Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Ameriflight

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 04:58 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2017

Originally Posted by tailwheel View Post
Can anyone reply as to where home based captains are being sent?

Also, will it typically vary for each trip, or do they generally wind up going to the same bases?

I am currently in A&P school and will be graduating in June. Is it too early to apply now, or should I wait a few months?

I am just below 3600 hours, 1400 of that in helicopters, and just over 500 multi-engine FW. I was hoping to get a seat in the B1900 or Metro.

Thanks for any info!
Home based captains go anywhere a captain is needed...
Be it for turnover, vacation, or a position that has not been filled with a bid...but talking to others, there is a bit of a regular routine in some cases.
Similarly, where you get sent seems to be more of "luck of the draw" and based on the cost of an airline ticket, and schedule. I live on the east coast, but this trip I am on the West coast.
I would suggest that you chat with a recruiter, but when I applied, it went from paperwork to job offer in just a few hours. I am not sure how far in the future they schedule people for class, but sure they will know (maybe even chime in here).
Old 02-19-2018, 06:03 AM
Ameriflight

Joined APC: Sep 2014

Originally Posted by dera View Post
What would the projected career path be for someone with 135 IFR mins, but only 15 ME time?
Here are our lowest IFR mins: 1,200 TT, 50 ME, 500 XC (defined as point to point), 100 night, 500 PIC, 75 instrument
That's for a Chieftain Captain IFR position. Obviously, the ME for it is still a little high. The 50 ME is not a hard requirement and you'll get a few hours in training. However, 25 is the absolute lowest we can take, so I think you'll have to get more ME first.

Hope that helps!
Old 02-19-2018, 06:11 AM
Ameriflight

Joined APC: Sep 2014

Can anyone reply as to where home based captains are being sent?

Also, will it typically vary for each trip, or do they generally wind up going to the same bases?

I am currently in A&P school and will be graduating in June. Is it too early to apply now, or should I wait a few months?

I am just below 3600 hours, 1400 of that in helicopters, and just over 500 multi-engine FW. I was hoping to get a seat in the B1900 or Metro.

Thanks for any info!
Hi, there!

Home-Based Captains are sent anywhere we need them throughout our system. That being said, we try to keep them close to where they live (as the plane ticket will likely be more cost-effective that way).

If you feel you'd be available for a July class, you'd probably wait to interview until May. However, you can still apply and get in our system to get the process started.

Definitely apply for a BE1900 or Metro. With the hours you listed, so far you'd be qualified for one of those.

Hope that helps!
Old 02-19-2018, 07:19 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Mar 2007

Thanks all!

Any chance Ameriflight will be at the NW Aviation Conference in Puyallup, WA next week?
Old 02-19-2018, 11:12 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2007
Position: single pilot cargo, turboprop

Originally Posted by DBono View Post
OwnNav,

curious about the downtime question. I'm sure it's highly dependent on specific location, etc, but how much down time is there during the day? Is there typically a 3-4 hour period where a person could do some on-line work?
A lot of our schedules are UPS, meaning leave in the morning, all day layover, return to base at night.

ZippyNH brings up some valid points. Be flexible for weather/customer/mechanical delays, and get your rest. But yeah, the time is yours. We have had pilots do online courses on layovers, bring in extra income etc. But again, you need to show up to work rested and ready to go.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:39 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2015
Position: Downward Dog

Originally Posted by ZippyNH View Post
Compared to many 135 jobs where the Pilot is alone, doing all the planning, AMF is more if a hybrid with some 121 like policies and procedures.
Dispatch does most of the flight planning, with the pilot using a "canned" flight plan or one dispatch files one off for non-regular flights.
Sure, you do need to know your stuff, but the company is big enough that there is almost always somebody around to ask when a situation occurs that you are not sure of...
A very different situation than when I jumped started dabbling in 135 in 1997, and my first full time 135 job in 1999, when it was a "sink or swim" situation.
Yes, the training period is a bit longer than the normal 135 jobs at AMERIFLIGHT, but it is largely to ensure you are safe and confident when you are suddenly alone in a turbo-prop, at night, possibly in ice.
Yes, the lifestyle of 135 is a bit different than airline jobs, but I enjoy the time off, including most weekends. I also enjoy not having to eat most of my meals in a airport fast food restaurant while random people stare at you in uniform....
Yes, many folks on these forums want that lifestyle, but IMO CARGO can provide a very good quality of life that many people just don't consider.
Good luck with you choice...I always thought I would fly passangers but then stumbled into 135 cargo and 91k and can say I am happy.
What are you even talking about?
Every 135 freight company goes point A-B every day, over and over again, how would you possible not have a “canned” route?!
Old 02-19-2018, 11:53 AM
Banned

Joined APC: Jan 2013

Originally Posted by WesternSkies View Post
What are you even talking about?
Every 135 freight company goes point A-B every day, over and over again, how would you possible not have a “canned” route?!
There were canned routes when I was there, maybe that went away. Not sure what he is really talking about. The most alone you can be in this industry is flying single pilot 135 freight.
Old 02-19-2018, 03:53 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2017

Originally Posted by Jetlife View Post
There were canned routes when I was there, maybe that went away. Not sure what he is really talking about. The most alone you can be in this industry is flying single pilot 135 freight.
If you have ever flown unscheduled 135 aka charter where you have to file your own stuff, often in small company's without 24/7 dispatch, you would know Hate too feed a troll, cause you always seem to jump in as the know it all, pretending to know it all with only a superficial understanding of many things...
Not everything in every company is the same, and there are many different ways things are done totally LEGALLY from place to place.
Old 02-19-2018, 04:02 PM
Banned

Joined APC: Jan 2013

Originally Posted by ZippyNH View Post
If you have ever flown unscheduled 135 aka charter where you have to file your own stuff, often in small company's without 24/7 dispatch, you would know Hate too feed a troll, cause you always seem to jump in as the know it all, pretending to know it all with only a superficial understanding of many things...
Not everything in every company is the same, and there are many different ways things are done totally LEGALLY from place to place.
I do know.

Settle down junior I probably have more 135 time than you have total time judging from the overly general comments you leave in this thread.
Old 02-19-2018, 06:39 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2016
Position: Cessna 172 CFI

Thanks all!

Any chance Ameriflight will be at the NW Aviation Conference in Puyallup, WA next week?
Good question. They have been there previous years but I am not seeing them on the schedule for this years event.