Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Ameriflight

Old 12-24-2010, 09:25 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: Fixed wing, left

Originally Posted by jumpseat2024 View Post
I've also heard they have a pay-to-play arrangement with Korean Air trainees..anyone have any of these guys sitting right seat? Do they just sit on their hands most of the time, or do you have them doing stuff?
We switched legs usually. Having never CFIed, I found it a good chance to do some "instructing". Did see progress with them over time. Get an extra $5 a flight hour with them hanging out. Some are really on top of paper work, loading/unloading, and helping out as much as possible.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:35 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2009
Position: CRJ700 F/O

Sorry guys, I know I've seen a post on this somewhere in the past but can't seem to find it for the life of me...what all is covered in the phone interview? Any questions that could catch me off guard without thinking about them before hand?

Also, should I have my logbook, licenses, etc handy while on the phone?
Old 01-03-2011, 03:18 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2007

Sorry guys, I know I've seen a post on this somewhere in the past but can't seem to find it for the life of me...what all is covered in the phone interview? Any questions that could catch me off guard without thinking about them before hand?

There was nothing tricky in the phone interview, and I didn't have that stuff available when I did mine.

It was straight forward... just be yourself, and express interest in the company.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:31 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2010
Position: CFI

so i've read pretty much the entire thread here... but just want to clarify. How much flying can one expect on each airframe? I know its fly to your outstation and fly back. so 1-1.5 each leg and than back? Including the cheiftan? And is cheiftan still 6+ month'ish upgrade? Also, i'm sure DFW is a pretty senior hub, and turbine only... but what would the likelihood of getting a dfw base on the 99 be? And how long? Especially with a year from now or so with all the hiring going on?
Old 01-08-2011, 08:00 PM
Apteryx

Joined APC: Jan 2010

Originally Posted by f16jetmech View Post
so i've read pretty much the entire thread here... but just want to clarify. How much flying can one expect on each airframe? I know its fly to your outstation and fly back. so 1-1.5 each leg and than back? Including the cheiftan? And is cheiftan still 6+ month'ish upgrade? Also, i'm sure DFW is a pretty senior hub, and turbine only... but what would the likelihood of getting a dfw base on the 99 be? And how long? Especially with a year from now or so with all the hiring going on?
Flight sequences involve 2 to 6 or more flight hours per day; it varies widely with the trip you bid; the high flight-hour-per-day trips are relatively rare. Turnover in the Part 135 cargo business is expected to accelerate over the next several years, which is likely to shorten the time before you can successfully bid to transition into larger equipment. As to how long you'd need to wait for a BE-99 bid at DFW, it's anybody's guess -- depends upon when the current bid holders move on, whether BE-99 lines of flying are added or canceled at that base, seniority of other bidders, etc. For the first few years, you're better off to move up where and when you can, without being too concerned about the domicile. After you've got a few years' seniority and are captain in an type-rated airplane, then look for home-sweet-home.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:20 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2010
Position: CFI

Originally Posted by Oldog View Post
Flight sequences involve 2 to 6 or more flight hours per day; it varies widely with the trip you bid; the high flight-hour-per-day trips are relatively rare. Turnover in the Part 135 cargo business is expected to accelerate over the next several years, which is likely to shorten the time before you can successfully bid to transition into larger equipment. As to how long you'd need to wait for a BE-99 bid at DFW, it's anybody's guess -- depends upon when the current bid holders move on, whether BE-99 lines of flying are added or canceled at that base, seniority of other bidders, etc. For the first few years, you're better off to move up where and when you can, without being too concerned about the domicile. After you've got a few years' seniority and are captain in an type-rated airplane, then look for home-sweet-home.
Ok thanks for the information and reply. Type rated aircraft for AMF are metro/1900/emb120? Also, from what i've seen and heard, AMF is salary from the start? Looks like APC is saying 2333 a month starting? Is this true or do they pay you by the hour?
Old 01-09-2011, 07:33 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2006
Position: 'Bus Driver Right Seat

Originally Posted by f16jetmech View Post
Ok thanks for the information and reply. Type rated aircraft for AMF are metro/1900/emb120? Also, from what i've seen and heard, AMF is salary from the start? Looks like APC is saying 2333 a month starting? Is this true or do they pay you by the hour?
We are salaried non-exempt. We get a base salary, but there is the opportunity to make more money. Basic compensation is 40 "units" of pay a week. If there is a day that you were able to fly, but couldn't due to mx, wx, etc. then you still get paid. If you fly extra trips for a customer, are a training captain, check airman, then it is possible to make more money.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:57 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2008

Originally Posted by freightdog View Post
We are salaried non-exempt. We get a base salary, but there is the opportunity to make more money. Basic compensation is 40 "units" of pay a week. If there is a day that you were able to fly, but couldn't due to mx, wx, etc. then you still get paid. If you fly extra trips for a customer, are a training captain, check airman, then it is possible to make more money.
Dont forget if you stay in a turbine with AMF You get a check saying basically thanks for sticking around.

We can't even get a night differental.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:22 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Nov 2010
Position: c210 left

I have a class date for Feb 14 preferred base PDX.....Anyone know if thats a chieftain only base or is there any other equipment there? Just wondering if I could stick around there and after a while transition into turbine equip.

Last edited by kingdover; 01-14-2011 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 01-14-2011, 09:31 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Nov 2010
Position: c210 left

Jumpseat, Did you make it through the interview?

Anyone else going to be in the Feb 14 Class?

Last edited by kingdover; 01-14-2011 at 09:33 AM. Reason: typo