Ameriflight

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2020, 10:40 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2017

Originally Posted by neverposts View Post
"I would be in it for the long haul"

Stop fooling yourself.
He's not fooling himself. He's trying to fool us. Back to the regionals as soon as it opens back up. And Ameriflight and others know this. That's why they don't hire them.
Old 08-22-2020, 10:46 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by USMCFLYR View Post
So...you actually think every pilot wants to get on with the “big three”
No, not every pilot. But certainly one that was flying at the regionals and is now wanting "I would be in it for the long haul" just because they are losing their regional job.
Old 08-22-2020, 11:21 AM
XOJET Citation X

Joined APC: Mar 2005
Position: DO, Baker Aviation, Citation X

"I would be in it for the long haul"

LOL. Im used to dating super models but I'm going to start dating a 300 pound whale because she has a great personality I'm in in it for the long haul! Someone saying they don't want to get on with the big 3 is like saying they choose to have cancer. Stop fooling yourself. Have a friend that went to a respectable corporate outfit and tried to go back to ameriflight and got the TBNT email. Sounds like these minimum wage jobs that say we want someone with 2 years experience. I'm a 300 pound fat chick and i have 2 kids from 3 different dads and I'm independent don't need no man fish bicycle and here are my requirements he better. page 1.......this that this that this that. page 2. GMAFB.
I use to be under this false illusion also..the "big three" applies to everyone...after being at XO for a ur I have spoken to several folks with scenarios/lifestyle choices that make perfect sense on why they wiah to stay at XO and not go to a big 3 or SWA.

My $.02
Old 08-22-2020, 12:59 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2020

The exception doesn't negate the rule and the rule states that most people want the big 3.
Old 08-22-2020, 04:37 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

The exception doesn't negate the rule and the rule states that most people want the big 3.
You may THINK that is the rule because you have probably surrounded yourself with airline wanna-bes, but aviation is a big world and there are plenty who have other ideas of flying than your “big three”. Where this particular pilot would head right back to their regional when (and if) the recall comes, well....that is a choice the company will have to make based on what they think this pilot could provide the company based on either a short term plan or longer.
Old 08-22-2020, 06:08 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2015

Maybe the guy would just appreciate the stability cargo will provide and if he lives in in base where Ameriflight flies, that can become a easy reason stick around for a good minute.
Old 08-22-2020, 06:16 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by USMCFLYR View Post
You may THINK that is the rule because you have probably surrounded yourself with airline wanna-bes, but aviation is a big world and there are plenty who have other ideas of flying than your “big three”. Where this particular pilot would head right back to their regional when (and if) the recall comes, well....that is a choice the company will have to make based on what they think this pilot could provide the company based on either a short term plan or longer.

1. going from a regional to part 135 single pilot cargo operation isn’t as easy as he may think.
2. Never say you would be in for the long haul if you have never worked at said operator. Sure, say it in an interview in a much more professional way, but to proclaim it when facing a furlough or complete job loss is short sighted.
3. Ameriflight is a job for the young time builders, not for the middle aged regional captain. I did it for 3 years over a decade ago. Got a lot of great experience from it, but I’m not gonna go back to it ever again.
Old 08-23-2020, 07:03 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2020

Originally Posted by Hawaii808 View Post
1. going from a regional to part 135 single pilot cargo operation isn’t as easy as he may think.
2. Never say you would be in for the long haul if you have never worked at said operator. Sure, say it in an interview in a much more professional way, but to proclaim it when facing a furlough or complete job loss is short sighted.
3. Ameriflight is a job for the young time builders, not for the middle aged regional captain. I did it for 3 years over a decade ago. Got a lot of great experience from it, but I’m not gonna go back to it ever again.
Same, that’s by far the most difficult flying I’ve done.
Old 08-24-2020, 10:01 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by Hawaii808 View Post
Some very good points.
The fact that the VAST MAJORITY of the cargo at AMF is now "no touch" makes it easier for an older pilot to do feeder cargo. Not saying it's much easier than it was 20 years ago, but not having to push you own cargo to the door at outstations for a driver is a big help.
Yes, it's a different kind of flying, oddly rewarding for some, with lots of hand flying, down in the weather. Intense at times, typically with older, less well equipped equipment.
Honestly it's the type of job that suits some people well...but is a nightmare for others. Much more of a blue-collar type of flying job, and if it's in a location you want to be in, it can honestly be a good job (perhaps a spouse who loves their job and you hate commuting, or like small town rural life on an "outbased" route).
Will you ever make HUGE money? No, but for many people finding the right mix of QOL, location, money and time is more important.
Would I suggest a typical RJ pilot move a family half way across the country for a job like this? Not likely unless they really disliked the regional lifestyle, and REALLY want something totally different.
Yes, you will get you shirt dirty, get soaked in the rain, freeze you butt off in winter, work some odd hours, often on minimum rest. What you get is typically a schedule you know months in advance, and typically all day or all night at home with the weekends off...not having to deal with terminals, etc is a plus IMHO.
​​​​​​EVERY job has BS, it's just a matter of finding the flavor of BS that you can tolerate.
Honestly, after years of corporate flying, I ended up going back to cargo for the stability. Cargo tends to change much more slowly than passangers when the eccnomy goes up or down....
​​​
Old 08-24-2020, 12:14 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by ZippyNH View Post
Some very good points.
The fact that the VAST MAJORITY of the cargo at AMF is now "no touch" makes it easier for an older pilot to do feeder cargo.
​​​
Honestly, that’s pretty awesome!
Cargo is definitely a more stable job, but I would aim a little higher than AMF. Runs get cut and changed all the time on the part 135 side and commuting at AMF is almost impossible. To each his own though. Being home every night is awesome and I’ve pretty much been able to do that my entire career (minus the night cargo I did, but I was home during the day).