Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Ameriflight

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2020, 06:26 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2011
Position: Any

Originally Posted by BrazilBusDriver View Post
Hey all, hopefully shifting gears away from the current drama on the thread - I'm a Waterski refugee and Ameriflight has been my only bite on the ol' resume. I'm excited to be getting into cargo considering the pandemic-induced hiring environment on the pax side and I'm looking forward to learning a new aircraft and getting some 135 TPIC solo time under my belt. Just a little curious about what I'm getting into - any pointers for training and IOE?

I'll be (sigh) commuting for the first 5-6 months but I'm either going to bid back towards home at that point if vacancies exist, or the family is moving out there. It would be hard to sell a house right now with the whole damned state locked down, and at any rate we haven't been in the house two years yet. I know that's gonna be tough but it's looking like this or unemployment so I guess I'll suck it up for as long as I need to. Any pointers in that regard? Do bases tend to open and close often (ie rent, don't buy if we have to move) or have things been pretty stable at Ameriflight lately?
Do you have a class date or just now applying?
Old 04-01-2020, 11:48 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2019

Hey all just a quick question! Is it possible to commute for work or do you have to live in base? Getting closer to 1200 and hoping to get hired before positions are all filled an no pilot jobs are to be found!
Old 04-02-2020, 04:52 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2017

Originally Posted by Bearhawk23 View Post
Hey all just a quick question! Is it possible to commute for work or do you have to live in base? Getting closer to 1200 and hoping to get hired before positions are all filled an no pilot jobs are to be found!
Look back a few pages on this thread. In a nutshell, not really commutable.
Old 04-02-2020, 05:50 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2018

Edit: sorry, re-read the thread and realized you were talking to someone else.

I'm aware. It's this or unemployment. The plan is to find something within Ameriflight closer to the current home after I've been there 6 months or move when we've owned the house for two years (both happen at about the same time), whether that involves selling the current house or renting it out. This would be short term pain to keep paid employment...I don't seem to have any other options at the moment besides getting out of aviation again, and I don't intend to do that if I can help it.

Last edited by BrazilBusDriver; 04-02-2020 at 06:07 AM.
Old 04-02-2020, 05:50 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by frmrbuffdrvr View Post
Do you have a class date or just now applying?
May 11th.

10 characters
Old 04-02-2020, 06:05 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by ZippyNH View Post
Welcome!! Just a line pilot here, not a trainer or management Pilot. Have about 2 years at AMF, but closer to 9k hours, about half of it in cargo.
Training is the typical "drinking from a fire hose" and a bit old school. Honestly when you are alone, you must perform...sometimes some people can be shocked that it's not "spoon fed" at times, but hard work and a reasonable attitude it goes a long way.
Ameriflight's version of 135 is a bit closer to 121 than most...we get a full release from dispatch, get flight plans filed, etc...we still must do performance, W/B, limits, etc...so the transition shouldn't be too terrible.
Under 135 we are often much less well supported on the road...yes we have a phone and lots of people to talk too, but must be able to think on out feet, talk to FBO's about gpu's, even plan for hangers if snow is expected in some locations.... We exercise judgement regularly and unlike some jobs can't operate through a simple yes/no flowchart.
It's much more than just moving metal, it's truely paying attention to EVERYTHING going on to get the job done.
For Training, an active pilot should most pay attention to old school stick and rudder hand flying skills on a 6 pack.... equipment varies from plane to plane even with a given model, some lack even a GPS, so be ready to tune VOR's, use dme's and RMI's, with generous amounts of hand flying.
Personalities tend to make cargo pretty rewarding IMHO, the job and lifestyle fits some personalities better than others.....some people enjoy it and have a blast....for some the grass will always be greener on the other side of the fence.
​​​​​As for stability, it's as stable as the customers let it be, lol.
some bases have been closed, one moved, and another just opened so it's largely luck of the draw as to the long term prospects at any base. As the largest 135 cargo operator there are certain advantage's compared to many if the one/two base or regional operators...the extra stability is nice, but so is the jumpseat privileges that are somewhat rare under 135, along with the possibility of going from a turboprop to a 767/md-11/a-300 for those who desire it...who knows if those programs survive, but personally know people that have both gone to 767's for GOOD/GREAT companies in the last year.
Know this response isn't direct point on point, but hopefully it will shed some light on things. No place is perfect, but some people tend to work better with others and find a way to get the job done and others always look at things and somehow feel they are getting the shaft.
Many issues that people have have been due to the fact the AMF has been seriously understaffed for a couple years, and some pilots are angry that the smallest plane in the fleet, the be-99 was left out of the most recent bounus plan.... EVERY company had BS, it's just a different flavor and color!!
Good luck, hopefully you get the call and I will run into you on the road!
And you know the old saying?
You truely aren't Pilot till you have been through at least one bankruptcy, shutdown or furlough!! Many of us have been through it too.
Thanks this was really informative. Trans States was the drink from a firehose/build the airplane model of training the first time around, so I guess I'll be reading a lot of manuals in the evenings. Not too worried about 6-packs, that's what I learned on.

Interesting to hear about all the coordination on the 135 side of things - thanks for the heads up.

Seems like the staffing situation at AMF will be resolving itself, at least in the short term...and I've now got a furlough in '09 and a shutdown in '20 on my resume, so with any luck I'll go the rest of my career without any more "character building moments".
Old 04-02-2020, 07:38 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2017

Hey all,

I’m considering a move to DFW, is every plane based in DFW? Would it be possible to have a schedule that allows me to be home every night? Do you get most weekends and holidays off?? I have an ATP 2400tt 1700multi 1600pic part 135 single pilot IFR experience. No turbine time though, would it be likely if I start in the 1900 or metro?
Old 04-02-2020, 09:05 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by Rcordeiro122592 View Post
Hey all,

I’m considering a move to DFW, is every plane based in DFW? Would it be possible to have a schedule that allows me to be home every night? Do you get most weekends and holidays off?? I have an ATP 2400tt 1700multi 1600pic part 135 single pilot IFR experience. No turbine time though, would it be likely if I start in the 1900 or metro?
We have BE99, BE1900 and SA227 based in DFW. Most DFW 99 and 1900 runs are home at night, though there is always the possibility you could get stuck out for maintenance or if you are needed to cover another base's run for a while. Several of our runs operate on Saturday mornings, so you can't always have the full weekend off. Holidays are dependent on the customer. Example; you will probably not fly on Thanksgiving but you can plan on flying on "Black Friday." Same thing with Christmas. Christmas Day will likely be off but you WILL be flying on Christmas eve and on the 26th.

The DFW metros currently are not assigned to scheduled run, so they tend to be out from the base for a couple days at a time.

As far as going straight to the 1900 or metro without turbine time, you would need to talk with recruiting about that.
Old 04-02-2020, 12:11 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2017

Originally Posted by frmrbuffdrvr View Post
We have BE99, BE1900 and SA227 based in DFW. Most DFW 99 and 1900 runs are home at night, though there is always the possibility you could get stuck out for maintenance or if you are needed to cover another base's run for a while. Several of our runs operate on Saturday mornings, so you can't always have the full weekend off. Holidays are dependent on the customer. Example; you will probably not fly on Thanksgiving but you can plan on flying on "Black Friday." Same thing with Christmas. Christmas Day will likely be off but you WILL be flying on Christmas eve and on the 26th.

The DFW metros currently are not assigned to scheduled run, so they tend to be out from the base for a couple days at a time.

As far as going straight to the 1900 or metro without turbine time, you would need to talk with recruiting about that.

thanks for the great info!

do the airplanes have an autopilot? And is there a pay bump if you’re duel qualified?
Old 04-03-2020, 06:07 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by Rcordeiro122592 View Post
thanks for the great info!

do the airplanes have an autopilot? And is there a pay bump if you’re duel qualified?
Most of the airplanes have autopilots. Though there might be a few BE99s that don't.

If you are dual qualified, you are paid at the higher rate regardless of which airplane you are flying.