Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Ameriflight

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 08:25 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2017

Originally Posted by 23Cargopilot23

...You will not know your base ahead of time. You will likely not get the base you want. You will not get home based, don’t expect it. That’s how they rope you in.

You will get more pay than the standard they quote for most routes.

It seems to me that if a position is open at a base, you’ll get it. If a position is not open at your base, wait a short while and it will be.

I haven’t seen routes being paid more than standard yet, but I’m still new here. Are you talking about special routes?
Old 10-21-2018, 04:05 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2017

Originally Posted by 23Cargopilot23
Management is nearly universally terrible.
I am continually amazed by how (1) AMF has a bad reputation and (2) they don't care about it and don't do anything about it.

It seems their bad reputation continues to be justified.
Old 10-21-2018, 04:37 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by PT6 Flyer
I am continually amazed by how (1) AMF has a bad reputation and (2) they don't care about it and don't do anything about it.

It seems their bad reputation continues to be justified.
It definitely is not my first job in aviation...yes, I see people in the first jobs are often idealistic and have unrealistic expectations in what they expect at a job...saw it very often at other places......AMF has done everything they said they would. No complaints. Sure, communication at ANY company could be better internally, but anybody that has worked at company or two of any size knows this. Attitude goes a long way, and while no place is perfect, the biggest plus here is you are not backed into a corner or made to doing anything by a union contract...you can make a case, explain, and a supervisor can make a decision. Yes, there is a job to get done, like at any company.
I believe that many unhappy people are just unhappy because suddenly "the dream" of flying suddenly become"the grind" and some are not ready for it...it's true at any regional or major. It's a job...it's a paycheck...it's a lifestyle.
Find the one that suits you best, and be happy.
Old 10-21-2018, 03:03 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2017

Zippy,

I am glad to hear that AMF works for you.
Old 10-21-2018, 04:20 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by PT6 Flyer
Zippy,

I am glad to hear that AMF works for you.
So far it's worked....I think that EVERY regional has a thread that is titled something along the lines of "don't come here" or "if I had known".... heck...if you spend time jump seating, you will find that even the majors have unhappy pilots....but the grass is always green on the other side of the fence....
If people are realistic, and understand what the job is, I think they stand a better chance of some level of happiness and satisfaction. Careful selection of routes based on factors important to the parties involved is important. For me, that means varrations in schedule to prevent route-rut, and on some runs, as eluded to the company tag-line, "delivering more than cargo", I help to fight a deadly disease that kills many, one that took my own mother years ago, so there is an added bonus of an intangible feeling of doing something to help others.

https://w3.ameriflight.com/moving-cargo-saving-lives/

it's in everybody's best interest to use these threads to try to do exactly that, so people aren't blindly going to companies, then jumping ship, creating large training backlogs, and making shortages of flight crew worse, and potentially reducing first year pay everywhere due to turnover.
Idealistic, maybe, but honestly more realistic IMHO.
Old 10-25-2018, 06:34 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Oct 2008
Position: Office Desk Captain

How difficult/reasonable is the process to move to another base? For example at hire, if the base you desire isn't open (and go to one that is), but an opening does pop up in a few months at the one you desire?
Old 10-25-2018, 09:43 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2018

Originally Posted by flyingsailor
How difficult/reasonable is the process to move to another base? For example at hire, if the base you desire isn't open (and go to one that is), but an opening does pop up in a few months at the one you desire?
Thats easy. Bids go out every month and list open equipment in each domicile. Say Be99-SLC or B1900-BUR. There have been alot of opening recently and sometimes there are multiple openings for the same aircraft in the same base. You can bid open equipment that you are qualified for in the desired base and as long as nobody 1. already in the base bids for that aircraft type or 2. someone that is senior to you at the company (but in a different base than what you are bidding for bids for it) you get it. There is an domicile commitment of 6 months for each move.
Old 10-25-2018, 02:29 PM
On Reserve

Awesome. Thank you!
Old 10-25-2018, 06:53 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by flyingsailor
Awesome. Thank you!
Many pilots also will also take a TDY, a temporary duty assignment for extra $$ to go to a different base...so there are some interesting possibilities for people flexible with locations.
Old 10-26-2018, 05:07 AM
On Reserve

Originally Posted by ZippyNH
Many pilots also will also take a TDY, a temporary duty assignment for extra $$ to go to a different base...so there are some interesting possibilities for people flexible with locations.

Interesting.. Thanks for the info, I appreciate it!