Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Ameriflight

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2020, 12:51 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

Business sense yes.
something that so many pilots seem to think they are so good at that they constantly complain about how poorly their airlines are being run!
But let’s see them run any type of business that invests significant resources in training a particular skill set that is valued in a market and then see that INVESTMENT immediately leave your company for other opportunities.

employment contracts are everywhere. One of the biggest is call the UNITED STATES MILITARY! :-)

If they are transparent then there is nothing wrong with them at all.
the prospective employee knows about it and knows what he has to do to get out of it by staying or paying a agreed upon (hopefully pro-rated portion) should he decide that another opportunity is worth it.
Old 04-30-2020, 04:48 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2011

Then perhaps you should make such that people want to stick around for job, instead of punishing them for leaving? None of the big boys have this type of contract. If a pilot wants to leave AA for UAL, then they leave, no strings attached.

Pilots choose to leave different jobs for other jobs due to various reasons, they are tired of commuting, a different type of flying, cargo vs pax, different planes, the list goes on and on. So maybe that should be looked at from an employers perspective on why pilots are leaving after, what you consider, a short period of time. Ask some of them what their reasons are before getting to this step in the process. You might find out something about your operation that can be improved, making it a more desirable place to work.

Food for thought.

Also, don't know how this can be enforced either.
Old 04-30-2020, 05:03 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by justfun View Post
Then perhaps you should make such that people want to stick around for job, instead of punishing them for leaving? None of the big boys have this type of contract. If a pilot wants to leave AA for UAL, then they leave, no strings attached.

Pilots choose to leave different jobs for other jobs due to various reasons, they are tired of commuting, a different type of flying, cargo vs pax, different planes, the list goes on and on. So maybe that should be looked at from an employers perspective on why pilots are leaving after, what you consider, a short period of time. Ask some of them what their reasons are before getting to this step in the process. You might find out something about your operation that can be improved, making it a more desirable place to work.

Food for thought.

Also, don't know how this can be enforced either.
Now for an industry that does have a top end - imagine that.....they don't have a training contact?

Not every job is a stopping point.
Some are stepping stones.

That depends on the pilot and their situation - but EVERY PILOT takes time, effort and money to train.

If you don't understand this - then you have never been in a position to have to make these decisions and are making judgments about something that you have no experience in dealing with and are talking solely from a person who doesn't want to be tied to a job and doesn't mind screwing over you employer even though you applied and agreed to the training contract if one was in place - so your judgment and honor are already in question in my mind.

If I was on a hiring board and got to rate you and I found out that you skipped out on ANY contract - it would be a hit against you on my scoresheet.
Old 04-30-2020, 05:46 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2011

You are correct you don't know me or my military record, or my professional flying record.

I merely stated that maybe they should look inward before doing something like this.

There is no loyalty to employees within the airline industry and the sooner you realize that the better off you will be.
Old 04-30-2020, 06:04 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by justfun View Post
You are correct you don't know me or my military record, or my professional flying record.

I merely stated that maybe they should look inward before doing something like this.

There is no loyalty to employees within the airline industry and the sooner you realize that the better off you will be.
Doesn’t seem to be any loyalty either way.
Old 04-30-2020, 07:48 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2019

FreightDogs What was the average longevity back at the turn of the New Year?
18 months was 2 or 3 times the averages longevity from many many years ago.

Opportunity knocks
Old 05-01-2020, 10:15 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2007
Position: single pilot cargo, turboprop

It's not just about opportunity, what if your reason for leaving is defensive?
Old 05-04-2020, 09:01 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2020
Position: Killin' Natsees

Can someone at Ameriflight explain a “typical” day? I understand that usually means being out early, making your stops, eventually ending up at an outstation for quite a while until returning in the evening, Sounds nice if you are sleeping in your own bed at home most nights.

What are you doing all that time at the outstation? Are you at a hotel, are you sitting around at the airport?

If it’s a hotel, what kind of places do they put you up in? Close to amenities, food, time to work out?

Curious how most pilots spend their time at work during the day when not flying.

Thanks.
Old 05-05-2020, 02:17 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Apr 2020
Post BE-99

Any idea on when they will need more BE-99 captains? Also I was wondering how likely it is to get PR as a first base.
Old 05-06-2020, 06:17 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2011
Position: Any

Originally Posted by RedBull View Post
Any idea on when they will need more BE-99 captains? Also I was wondering how likely it is to get PR as a first base.
It will probably be a couple of months. Between last month and this we have hired so many folks that we are backed up in training. FreightDogs could give you a better idea, but I would guess at least July. But I could be wrong.