Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Ameriflight

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 02:54 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Feb 2018

Originally Posted by FreightDogs View Post
Hi, there!

1. It's relatively easy to get PDX. If you look at our careers site, you'll see what's currently open for PDX. Those positions have already been looked over by our current pilots, so it's up for grabs on a first come first serve basis.
2. If you are at 1,200TT, you'll be placed in the BE99 as a Captain. (Of course, this is only as long as your ME, XC, Night, PIC, and Instrument are at our 99 Captain mins, as well.)
3. Your interview is only good for six months, so sometime within that time frame. But I'd say if you are shooting for September, apply at the end of July or the beginning of August.

Also, here's the full list of time mins for our BE99 Captain positions: 1,200 TT, 150 ME, 500 XC (defined as point to point), 100 night, 500 PIC, 75 instrument
Not all of those numbers are hard, so if you can compensate for a spot you are low on, you'll still be able to get a spot.

Hope that helps!
Thank you for your quick response! The only hours I might be short on would be the night hours, but I'll be trying my best to get them in before the end of summer. I'm currently at 65 but don't do much night flying at my job. That's good to know those hours aren't strict though!
Old 02-15-2018, 02:56 PM
On Reserve

Originally Posted by frmrbuffdrvr View Post
Except for the E120 that requires a first officer, the only reason we hire into the right seat is to give a pilot a way to reach part 135 required times for IFR captain. So if you are at or just past 135 numbers (1200TT, 500 CC, 100 night, 75 instrument) you will go straight to the left seat of a BE99. Don't worry about not having flown 135 before. We work with you during training to get you up to speed on 135 requirements. And we have all sorts of folks available (training captains, chief pilots, etc) available 24/7 to answer any questions and keep you safe and on track.
Great, thank you! I just know it'd be a big change from my current job but that's reassuring.
Old 02-16-2018, 12:02 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2017

Originally Posted by mdiepenbroek View Post
Great, thank you! I just know it'd be a big change from my current job but that's reassuring.
Compared to many 135 jobs where the Pilot is alone, doing all the planning, AMF is more if a hybrid with some 121 like policies and procedures.
Dispatch does most of the flight planning, with the pilot using a "canned" flight plan or one dispatch files one off for non-regular flights.
Sure, you do need to know your stuff, but the company is big enough that there is almost always somebody around to ask when a situation occurs that you are not sure of...
A very different situation than when I jumped started dabbling in 135 in 1997, and my first full time 135 job in 1999, when it was a "sink or swim" situation.
Yes, the training period is a bit longer than the normal 135 jobs at AMERIFLIGHT, but it is largely to ensure you are safe and confident when you are suddenly alone in a turbo-prop, at night, possibly in ice.
Yes, the lifestyle of 135 is a bit different than airline jobs, but I enjoy the time off, including most weekends. I also enjoy not having to eat most of my meals in a airport fast food restaurant while random people stare at you in uniform....
Yes, many folks on these forums want that lifestyle, but IMO CARGO can provide a very good quality of life that many people just don't consider.
Good luck with you choice...I always thought I would fly passangers but then stumbled into 135 cargo and 91k and can say I am happy.

Last edited by ZippyNH; 02-16-2018 at 12:45 PM.
Old 02-16-2018, 05:48 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2011
Position: Any

Originally Posted by mdiepenbroek View Post
Thank you for your quick response! The only hours I might be short on would be the night hours, but I'll be trying my best to get them in before the end of summer. I'm currently at 65 but don't do much night flying at my job. That's good to know those hours aren't strict though!
The TT, CC, Night and Instrument are hard figures for IFR captains as those are specified by the FARs. But we can work with that with our First Officer program. Talk with our recruiters about where you are.
Old 02-16-2018, 06:19 PM
On Reserve

Originally Posted by ZippyNH View Post
Compared to many 135 jobs where the Pilot is alone, doing all the planning, AMF is more if a hybrid with some 121 like policies and procedures.
Dispatch does most of the flight planning, with the pilot using a "canned" flight plan or one dispatch files one off for non-regular flights.
Sure, you do need to know your stuff, but the company is big enough that there is almost always somebody around to ask when a situation occurs that you are not sure of...
A very different situation than when I jumped started dabbling in 135 in 1997, and my first full time 135 job in 1999, when it was a "sink or swim" situation.
Yes, the training period is a bit longer than the normal 135 jobs at AMERIFLIGHT, but it is largely to ensure you are safe and confident when you are suddenly alone in a turbo-prop, at night, possibly in ice.
Yes, the lifestyle of 135 is a bit different than airline jobs, but I enjoy the time off, including most weekends. I also enjoy not having to eat most of my meals in a airport fast food restaurant while random people stare at you in uniform....
Yes, many folks on these forums want that lifestyle, but IMO CARGO can provide a very good quality of life that many people just don't consider.
Good luck with you choice...I always thought I would fly passangers but then stumbled into 135 cargo and 91k and can say I am happy.
I have been leaning towards cargo ever since I started flying. Also, Ameriflight awarded me a scholarship during college so they have been my number one choice for a few years. I think the schedule would suit me better as well. Definitely looking forward to applying later this year! Thanks for the info.

Last edited by mdiepenbroek; 02-16-2018 at 06:34 PM.
Old 02-16-2018, 06:22 PM
On Reserve

Originally Posted by frmrbuffdrvr View Post
The TT, CC, Night and Instrument are hard figures for IFR captains as those are specified by the FARs. But we can work with that with our First Officer program. Talk with our recruiters about where you are.
Good to know! Thank you. I'll definitely be working on squeezing in those night hours when I can. I'm currently doing aerial survey and my contract will be up some time in the summer so I will definitely contact recruiters closer to that point, unless you advise it's better to do it sooner.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:56 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2007
Position: single pilot cargo, turboprop

Good post, Zippynh. This job can be 70 hours a week or 25, depending on your perspective.

If you only enjoy your hard time off, and just "kill time" on your layovers, you will likely hate this job.

Then again, if that is the case, why are you even a pilot in the first place? Get out and enjoy the places you visit, it's one of the perks of our career.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:47 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2017
Position: Whole lotta sitting

Originally Posted by own nav View Post
Good post, Zippynh. This job can be 70 hours a week or 25, depending on your perspective.

If you only enjoy your hard time off, and just "kill time" on your layovers, you will likely hate this job.

Then again, if that is the case, why are you even a pilot in the first place? Get out and enjoy the places you visit, it's one of the perks of our career.
OwnNav,

curious about the downtime question. I'm sure it's highly dependent on specific location, etc, but how much down time is there during the day? Is there typically a 3-4 hour period where a person could do some on-line work?
Old 02-18-2018, 12:25 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2017

Originally Posted by DBono View Post
OwnNav,

curious about the downtime question. I'm sure it's highly dependent on specific location, etc, but how much down time is there during the day? Is there typically a 3-4 hour period where a person could do some on-line work?
Very route dependent....have gone on trips with lots of flying, where it was "go, go, go" and some where you have lots of time to spend doing other things. One thing to keep in mind is that you must always rest enough to be safe, and flying mostly single pilot, you don't have anybody to watch you for mistakes, and the paperwork, etc.
First and foremost, remember it is a full time job if you are on the schedule. Yes, home based Captains do get full weeks off at home, when not "on".
My suggestion, find a way to live within your income so you are not spreading yourself too thin, especially when you start. After a few months or a year, maybe you could do some side gigs...but trying to do too much can lead to errors and fatigue. Many freight pilots have lost friends, myself included, that have known people who have tried to do "extra" and made dumb mistakes.... mistakes might result in a "resume writing event" or worse, loss of life.
Old 02-18-2018, 03:24 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Mar 2007

Can anyone reply as to where home based captains are being sent?

Also, will it typically vary for each trip, or do they generally wind up going to the same bases?

I am currently in A&P school and will be graduating in June. Is it too early to apply now, or should I wait a few months?

I am just below 3600 hours, 1400 of that in helicopters, and just over 500 multi-engine FW. I was hoping to get a seat in the B1900 or Metro.

Thanks for any info!