Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Ameriflight

Old 08-06-2018, 05:15 PM
  #4651  
In a land of unicorns
 
Joined APC: Apr 2014
Position: Whale FO
Posts: 6,501
Default

Originally Posted by frmrbuffdrvr View Post
They are interviewing. However, they are spending time this year with a UPS mentor and doing things that UPS asks of them. So it's not like a walk in off the street, even with an internal rec. From what UPS has told us, if they get to that point it is pretty much theirs to lose.
So far these preferred interview programs have had less than stellar success, even with internal recs, "mentoring" and so on.
We'll just wait until next year to see the results. Somehow I think these pilots will be very much disliked at UPS if they really get hired. An average new hire at UPS seems to have a lot of heavy international time. Something that's much more relevant to their operation than Amflight cargo hopping.
dera is offline  
Old 08-06-2018, 06:27 PM
  #4652  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Mar 2017
Posts: 176
Default

Originally Posted by dera View Post
So far these preferred interview programs have had less than stellar success, even with internal recs, "mentoring" and so on.
We'll just wait until next year to see the results. Somehow I think these pilots will be very much disliked at UPS if they really get hired. An average new hire at UPS seems to have a lot of heavy international time. Something that's much more relevant to their operation than Amflight cargo hopping.
UPS has ALWAYS hired a few feeder pilots...going back to the late 98's to early 03 or so when I was flying for a different (much smaller, but now gone) feeder operator, and they usually had 1-2 SA-227 pilots per year go directly to UPS from that company, no program (I was a floater, and would cover for their interviews, then when they left for class, I often knew more than management about WHY the sick days occurred)....there was always talk of a similar program like Ameriflight, and even negotiations, but it never happened.
And yes...the pilots moving up succeeded...I have seen them on the ramps.
If you say making others jealous is a reason for not moving up....think there other issues.
The current UPS program at Ameriflight has several stages to help fill in the perceived weakness of hiring a feeder pilot. It seems to be a VERY well thought out program where UPS invests lots of time into candidates....
ZippyNH is offline  
Old 08-06-2018, 06:36 PM
  #4653  
Banned
 
Joined APC: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,919
Default

Originally Posted by ZippyNH View Post
UPS has ALWAYS hired a few feeder pilots...going back to the late 98's to early 03 or so when I was flying for a different (much smaller, but now gone) feeder operator, and they usually had 1-2 SA-227 pilots per year go directly to UPS from that company, no program (I was a floater, and would cover for their interviews, then when they left for class, I often knew more than management about WHY the sick days occurred)....there was always talk of a similar program like Ameriflight, and even negotiations, but it never happened.
And yes...the pilots moving up succeeded...I have seen them on the ramps.
If you say making others jealous is a reason for not moving up....think there other issues.
The current UPS program at Ameriflight has several stages to help fill in the perceived weakness of hiring a feeder pilot. It seems to be a VERY well thought out program where UPS invests lots of time into candidates....
UPS isnít hiring feeder pilots in any measurable capacity right now, and hasnít for years. When they were, it was when turboprops were widely used in commuter ops.

The running saying is that AMF isnít there to teach you to fly instruments right? Well UPS isnt there to teach you to fly jets. It can find an endless supply of guys with international, heavy jet time. Itís nothing against AMF specifically, but why would UPS take lower time turboprop pilots when the average applicant is still so highly qualified? The answer is they wouldnít. Time will tell to see how many of those that choose the UPS gateway and stick it out, and actually get hired.
Jetlife is offline  
Old 08-06-2018, 06:50 PM
  #4654  
In a land of unicorns
 
Joined APC: Apr 2014
Position: Whale FO
Posts: 6,501
Default

Originally Posted by ZippyNH View Post
UPS has ALWAYS hired a few feeder pilots...going back to the late 98's to early 03 or so when I was flying for a different (much smaller, but now gone) feeder operator, and they usually had 1-2 SA-227 pilots per year go directly to UPS from that company, no program (I was a floater, and would cover for their interviews, then when they left for class, I often knew more than management about WHY the sick days occurred)....there was always talk of a similar program like Ameriflight, and even negotiations, but it never happened.
And yes...the pilots moving up succeeded...I have seen them on the ramps.
If you say making others jealous is a reason for not moving up....think there other issues.
The current UPS program at Ameriflight has several stages to help fill in the perceived weakness of hiring a feeder pilot. It seems to be a VERY well thought out program where UPS invests lots of time into candidates....
Ahh, the good old "this is what they did 20 years ago"-argument.
dera is offline  
Old 08-07-2018, 02:46 PM
  #4655  
On Reserve
 
Joined APC: Feb 2017
Posts: 19
Default

K so the realistic path for someone going to AMF would be: CFI/some other op until 500-800 hrs, then AMF, then a regional after being with AMF for a few years?
I'm confused as to why someone would go to AMF then instead of doing CFI/whatever until they get their ATP mins and then just going to a regional, whats the advantage?
Luewk is offline  
Old 08-07-2018, 03:03 PM
  #4656  
Banned
 
Joined APC: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,919
Default

Originally Posted by Luewk View Post
K so the realistic path for someone going to AMF would be: CFI/some other op until 500-800 hrs, then AMF, then a regional after being with AMF for a few years?
I'm confused as to why someone would go to AMF then instead of doing CFI/whatever until they get their ATP mins and then just going to a regional, whats the advantage?
Going to a regional after AMF is the most common path I would say. Honestly the sub 1000 hour demographic is the only real way AMF is getting anyone. That and the retired airline pilot to be a captain. A 1200 hour potential 135 captain would be better off instructing a bit more and going to a regional IMHO but AMF is there if you want it.
Jetlife is offline  
Old 08-07-2018, 04:39 PM
  #4657  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Fr8Thrust's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jul 2017
Posts: 469
Default

Originally Posted by Luewk View Post
K so the realistic path for someone going to AMF would be: CFI/some other op until 500-800 hrs, then AMF, then a regional after being with AMF for a few years?
I'm confused as to why someone would go to AMF then instead of doing CFI/whatever until they get their ATP mins and then just going to a regional, whats the advantage?
Because pilots that have flown commuters/TProps are better than those who have skipped this step. The skills obtained from this job, will carry you throughout your career. Think of it as life insurance or professional development.
Fr8Thrust is offline  
Old 08-07-2018, 04:40 PM
  #4658  
Banned
 
Joined APC: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,919
Default

Originally Posted by Fr8Thrust View Post
Because pilots that have flown commuters/TProps are better than those who have skipped this step.
Define better. They arenít better airline pilots...
Jetlife is offline  
Old 08-07-2018, 04:50 PM
  #4659  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Fr8Thrust's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jul 2017
Posts: 469
Default

Originally Posted by Jetlife View Post
Define better. They arenít better airline pilots...
They definitely are better airline pilots. They know how to manage, multi-task, they know IFR, theyíre a good stick, and they know what it takes to master an airplane and most importantly get the job done. Every AMF Pilot I know in the airlines is sharp, efficient, and has a better training & performance record than those who went straight from CFI.

Put two planes at the same gate, one with a former AMF pilot, and the other a CFI... which one gets off the gate sooner and lands sooner with happier passengers (no events). And which one takes a delay to comprehend an MEL, misses their wheels up time as taxi on one engine, and goes missed because they canít keep the airplane stable.
Fr8Thrust is offline  
Old 08-07-2018, 04:58 PM
  #4660  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Mar 2017
Posts: 177
Default

Originally Posted by Luewk View Post
K so the realistic path for someone going to AMF would be: CFI/some other op until 500-800 hrs, then AMF, then a regional after being with AMF for a few years?
I'm confused as to why someone would go to AMF then instead of doing CFI/whatever until they get their ATP mins and then just going to a regional, whats the advantage?
Nights at home. The 22 year old single guy/girl fresh out of Riddle might not care about being away from home for half of their working life, but other demographics do.
BobSacamano is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Mrsmith42e
Cargo
22
01-22-2021 08:14 AM
waflyboy
Cargo
3
05-10-2020 02:48 PM
chazbird
Part 135
10
07-01-2007 03:47 PM
beech_nut
Cargo
0
01-28-2006 11:55 AM
Freight Dog
Cargo
0
11-17-2005 09:27 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Your Privacy Choices