Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Ameriflight

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2020, 08:10 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Feb 2019
Default Commuting

Originally Posted by frmrbuffdrvr View Post
AMF doesn't prohibit "commuting" via jumpseat, but it is discouraged. At the flight time level you describe, you would be assigned to an E120 base. Our E120 runs operate Monday PM to Saturday AM or Monday AM to Friday PM. Neither of these allows much time to jump seat home. And if you don't make it back for your duty assignment, you would be subject to disciplinary action. Unlike some passenger airlines, we don't have a policy where if you have a given number of backup options available and all of them get cancelled then you would be excused.

Sorry if that puts a damper on your plans.

The above is a reply to a question I had last summer about commuting as a 500 hour FO. It looks like I would have to spend a lot of time away from my wife and family to get to a Captain position. How often would I be able to go home if not on the weekends? We just purchased a beautiful new home two years ago and have no desire to move.

Next; Once I make Captain and start flying a BE99, how would that change my ability to live at home?

We are considering taking out a loan to cover costs and get me back up to speed with my IFR (IFR proficiency check 1994) at a much faster pace, but want to know that there will be some decent quality of life with my family in the foreseeable future.

Last edited by Mellokeith; 03-06-2020 at 08:25 AM. Reason: less wordy
Old 03-06-2020, 09:28 AM
Mmmm wine

Joined APC: Feb 2020
Position: A220 FO

Originally Posted by Mellokeith View Post
The above is a reply to a question I had last summer about commuting as a 500 hour FO. It looks like I would have to spend a lot of time away from my wife and family to get to a Captain position. How often would I be able to go home if not on the weekends? We just purchased a beautiful new home two years ago and have no desire to move.

Next; Once I make Captain and start flying a BE99, how would that change my ability to live at home?

We are considering taking out a loan to cover costs and get me back up to speed with my IFR (IFR proficiency check 1994) at a much faster pace, but want to know that there will be some decent quality of life with my family in the foreseeable future.
Do not do that... Don't commute for a job like AMF. Either move or find a job local you can get hours with.
Old 03-06-2020, 10:19 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2017

You don’t really want to come to Ameriflight for a decent QoL. You come here to build hours and experience and move on. Commuting will only eat into whatever little bit of time off you have. Where would you be commuting from/to?
Old 03-06-2020, 02:54 PM
On Reserve

Originally Posted by FlightLife View Post
You don’t really want to come to Ameriflight for a decent QoL. You come here to build hours and experience and move on. Commuting will only eat into whatever little bit of time off you have. Where would you be commuting from/to?
I live in a small town in NE Oklahoma. An hour from Rogers/Bentonville/Fayetteville, AR; Joplin, MO; and about 1.5 from Tulsa, OK... about 3 hours from Kansas City and 5 hours from Dallas and St. Louis. We just bought a beautiful lake home not far from my parents (in their late 70s) and do not want to move. I have a local friend who commutes to Dallas to fly for American and another that flies for Omni Air. I understand being away from home for a week or so at a time is normal...
Old 03-06-2020, 04:49 PM
Mmmm wine

Joined APC: Feb 2020
Position: A220 FO

I live in a small town in NE Oklahoma. An hour from Rogers/Bentonville/Fayetteville, AR; Joplin, MO; and about 1.5 from Tulsa, OK... about 3 hours from Kansas City and 5 hours from Dallas and St. Louis. We just bought a beautiful lake home not far from my parents (in their late 70s) and do not want to move. I have a local friend who commutes to Dallas to fly for American and another that flies for Omni Air. I understand being away from home for a week or so at a time is normal...
Find a commutable 7/7 or 8/6 job. Air ambo, right seat jet, King Air, PC-12 job. There are jet jobs in Rogers, Bentonville and Fayetteville. I promise you, you won't be able to afford the time and money to commute to a job like AMF that has very little to no QOL as it is.
Old 03-06-2020, 06:57 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by MinRest View Post
Find a commutable 7/7 or 8/6 job. Air ambo, right seat jet, King Air, PC-12 job. There are jet jobs in Rogers, Bentonville and Fayetteville. I promise you, you won't be able to afford the time and money to commute to a job like AMF that has very little to no QOL as it is.
Generally good advice...
Most AMF routes are NOT really commutable...
We are often the first flights out in the am...6am ish...
​​​​amd often some if the latest in the PM...9pm ish...
simply put, unless you only want one day home a week, you need to live at a base....
Old 03-06-2020, 07:05 PM
Gets Weekends Off

sounds like you are out near Grove OK?......flew mail out of Joplin years ago.
Typical schedule in feeder cargo is NOT like the airlines...
It's often am to Fri pm or some varration on that....
often you work and couple hours in the am...a couple in the pm...and have all day, and all night off...
Leaving you at your base, either during the day or the night depending on the route....so a commuter would also need a place to stay in many cases, since housing at your base is your responsibility.
​​​​
Old 03-07-2020, 08:20 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2007
Position: single pilot cargo, turboprop

Originally Posted by ZippyNH View Post
ANYBODY who had ever been working in aviation during a "black swan event" will tell you, it's far better to be in the middle of the seniority list than a newbie or in class as hiring grinds to a halt...
Sept 11 was just one of many, and while many don't expect hiring to total stop (thanks to retirement) things aren't looking as rosy going forward for 6-12 months....
​​​​​​
Coronavirus is definitely having short term effects on airlines, the long term potential is definitely there. I wouldn't want to be at the bottom of an airline seniority list either.
Old 03-09-2020, 06:50 AM
On Reserve

Originally Posted by ZippyNH View Post
sounds like you are out near Grove OK?......flew mail out of Joplin years ago.
Typical schedule in feeder cargo is NOT like the airlines...
It's often am to Fri pm or some varration on that....
often you work and couple hours in the am...a couple in the pm...and have all day, and all night off...
Leaving you at your base, either during the day or the night depending on the route....so a commuter would also need a place to stay in many cases, since housing at your base is your responsibility.
​​​​
I do live in Grove. We moved here two years ago. My California/Colorado wife, who said she'd never live in Oklahoma, loves it here. I grew up in Tulsa and am glad to be back in OK.

񹙋񹙋񹙋​
Old 03-10-2020, 07:49 AM
On Reserve

Has Ameriflight stopped responding to these posts?