Search
Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Ameriflight

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 10:25 AM
Banned

Joined APC: Jan 2013

Nobody has gone to the top 3, or SWA in the last 5 years, hell I would say 10 years. Allegiant is cool for what it is (another time building stepping stone) but when you have 3 year regional FOs weighing the option of going to Allegiant or not, it can't be that great. Maybe that will change when the new contract is negotiated but as of now it is a place to build 121 time in an Airbus until United calls.

Again it may change, but you're talking about two huge blows to commercial aviation (9/11 and 2008) that the airlines still haven't recovered from. That means there are thousands of overly qualified applicants with thousands of hours of jet time, or jet 121 time. That puts freight 135 at the bottom of the list of guys to choose from. Right now, you have to put in a lot of work, for the span of probably years to go anywhere but Allegiant from AMF. Wanna go JetBlue or Virgin, better have multiple internal recs, do at least two job fairs and hope to god somebody blue darts you. Then you get put in a waiting room where 4 other guys are interviewing that have 6,000 hours with 3,000 jet pic...
Old 10-10-2014, 04:41 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Sep 2011

I certainly think it will be interesting to see where hiring trends at these Majors (or LLC/Nationals as some people say) will go from here. If they're really losing as many pilots to the legacies as they say they are, then I don't see why it wouldn't be easier for an AMF pilot to acquire a job with the likes of Allegiant, Frontier, Spirit, or Jet Blue.

I know of a few AMFers who were recently hired with Allegiant (prior to the agreement) and Spirit.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-10-2014, 07:25 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2009
Position: Left seat of a Jet

Originally Posted by Jetlife View Post
Nobody has gone to the top 3, or SWA in the last 5 years, hell I would say 10 years. Allegiant is cool for what it is (another time building stepping stone) but when you have 3 year regional FOs weighing the option of going to Allegiant or not, it can't be that great. Maybe that will change when the new contract is negotiated but as of now it is a place to build 121 time in an Airbus until United calls.

Again it may change, but you're talking about two huge blows to commercial aviation (9/11 and 2008) that the airlines still haven't recovered from. That means there are thousands of overly qualified applicants with thousands of hours of jet time, or jet 121 time. That puts freight 135 at the bottom of the list of guys to choose from. Right now, you have to put in a lot of work, for the span of probably years to go anywhere but Allegiant from AMF. Wanna go JetBlue or Virgin, better have multiple internal recs, do at least two job fairs and hope to god somebody blue darts you. Then you get put in a waiting room where 4 other guys are interviewing that have 6,000 hours with 3,000 jet pic...
135 Jet freight is good time as well. I do agree with aboveandbeyond on EFIS, Jet, and FMS experience. Legacies are looking for that type of experience as well as who you know on the inside or outside of a company. You will be surprise how great connections move mountains when nothing else will. Fly Safely!!!
Old 10-10-2014, 07:47 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Aug 2007
Position: A320CA

Originally Posted by AboveAndBeyond View Post
It doesn't matter if it is ridiculous or not. That is not our call. It is the truth that legacy airlines no longer put much value in the type of flying that AMF does anymore. I am sure that I will get flamed for saying that, but look at what those companies are looking for in terms of pilots, and AMF doesn't measure up. They want EFIS, jet, passenger carrying experience. AMF's 30 year old turboprops with round gauges are just not what they want.

There are some REALLY GOOD pilots at AMF. There are guys and gals that would make really good airline captains some day. Hand flying old airplanes that are minimally equipped, in terrible weather, with a handful of things MEL'd is a great experience.
Aboveandbeyond and jetlife y'all are 100% correct. Additionally, the latest competitive hiring hours cited from a JetBlue recruiter at the ERAU Prescott job fair were 5800TT / 2500PIC with 121 and jet. FWIW, JB has seen much less attrition to legacies than they forecast for '14.
Old 10-10-2014, 08:56 AM
Banned

Joined APC: Jul 2012

Most people that have been at AMF more than 3ish years wouldn't fit in at a major or legacy. I know I may get shunned for this, but my experience has been that most people with more than 3 years here are just....weird. It's a good place to go, get a type, save some money, get 500TPIC, and bail for a regional.
Old 10-10-2014, 09:06 AM
Banned

Besides AMF does nothing to prep you for the world of passengers, flight attendants, gate agents, ACARS and REAL dispatch
Old 10-10-2014, 11:46 AM
Banned

Joined APC: Jan 2013

Originally Posted by Beech90 View Post
Most people that have been at AMF more than 3ish years wouldn't fit in at a major or legacy. I know I may get shunned for this, but my experience has been that most people with more than 3 years here are just....weird. It's a good place to go, get a type, save some money, get 500TPIC, and bail for a regional.
There are not "normal, go-getter" type guys that are at AMF, that have been there longer than 4 years right now. Back in 2009 when nobody was hiring? Ya it caused some good guys to sit for a bit. Plus there are good guys that drank the Kool-Aid and waited for SWA. But those guys are all gone now. The industry as a whole is hiring like crazy. There are great jobs out there, especially if you don't want to go to the regionals. Go make a buttload more money, fly a jet, have more time off, better QOL and be in a great position to apply to the majors. So to see somebody stay at AMF now, more than likely they have 3 DUIs and can't get a job anywhere else, or they are oddballs. I have a few friends there still and while they are my friends, they are weird as hell, and in turn they are perfectly suited to fly around solo, and go sit in a lonely crew apartment.
Old 10-10-2014, 11:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jetlife View Post
There are not "normal, go-getter" type guys that are at AMF, that have been there longer than 4 years right now. Back in 2009 when nobody was hiring? Ya it caused some good guys to sit for a bit. Plus there are good guys that drank the Kool-Aid and waited for SWA. But those guys are all gone now. The industry as a whole is hiring like crazy. There are great jobs out there, especially if you don't want to go to the regionals. Go make a buttload more money, fly a jet, have more time off, better QOL and be in a great position to apply to the majors. So to see somebody stay at AMF now, more than likely they have 3 DUIs and can't get a job anywhere else, or they are oddballs. I have a few friends there still and while they are my friends, they are weird as hell, and in turn they are perfectly suited to fly around solo, and go sit in a lonely crew apartment.
This. I agree 200%. If I'm sitting across the table and a resume comes alone with a AMF lifer, I'll automatically think weirdo or DUI. I'd this the case for everyone? No. Most lifers/4+ years? Yes.
Old 10-10-2014, 12:46 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2014

I would not say that all of the 6+ year guys are weird, but some certainly are. I have worked with at least 6 of the top 25 on the seniority list. Some I would consider friends. If you live in-base, are home every night, and making good pay, it isn't a terrible job and it is easy to get "stuck" there for a few years. Pay at AMF is negotiable for senior people. You can certainly make more than the listed pay rate if they want to keep you.

And yes, there are certainly some DUI's (among other convictions) at AMF.
Old 10-10-2014, 03:45 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2009

I see there is a route in MS. AL area. Anyone have the details? Aircraft type?