:30 AM.
Old 09-08-2007, 05:09 AM
zman

I hear Satsair is in severe financial trouble. Any info. on your part?

Old 09-08-2007, 10:58 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2006

Originally Posted by zman View Post
You obviously have enough information to post this "news". Please share the facts that you had access to, that prompted you to post this. Thanks.

(Anyone could post a message like yours. For instance - "I heard Southwest was going to add 35 777's for new Int'l Ops next year. Any info on your part?" ... I don't remember where I heard it, it might've been a dream)
Old 09-08-2007, 01:24 PM
Banned

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: Space Shuttle PIC

Originally Posted by jdsavage View Post
Although I agree with you on many points I do have to point out a few things. Not once was I ever led to believe this job would be easy. I was told point blank in the interview I would be putting in long days.

Pay, you're right. Its not great, but its not bad for a single engine piston. Could it be higher, of course. Will they have to raise it, yes. Keep in mind this isn't a CRJ, or a 757.

As far as the weather goes, in the company this issue has been brought up and addressed. I suggest your read 135.173, and 135.175. 10 pax or more, we carry 3. No regs state we cannot do what we are doing. This also allows said pilot to better their skills at reading the weather and not relying on technology totally. Old skill being lost in this modern age called pilotage.

A/C, there are 14 of 26 with it. Is it perfect? NO WAY! I am from Florida myself, and I can personally attest to almost dying in the heat. What does the company intend to do? Get rid of the older planes with out as newer planes come in with it.

Lunch breaks? You need to eat? Just kidding. I have run into that also, so I spoke up about it. They were very willing to work in a lunch for me on many occasions. Most of the time they schedule a break long enough to eat.

Now, keep in mind I have worked for some garbage companies in the past. Is this operation perfect? Nope. Not bad though for 2.5 years old. In my interview they did just about all they could to scare me off, and made it sound a lot harder than it actually is. Maybe they went from one extreme to another. I couldn't say as I am not doing the interviews.
I can't believe Satsair would actually operate SR22s without air conditioning in the South!!!! That's crazy considering the warmer climates these aircraft fly into. Very surprising and disturbing for passengers who would expect different - especially if they have previously flown on an air-conditioned version.

I hate it when people say that pay is great "for flying a piston single." Who cares? Many of these same pilots have the qualifications to fly air-conditioned CRJs or Citations. The problem is called "opportunity cost." This is what you are missing out on when you are not flying for a better-paying operation even though you have the requisite qualifications. Sure, regional jobs don't start at $27K, but most Part 135 or Part 91 jobs will easily pay more than $30K for FO positions on turboprops or jets. You can find many King Air positions offering more than that starting salary - and I bet most King Airs offer air conditioning...
Old 09-09-2007, 11:08 AM
Snakes & Nape

Joined APC: Nov 2006
Position: B-767 Captain
Default Financial Position

Originally Posted by zman View Post

I don't think SATSair is publically traded and so the "true" financial condition of the company may be difficult to determine. Company literature indicates that they are replacing the non air-conditioned aircraft with new ones and the former Director of Operations stated in a public forum that he had flown the new Cirrus jet. With an equity stake in SATSair, Cirrus may use that outlet as it's initial launch customer.

Who knows ????

"Roger Center, out of 330 for FL500 and switching to DASC.
Good-day."
Old 09-09-2007, 11:23 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by Phantom Flyer View Post

I don't think SATSair is publically traded and so the "true" financial condition of the company may be difficult to determine. Company literature indicates that they are replacing the non air-conditioned aircraft with new ones and the former Director of Operations stated in a public forum that he had flown the new Cirrus jet. With an equity stake in SATSair, Cirrus may use that outlet as it's initial launch customer.

Who knows ????

"Roger Center, out of 330 for FL500 and switching to DASC.
Good-day."
Not sure which former DO you're talking about PF-the Cirrus Jet is still just a mock-up, so short of sitting in it making 'whooosh!' noises that part is false. The President did fly an Eclipse a few months ago though, so that may be what you heard about.

As for finances...like you say, not publicly traded, so who knows...but if they are struggling it is not because of lack of business.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:23 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jun 2007

Anything's possible, but I seriously doubt the company is in financial trouble. Business has been robust with lots of new very happy customers. I'm aware of one issue that has come up and a possible misunderstanding of the specifics regarding that issue could cause some people to think there is financial trouble, (especially if they heard it from maintenance); but I wouldn't be at liberty to discuss it. So I would say that unless you heard something from somebody with the, "big picture" definitely take it with a grain of salt. Every indication is that things are going very well. Flying and hiring are both steady right now.

Originally Posted by roughair View Post
You obviously have enough information to post this "news". Please share the facts that you had access to, that prompted you to post this. Thanks.

(Anyone could post a message like yours. For instance - "I heard Southwest was going to add 35 777's for new Int'l Ops next year. Any info on your part?" ... I don't remember where I heard it, it might've been a dream)

Last edited by skydweller97; 09-09-2007 at 07:00 PM.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:48 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jun 2007

The points you make are legitimate, but let me make some comments:

Originally Posted by Bill Lumberg View Post
I can't believe Satsair would actually operate SR22s without air conditioning in the South!!!! That's crazy considering the warmer climates these aircraft fly into.
"Crazy" is a strong word. The business' initial success and exponential growth was using the first 10 or so planes which were non air-conditioned. (The majority of the fleet is air conditioned now.) Lots of planes without air conditioning fly every day and people live through it. It's only a few minutes on the ground that it's an issue usually, within a few minutes you're cruising in nice cool air. Only time it's a big problem is during a wait in a long line to take off. This doesn't happen to us very often using primarily lower density airports.

Very surprising and disturbing for passengers who would expect different - especially if they have previously flown on an air-conditioned version.
Not quite, "disturbing" although some are surprised to hear the plane doesn't have air conditioning. Very few complaints though. Sometimes because of payload (the air conditioning adds over 50 pounds) people who are wanting to fly a load close on the max are told, "we can do that trip but it will have to be in one of the planes without A/C." So they know what they're getting into ahead of time. What's not surprising though is that, a LOT of pax have been willing to be hot for a few minutes to get there in an hour or two instead of driving 5-7 or having to go through security and connect through a major hub to do a short trip. It's called $450 hr with no dead-leg charges vs. $1100 or more an hour plus dead legs for a turbine to carry only 1-3 people. People are really happy to have the affordable alternative for the short trips. Now, that being said, all the new planes will have A/C and the new SR22 G3 mitigates the weight penalty with weight savings in the spar (carbon fiber now) and new composite prop.

I hate it when people say that pay is great "for flying a piston single." Who cares? Many of these same pilots have the qualifications to fly air-conditioned CRJs or Citations. The problem is called "opportunity cost." This is what you are missing out on when you are not flying for a better-paying operation even though you have the requisite qualifications. Sure, regional jobs don't start at $27K, but most Part 135 or Part 91 jobs will easily pay more than $30K for FO positions on turboprops or jets. You can find many King Air positions offering more than that starting salary - and I bet most King Airs offer air conditioning...
Why do you hate it if someone is happy doing what they're doing? Leave, "opportunity cost" in the Economics 101 textbook glossary where it belongs. Living in my home town, not having to deal with stress and expense (there goes some of those extra bucks from the "better" job) of a commute, not having to move around to chase a job, working for a good company that won't push you into dangerous weather, gives you exclnt maintenance, variety of destinations, etc. etc. PRICELESS. At least for me. . . not everyone likes it, but the majority of us do. Those who don't can move on to something else.

Last edited by skydweller97; 09-09-2007 at 07:14 PM.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:44 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Skydweller-

It doesnt look like I can PM you yet...so which of SATSair's intrepid birdmen are you? Initials OK...