Search
Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Ameriflight

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2020, 12:35 PM
In the dumpster fire

Joined APC: Jan 2010

Since when did any Amflight run become commutable!?

Im pretty sure I will be on the street October 1 if this plague doesnt end soon! (my airline took part in the bailout so no furloughs for us till then).

As a former SA227 driver over there, what are the chances be of being hired into the sewer pipe off the street? Of course I left on good terms, never had any "issues" while I was there (2009-2013).

Are you guys still flying it single pilot? Thinking my furlough date would most likely be right before peak so it made me think AMF may be an option for me. Also, how senior is SJU/BQN these days? Wouldnt maind going out there to ride out the (potential) furlough.
Old 04-03-2020, 12:51 PM
Ameriflight

Joined APC: Sep 2014

Originally Posted by SIUav8er View Post

Im pretty sure I will be on the street October 1 if this plague doesnt end soon! (my airline took part in the bailout so no furloughs for us till then).

As a former SA227 driver over there, what are the chances be of being hired into the sewer pipe off the street? Of course I left on good terms, never had any "issues" while I was there (2009-2013).

Are you guys still flying it single pilot? Thinking my furlough date would most likely be right before peak so it made me think AMF may be an option for me. Also, how senior is SJU/BQN these days? Wouldnt maind going out there to ride out the (potential) furlough.
Ameriflight is still not commutable. Pilots must live within 1.5 hours of the base they are assigned to (agreed upon with their recruiter before signing their offer letter). Maybe BrazilBusDriver is doing that on his own, not sure.

Yes, we hire SA227 Captains off the street. Your experience with it is a huge plus!

Still flying it mostly single pilot.

No PR openings at the moment, but with the number of routes and aircraft, they'll pop open, no doubt!
Old 04-03-2020, 12:57 PM
In the dumpster fire

Joined APC: Jan 2010

Originally Posted by FreightDogs View Post
Ameriflight is still not commutable. Pilots must live within 1.5 hours of the base they are assigned to (agreed upon with their recruiter before signing their offer letter). Maybe BrazilBusDriver is doing that on his own, not sure.

Yes, we hire SA227 Captains off the street. Your experience with it is a huge plus!

No PR openings at the moment, but with the number of routes and aircraft, they'll pop open, no doubt!
Great info! Thank you!
Old 04-04-2020, 04:50 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2018

Originally Posted by FreightDogs View Post

Yeah by “commute” I really mean get an apartment in base and fly home and/or drag the family out every few weeks for 24-36 hours until we can sell the current place.

A little tough to show houses at the moment with those pesky shelter in place orders. We’ll have been there 24 months come early November so we’ll probably start showing the place in September, assuming my state’s shelter in place order is lifted. Can’t wait to get taken to the cleaners!

Edit: housing situation.

Last edited by BrazilBusDriver; 04-04-2020 at 05:08 AM.
Old 04-04-2020, 08:35 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2018

Heh, I probably deserve that - poor choice of words. We throw around that word "commute" all over this board, so I've just gotten used to saying it, but I'm aware of the type of schedule I'll be working and I guess I really meant "maintain two households" until I can sell or rent the current place...I'd like to think the end of shelter in place here would line up okay with finishing training, but as an eternal worst case planner, I'm running on the assumption I'm gonna have to pay for an apartment for me and a mortgage payment for them for 4-6 months.

Know this is a small industry, so I really don't want to give anyone the impression that I'm gonna be some flake that will miscommute to work all the time, cause I'm not and I won't. I'm looking forward to working here and the baseline assumption we have is that we're moving once we're legally able to do so.

Who knew words meant things?
Old 04-04-2020, 03:38 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2019
Position: B747 FO

Wow! those Beech 99 jobs disappeared fast. You'd normally see an entire list of jobs, and now there's just a handful.
Is it possible to get hired into the 1900 with 1500h? (500h turbine and 1000h multi)
Old 04-05-2020, 08:12 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2017

Originally Posted by BrazilBusDriver View Post
Who knew words meant things?
Don't stress it...
People who are jealous with extra time on their hands who aren't willing to do what needs to be done too keep working....
They have their own worst case planned out in their own heads... figured it might be 3 months and get nervous when they see people planning for the possibility of a MUCH WORSE situation that might take a few years the industry to work its way back to close to where it was.
The "get it done" attitude in both taking care if your family's needs and future rather than sitting on a couch speaks volumes of character.
Some people see "commute" and jump to conclusions without reading deeper...and let's face it....lots of people are really stressed and sound up at the moment.
Think everyone gets a couple free passes!
Old 04-05-2020, 01:35 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2017

Old 04-05-2020, 02:28 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2016

Originally Posted by BravoPapa View Post
Old 04-05-2020, 03:44 PM
Mmmm wine

Joined APC: Feb 2020
Position: A220 FO

Originally Posted by BravoPapa View Post
That is what AMF is for. Why on earth would somebody with other job prospects choose to fly crap airplanes 5-6 says a week for mediocre pay?

AMF has always thrived during economic downturns. The quality of applicants will rise because of this. If the bonus structure hasn't already gone away, it will absolutely go away, and they will have no trouble finding pilots for the foreseeable future.