Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Ameriflight

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2020, 08:12 AM
Ameriflight

Joined APC: Sep 2014

Originally Posted by Mellokeith View Post
The above is a reply to a question I had last summer about commuting as a 500 hour FO. It looks like I would have to spend a lot of time away from my wife and family to get to a Captain position. How often would I be able to go home if not on the weekends? We just purchased a beautiful new home two years ago and have no desire to move.

Next; Once I make Captain and start flying a BE99, how would that change my ability to live at home?

We are considering taking out a loan to cover costs and get me back up to speed with my IFR (IFR proficiency check 1994) at a much faster pace, but want to know that there will be some decent quality of life with my family in the foreseeable future.
Hoping to help on this one.
Our schedule doesn't leave room for commuting. Our pilots must live within 1.5 hours from the base they agree upon in their offer letter.
Of course, you can skirt around that by renting a place close to the base and then trying to fly home as often as possible, but it won't give you a great QOL that way.

The majority of our pilots either already lived near a base or relocated. So with our schedule (Mon-Fri, morning to evening, regional flights), they are getting nights and weekends at home. That's the goal!
Without relocating, for you to get home it would be flying home on the weekends or putting in for vacation.
As a Captain, the schedules are the same and the situation would be similar.

This does not sound like an ideal situation for you.
Old 03-10-2020, 10:02 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2017

I do live in Grove. We moved here two years ago. My California/Colorado wife, who said she'd never live in Oklahoma, loves it here. I grew up in Tulsa and am glad to be back in OK.

񹙋񹙋񹙋​
when I was flying a USPS run, would go to the Grove airport (from Joplin) for MX....flew over that lake many times.
Ask around... remember CFI trucking had a flight department and remember them looking for locals in Springfield and Joplin. Ask around....you might be surprised.
If you happen to live in an location where a freight pilot is NEEDED, or are willing to relocate, flying cargo can be pretty good, with lots of time at home. If you try to commute....there might be better options unless you are young and willing to mover every few months. Good luck!
Freight is definitely an option, but it might be more about finding the right route, since most companies try to find a local or a person who is willing to move due to QOL and fatigue issue....have done runs 5 hrs away from home, driving home for the weekend Saturday afternoon, leaving Monday am...it's doable, but honestly, it wears you out after a few months.
Old 03-14-2020, 11:32 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Feb 2019

Originally Posted by FreightDogs View Post
Hoping to help on this one.
Our schedule doesn't leave room for commuting. Our pilots must live within 1.5 hours from the base they agree upon in their offer letter.
Of course, you can skirt around that by renting a place close to the base and then trying to fly home as often as possible, but it won't give you a great QOL that way.

The majority of our pilots either already lived near a base or relocated. So with our schedule (Mon-Fri, morning to evening, regional flights), they are getting nights and weekends at home. That's the goal!
Without relocating, for you to get home it would be flying home on the weekends or putting in for vacation.
As a Captain, the schedules are the same and the situation would be similar.

This does not sound like an ideal situation for you.
This is really disappointing... I've been thinking about joining Ameriflight for over a year now after seeing a recruitment video on YouTube. The recruiter said you could work for Ameriflight if you lived within an hour of an airport w/ at least 2 airlines and that once you were a captain you were typically on 18 and off 12 (with some variation) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXE4pPLg1Do ; but you're saying that captains do Monday - Friday (or Sat) like the FOs?

I figured we could live with me being away a lot for that first year or so while building up to captain, but figured as captain I could commute with an 18-12 kind of schedule . Did it change or did I misunderstand someone?
Old 03-14-2020, 11:37 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Feb 2019

Originally Posted by ZippyNH View Post
when I was flying a USPS run, would go to the Grove airport (from Joplin) for MX....flew over that lake many times.
Ask around... remember CFI trucking had a flight department and remember them looking for locals in Springfield and Joplin. Ask around....you might be surprised.
If you happen to live in an location where a freight pilot is NEEDED, or are willing to relocate, flying cargo can be pretty good, with lots of time at home. If you try to commute....there might be better options unless you are young and willing to mover every few months. Good luck!
Freight is definitely an option, but it might be more about finding the right route, since most companies try to find a local or a person who is willing to move due to QOL and fatigue issue....have done runs 5 hrs away from home, driving home for the weekend Saturday afternoon, leaving Monday am...it's doable, but honestly, it wears you out after a few months.
Thanks Zippy. I'll start checking it out. My problem is needing to be Part 135 as I only have a little over 500 hrs. and it's hard to build hours around here without my own plane... nobody rents out planes around here unless I go up to Joplin (which is what I am currently doing).

I thought AMF was the way to go.
Old 03-14-2020, 02:59 PM
Mmmm wine

Joined APC: Feb 2020
Position: A220 FO

Thanks Zippy. I'll start checking it out. My problem is needing to be Part 135 as I only have a little over 500 hrs. and it's hard to build hours around here without my own plane... nobody rents out planes around here unless I go up to Joplin (which is what I am currently doing).

I thought AMF was the way to go.
Go fly survey.
Old 03-14-2020, 06:53 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2011
Position: Any

This is really disappointing... I've been thinking about joining Ameriflight for over a year now after seeing a recruitment video on YouTube. The recruiter said you could work for Ameriflight if you lived within an hour of an airport w/ at least 2 airlines and that once you were a captain you were typically on 18 and off 12 (with some variation) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXE4pPLg1Do ; but you're saying that captains do Monday - Friday (or Sat) like the FOs?

I figured we could live with me being away a lot for that first year or so while building up to captain, but figured as captain I could commute with an 18-12 kind of schedule . Did it change or did I misunderstand someone?
I'm afraid that video is from a few years ago when we were hiring "Home Based Captains." It turned out it just wasn't economically feasible for the type of flying we do.
Old 03-15-2020, 07:03 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2020

I live in a small town in NE Oklahoma. An hour from Rogers/Bentonville/Fayetteville, AR; Joplin, MO; and about 1.5 from Tulsa, OK... about 3 hours from Kansas City and 5 hours from Dallas and St. Louis. We just bought a beautiful lake home not far from my parents (in their late 70s) and do not want to move. I have a local friend who commutes to Dallas to fly for American and another that flies for Omni Air. I understand being away from home for a week or so at a time is normal...
Flying for a major airline (or even a regional) is way different than AMF. Commuting for AMF really isn’t sustainable.
Old 03-21-2020, 11:48 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2017

Is Ameriflight still hiring? Any homebased positions?
Old 03-21-2020, 12:28 PM
Ameriflight

Joined APC: Sep 2014

Originally Posted by Rcordeiro122592 View Post
Is Ameriflight still hiring? Any homebased positions?
Yes, still hiring. Next class is April 13th. Then May 11th after that.
Unfortunately, we don't hire homebased anymore. Must live within 1.5 hours (driving distance) of a base.
Old 03-21-2020, 04:01 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2019

Freight dogs. I have a friend interested in BE-99 captain positions in Omaha. It seems all positions are filled there currently, but would there be a way for him to get on a “list” for future openings?

Thanks