Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Ameriflight

Old 09-09-2018, 04:36 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2016
Position: Cessna 172 CFI

Originally Posted by Biggbird View Post
With 1800TT and a cfii you shouldnt be to far off. If you prepare with all the materials that are sent to you before training you should do fine. My earlier point was that this isnt some easy time builder job. It takes some work to get checked out here.

The Jan-March classes still have 12 pilots on the seniority list between all 3 of them. April-June have produced 29 total. Sometimes theres just a bad bunch. Since you have the time to get a jet job and go 121 make sure this is someplace you really want to be. If it is, apply and come fly. If you have other career goals there are better ways to get there in my opinion. The regionals will get you an ATP which AMF will not do at least until you’ve been here for a few years.
I was at SkyWest last fall but having only learned part 61 and my experience is as a steam gauge CFI instructing primary students in Cessna 172’s I had a much harder time in training then I had expected.

I was making too slow progress and resigned while in the sims last November.

I have been advised by many that I should go to a part 135 operation like Ameriflight to gain the skills to be successful in any future regional training. I am a late in life career changer so I am running out of time to fly part 121.

It could be that my professional pilot career may begin and continue with Ameriflight.
Old 09-10-2018, 04:58 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2016
Position: Cessna 172 CFI

I applied with GoJet and just got word I am hired

Thanks all I’m going to give it my best effort at least I know more about what to expect going in
Old 09-11-2018, 05:04 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jul 2018

Originally Posted by Flyinlynn View Post
I applied with GoJet and just got word I am hired

Thanks all I’m going to give it my best effort at least I know more about what to expect going in
Good luck!
Old 09-13-2018, 07:39 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2017
Position: single-pilot multi turbine captain
Default Single-pilot except for...?

Hey all - it's been my understanding that AMF flies single-pilot, other than in the E-120. However, I keep seeing references to 1900 FOs, Korean FOs, etc.

Of course things are always changing, but any insight on this - i.e. what bases/aircraft get FOs assigned?
Old 09-13-2018, 08:05 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2017

Originally Posted by Continuingappch View Post
Hey all - it's been my understanding that AMF flies single-pilot, other than in the E-120. However, I keep seeing references to 1900 FOs, Korean FOs, etc.

Of course things are always changing, but any insight on this - i.e. what bases/aircraft get FOs assigned?
The FO's typically are assigned to the bases that fly the longest flights so the copilots can build time, and to help reduce workload and fatigue. Let's face it, flying almost 8 hrs in a duty day single pilot is a lot to ask....and the goal is safety. Some are AMF hires that are a bit short on time or experience to be captain, others are involved in other programs.
That having been said, you must always be ready to fly single pilot.
Old 09-13-2018, 08:26 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2017
Position: single-pilot multi turbine captain

Thanks - I was under the impression that most lines weren't nearly that much flying.
Old 09-14-2018, 06:07 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2017

Thanks - I was under the impression that most lines weren't nearly that much flying.
Depends on the customer...
Some fly barely 2 hrs a day, some do 100+ hrs a month.....some routes don't leave a state, some go up or down an entire coast, or half way across the x-country...
There are routes for time builders looking to fly like crazy, and there are routes for people just looking to make money, work a bit, and have lots of free time.
All comes down to the routes/bases.
Old 09-14-2018, 11:34 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2011
Position: Any

What ZippyNH said.

The reference to Korean FOs is about a program we have in conjunction with KAL where South Korean folks who what to become airline pilots come to the US, gain their ratings at a flight school in Florida and then come fly with us until they reach 1000 hours TT. If they successfully complete the program, they are guaranteed an interview with the "regional" component of KAL.

The other FOs are a response to the pilot shortage. Pilots who reach our minimums (see past posts for the numbers) are hired on to fly right seat in our aircraft. Our Ops Specs allow them to log time in our aircraft that are rated for single pilot ops. Once they have gained sufficient experience, they are trained into the left seat of our BE99 aircraft as either VFR captains, Restricted IFR captains or Unrestricted IFR captains.
Old 09-14-2018, 07:07 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2018
Position: *click click, click click* Time to do pilot sh*t.

Is it possible to hold a FO slot on the 1900 at DFW? I'm not one for moving out west or PR for the EMB-120.
Old 09-14-2018, 09:09 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2011
Position: Any

Originally Posted by FlyingDawgg View Post
Is it possible to hold a FO slot on the 1900 at DFW? I'm not one for moving out west or PR for the EMB-120.
FOs don't actually "hold" slots. They are moved as needed to optimize their flight time to reach captain minimums. Now, if you already live in Dallas (or one of our other locations) they you may have some priority to operate out of there because it would lessen Ameriflight's cost. As a non-E120 FO, we cover your lodging and per diem at the locations we decide to place you.