Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Ameriflight

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 03:53 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: the right side

Originally Posted by brian434 View Post
I see there is a route in MS. AL area. Anyone have the details? Aircraft type?
Gulfport MS, I believe. Metroliner
Old 10-11-2014, 09:18 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2011
Position: Any

Originally Posted by brian434 View Post
I see there is a route in MS. AL area. Anyone have the details? Aircraft type?
Based in Gulfport MS. Goes to Pensacola in the evening, stays overnight, back to Gulfport in the morning with a stop in Mobile.
And KS is correct; it is a metro.
Old 10-11-2014, 09:21 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2011
Position: Any

Originally Posted by Beech90 View Post
This. I agree 200%. If I'm sitting across the table and a resume comes alone with a AMF lifer, I'll automatically think weirdo or DUI. I'd this the case for everyone? No. Most lifers/4+ years? Yes.
Never had a DUI. Guess I must be a weirdo.

I'll take it.
Old 10-12-2014, 06:39 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2009

Originally Posted by frmrbuffdrvr View Post
Based in Gulfport MS. Goes to Pensacola in the evening, stays overnight, back to Gulfport in the morning with a stop in Mobile.
And KS is correct; it is a metro.

Thanks for the information. My wife is applying for a surgery residency down in Biloxi. You see much turn over at that base?
Old 10-12-2014, 10:27 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Oct 2014

Hey guys. Been reading this forum for a long time. Finally decided to start talking aswell. This question is for anyone that has or is working for Ameriflight. I am considering taking a job with them starting in the 99. My question is, when it comes to loading and unloading the freight/boxes I know they say the pilot needs to help with that which I would have no problem with. So does that mean picking up moving around heavy boxes and such?... Unfortunately my issue is I just recently had back surgery and if I want to still be walking by the time I'm 50 I need to really be easy on it for a good while. So with that said would that be a deal breaker for me? Any personal experience would greatly help me determine if I can take the job at this time. Thanks guys!
Old 10-12-2014, 10:36 AM
Banned

Joined APC: Jul 2012

Originally Posted by Turbine Time View Post
Hey guys. Been reading this forum for a long time. Finally decided to start talking aswell. This question is for anyone that has or is working for Ameriflight. I am considering taking a job with them starting in the 99. My question is, when it comes to loading and unloading the freight/boxes I know they say the pilot needs to help with that which I would have no problem with. So does that mean picking up moving around heavy boxes and such?... Unfortunately my issue is I just recently had back surgery and if I want to still be walking by the time I'm 50 I need to really be easy on it for a good while. So with that said would that be a deal breaker for me? Any personal experience would greatly help me determine if I can take the job at this time. Thanks guys!
No. You're loading and unloading all the boxes at the out station.m(on the UPS side which is 75% of our flying). Expect to unload anywhere from 500-2500LBS of cargo a day.
Old 10-12-2014, 11:25 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Oct 2014

Thanks for the reply beech. I was looking forward to the job. Sounds like I will have to hold off on it then.... Dang back
Old 10-12-2014, 02:10 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2014

Some runs don't touch a box, but that is rare. Beech90 is correct. You will usually be loading/unloading at least some of the freight.
Old 10-12-2014, 02:18 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2007
Position: single pilot cargo, turboprop

When you're confident about lifting an occasional 70lbs, and pushing a couple thousand lbs worth of boxes a couple feet on to the rollers, I'd say go for it.
Old 10-12-2014, 02:46 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Sep 2011

Originally Posted by Turbine Time View Post
Thanks for the reply beech. I was looking forward to the job. Sounds like I will have to hold off on it then.... Dang back

FYI, they have first officers on some runs whose designated tasks are what you ask of them (paperwork, unloading, etc...). So if you do decide to take a job with AMF after your recovery, you may be able to work out something with the assistant chief pilot of your base to always have an FO on board - that way, you don't run the risk of getting hurt.

I agree with the other replies though, definitely take it easy until you're back up to strength, AMF opportunities will still exist when you get better. Most UPS runs have you loading/offloading at the out stations, DHL runs are about 50/50 for both the outstation and main base, and FedEx is the opposite (you hardly ever touch a box).

On the whole for all box loading, you'll always have someone to load for you at the main base (if you want them to), but the outstation is where you'll have to do the offloading/uploading. Some main bases won't let you touch a package at all, it just depends on where you go.

When you get to bigger equipment (the metro, 1900, and 120), you don't load or offload anything from what I understand.

Good luck in your recovery! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions regarding AMF