Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Ameriflight

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 04:22 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2011
Position: Any

Originally Posted by brian434 View Post
Thanks for the information. My wife is applying for a surgery residency down in Biloxi. You see much turn over at that base?
It's not really a base. It's one run. And yes, it does turn over about every 6 months or so. Though I wouldn't plan on getting it as a direct hire. So far there has never been an issue with filling that run. So you might need to hire on and then bid for it when it comes open.
Old 10-12-2014, 04:26 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by capnkirk View Post
FYI, they have first officers on some runs whose designated tasks are what you ask of them (paperwork, unloading, etc...). So if you do decide to take a job with AMF after your recovery, you may be able to work out something with the assistant chief pilot of your base to always have an FO on board - that way, you don't run the risk of getting hurt.
This might be a little more problematic than it sounds. Most of the FOs are always trying to get the highest flight time runs. So if you are flying a run that only gets 10 hours a week, you might not get an FO unless is a glut of them again.

A couple years ago we had FOs on almost every run. But in Texas right now (Dallas and San Antonio) we only have 3.
Old 10-12-2014, 06:38 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Oct 2014

That's good advise guys. I hope they'll look at me again a year down the road when I'm healed up and ready for it.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:06 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Sep 2011

Originally Posted by frmrbuffdrvr View Post
This might be a little more problematic than it sounds. Most of the FOs are always trying to get the highest flight time runs. So if you are flying a run that only gets 10 hours a week, you might not get an FO unless is a glut of them again.

A couple years ago we had FOs on almost every run. But in Texas right now (Dallas and San Antonio) we only have 3.
Definitely a good point - as far as 99 FOs goes, I know we were back logged for a while, so I assumed they were just taking what they could get.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:22 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2010
Position: 747 Captain, retired

Originally Posted by Turbine Time View Post
Hey guys. Been reading this forum for a long time. Finally decided to start talking aswell. This question is for anyone that has or is working for Ameriflight. I am considering taking a job with them starting in the 99. My question is, when it comes to loading and unloading the freight/boxes I know they say the pilot needs to help with that which I would have no problem with. So does that mean picking up moving around heavy boxes and such?... Unfortunately my issue is I just recently had back surgery and if I want to still be walking by the time I'm 50 I need to really be easy on it for a good while. So with that said would that be a deal breaker for me? Any personal experience would greatly help me determine if I can take the job at this time. Thanks guys!
I worked 9 years at AMF. If you have back problems I would avoid them. I've had back problems for years that I attribute to being stooped over in the back of a Navajo lifting heavy bags and boxes. If I don't do too much bending my back is find but repetitive bending over puts me flat on my back.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:20 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by capnkirk View Post
Definitely a good point - as far as 99 FOs goes, I know we were back logged for a while, so I assumed they were just taking what they could get.
Not as many now, as far as I know. There is currently only one 99 FO in the whole Texas system right now. And we have 5 99 runs they could fly on. And one of the open ones gets about 70 hours a month. Of course, it means they have to live in Pampa.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:07 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Oct 2014

Originally Posted by krudawg View Post
I worked 9 years at AMF. If you have back problems I would avoid them. I've had back problems for years that I attribute to being stooped over in the back of a Navajo lifting heavy bags and boxes. If I don't do too much bending my back is find but repetitive bending over puts me flat on my back.
Ya thats what I was afraid of. I was really looking forward to the experience too. Definitely can't risk my back for it though.... Frustrating.
Thank you for your advice and first hand experience. 9 years is certainly a trek on your back.
Old 10-17-2014, 09:10 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2008

I'be been through a lot of this thread. Can anyone give me info on the sdf and cvg bases? Anything would be appreciated.
Old 10-18-2014, 12:22 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2014

Originally Posted by hemaybedid View Post
I'be been through a lot of this thread. Can anyone give me info on the sdf and cvg bases? Anything would be appreciated.
Run away from CVG. Run away - run away - run away.

The abusive schedule is only the beginning.
Old 10-18-2014, 04:35 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Sep 2011

I don't have any experience myself with CVG, but from my understanding, SDF has a few pilots (4 maybe?) that rotate between reserve and 2 different runs. To my knowledge it's all in a 1900.