Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Ameriflight

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 11:05 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Sep 2018

Greetings!

I'm currently a full-time software developer and part-time CFI looking to make the switch to a full-time flying career. In my research, Ameriflight keeps coming up as a good option for where I'm at.

I've slogged through most of the recent messages in this thread, which has been incredibly helpful. I've found the answers to the majority of my questions, but I would like to get a few more details (I've been running my own software development company for 25 years, so jumping ship isn't a decision I'm taking lightly).

I have a family and would like to find something that minimizes my time away from home. From what I've read here, living near CVG would seem to give me the opportunity to do that with Ameriflight once I have enough time for the left seat. Is that an accurate conclusion or just wishful thinking? Can you count on staying at the same base for the long-term (i.e. if I don't get CVG, does it make sense to move, or suck it up and commute)?

I understand that the time I spent building to left seat time would be spent anywhere in the country. What does that schedule look like? How much time would be spent home/away from home?

Regarding training time, I think I saw that it would be six straight weeks away from home?

And speaking of training, once you reach ATP minimums, does Ameriflight have an ATP-CTP course?

Finally, what is the time commitment after training?

TIA for any info!
Old 09-28-2018, 11:31 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2007
Position: single pilot cargo, turboprop

Originally Posted by markd View Post
Greetings!

I'm currently a full-time software developer and part-time CFI looking to make the switch to a full-time flying career. In my research, Ameriflight keeps coming up as a good option for where I'm at.

I've slogged through most of the recent messages in this thread, which has been incredibly helpful. I've found the answers to the majority of my questions, but I would like to get a few more details (I've been running my own software development company for 25 years, so jumping ship isn't a decision I'm taking lightly).

I have a family and would like to find something that minimizes my time away from home. From what I've read here, living near CVG would seem to give me the opportunity to do that with Ameriflight once I have enough time for the left seat. Is that an accurate conclusion or just wishful thinking? Can you count on staying at the same base for the long-term (i.e. if I don't get CVG, does it make sense to move, or suck it up and commute)?

I understand that the time I spent building to left seat time would be spent anywhere in the country. What does that schedule look like? How much time would be spent home/away from home?

Regarding training time, I think I saw that it would be six straight weeks away from home?

And speaking of training, once you reach ATP minimums, does Ameriflight have an ATP-CTP course?

TIA for any info!
CVG is closing.
Old 09-28-2018, 12:59 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2017

Originally Posted by own nav View Post
CVG is closing.
Runs were multi day trips (all but 1)....so "based" there was a bit of a misnomer compared to other bases....
Those trips can effectively be based MANY places.....
Old 09-29-2018, 05:23 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Feb 2018

If I would like to get into the January class, when would be the best time to apply? I already meet all the minimums for the BE99 captain position, but have some prior committments for the rest of the year. Thank you.
Old 09-29-2018, 06:18 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2010
Position: CRJ

Originally Posted by mdiepenbroek View Post
If I would like to get into the January class, when would be the best time to apply? I already meet all the minimums for the BE99 captain position, but have some prior committments for the rest of the year. Thank you.
Apply now and let the recruiter know when you're available to start.
Old 09-30-2018, 04:36 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Feb 2018

Originally Posted by Selfmade92 View Post
Apply now and let the recruiter know when you're available to start.
Thank you!
Old 10-01-2018, 04:52 PM
New Hire

Originally Posted by neal View Post
Thank you FreightDogs,

I am filling out the application now. It sure is long! I hope to know more about the training schedule after the first day of class.

Thanks again! Neal
FreightDogs,

I got an email from HR. I guess I don't meet the minimum requirements. I am very sorry that I wasted your time. Thanks for your help.

Neal
Old 10-02-2018, 01:11 PM
Ameriflight

Joined APC: Sep 2014

Greetings!

TIA for any info!
Hi, there!

Hoping to help you out with some answers.

I'm not sure how much flight time you have, so I'll list the First Officer options here:

Regular FO: 500 TT, 25 ME, 100 XC (defined as point to point), 25 night, 500 PIC, 75 instrument
You would get a base and would need to live near that base. Schedules are typically Monday through Friday, morning to evening - nights and weekends at home.

Accelerated FO: 800 TT, 25 ME, 300 XC (defined as point to point), 100 night, 500 PIC, 75 instrument
You would not get a base and instead we would fly you to our high timed routes from an airport near your home in order to get you to Captain mins asap. Schedules for this position are not as easy. Since we are trying to get you to Captain mins asap, you can be away from home on assignment at one of our bases for weeks at a time. The flying schedule is the same, but you'll be away from home until you reach 1,000 TT (restricted Captain) and can get a base.

If you are at or over these mins, you will come in as a Captain: 1,200 TT, 50 ME, 500 XC (defined as point to point), 100 night, 500 PIC, 75 instrument.

We are closing our CVG base. As of late, we only have one route flying out of there, so it just doesn't make sense to have it as a base anymore.

Training is six weeks in length and yes, you should plan to be away from home that long. The first two weeks are at our headquarters in DFW. The next depend on aircraft.

Yes, once you reach ATP mins and upgrade to a type rated aircraft, we will pay for and send you to an ATP-CTP course.

Time commitment? Like a training contract? There's only one training contract and it is for the ACP FO positions. It's a flight time contract with the total length being 1,200 TT flying with us.

Hope that helps!
Old 10-02-2018, 01:31 PM
New Hire

FreightDogs,

Thanks so much for the information. I知 looking at sometime next summer (I have to wrap up some commitments first). By then I値l have over 900 hours, so I would be looking at the accelerated FO program.

I値l have to put a lot of thought into it, though. Basically your talking about months away from home, which would be hard to do with a family. I might not have a wife anymore when I get home! :-)

I appreciate your help!
Old 10-03-2018, 05:12 AM
Ameriflight

Joined APC: Sep 2014

FreightDogs,

Thanks so much for the information. I知 looking at sometime next summer (I have to wrap up some commitments first). By then I値l have over 900 hours, so I would be looking at the accelerated FO program.

I値l have to put a lot of thought into it, though. Basically your talking about months away from home, which would be hard to do with a family. I might not have a wife anymore when I get home! :-)

I appreciate your help!
No problem!

If it helps, at 900 TT, you'd only be in the program for 100 flight hours (so maybe two months). Our pilots average 60 flight hours per month and we'll try to put you on the highest timed routes.