Search
Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Ameriflight

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 11:40 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Feb 2017

Why is it unrealistic for an AMF pilot to expect to go directly to a legacy? I figured the twin turbine PIC (especially in the brasilia or the 1900) + the current shortage would be enough for this to be reasonable.
Is the lack of 121 experience really that much of a killer?
Old 08-06-2018, 11:55 AM
Banned

Joined APC: Jan 2013

Originally Posted by MettetalAir View Post
What would be the chances of an ameriflight pilot getting into a legacy pax airline such as united, aa, or delta? I read that the chances would be very slim but just seeing what you guys think about it.

For those of you working at ameriflight, what are your future career goals and/or companies you hope to enter after ameriflight?
To a legacy carrier? Right now it's zero, flat out no chance. Give it a few years and maybe they will be desperate enough for warm bodies. You won't even see people go from AMF to SWA, AS or JB. I bet you can count on two hands the people that have gone to Spirit and Allegiant and Frontier.

Allegiant/Frontier are your best bets as they have some preferential interview programs. I think all the AMF programs will lock you in for 3 years before you can do anything so keep that in mind. I know people have gone to Allegiant, Frontier, Omni and Atlas from AMF but not in large numbers. Don't pick AMF as a means to look great on a resume, pick it because you want to fly sorta single pilot ops in older airplanes.

Wipe legacy carriers from the lexicon.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Fr8Thrust View Post
AMF advertisements claim they have flow-through agreements. This is incorrect.

A flow is a guaranteed path.

A gateway is a guaranteed interview.

Ameriflight does not have any flow-through programs. Until they offer AMF pilots, in seniority order, class dates at Omni, Allegiant, Frontier, or UPS, there is no flow; only a guaranteed interview. Having pathway programs is great, but calling it a “flow” is false advertising.
Been saying this for years. They are now flow though programs.
Old 08-06-2018, 12:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ZippyNH View Post
Perhaps..

The issue with a guaranteed "job" as with a flow is that many individuals that would never cut it in an 121 could never be hired to work 135....it might be due to history of some type, or just personality....but the interview process would have to match the partners.
The fact that the airlines with agreements have a process to be accepted to them for "flow" or interview with milestones you must meet makes the milestones effectively a long interview....

Yes, going straight to a legacy is not likely, but to a LCC is common, as is freight company to fly a 767....or simply go to UPS, ALSO on the list....think most would consider a job at UPS to be a success...
Different lifestyle, and different upgrade path.... sometimes you don't end up with the path or the end you though...many people like the lifestyle, then stay, or even fly corporate. Not all people's final goal is a "legacy" carrier....and depending on when you are hired in relation to growth and retirements, a legacy job MIGHT result in decades of stagnation....ask a United guy from the 90's...or the guys from defunct carrier's that did not get bought.... starting over....
Personally I LIKE getting my hotel points, and having a rental car/crew car more often than not, and having most weekends off....and alternating one week and two weeks off, a vacation, and avoiding the BS of many places.
Is it perfect, no. However, it is a choice that should be considered and might be a good option for many IMHO.
I ADVOCATE that anybody consider ALL options, and the meat grinder of the regionals are not everyone's "cup of tea", nor is the lifestyle with the typical commute.

He isn't arguing whether a flow is right for AMF or not, he is saying that the "flow" programs as AMF states, are indeed not flow programs, and he is 100% correct. There is no perhaps, or sorta, or maybe.

I agree with the issue of a flow and not possibly having the applicant match the culture of the new company, that happens at American all the time, but regardless what AMF sells as a flow, is not a flow, not even close.

You sound a bit like a recruiter, "just go to UPS!" Yea easier said than done, in fact way easier said than done. How many people have gone to UPS since the program was announced years ago?

Oh and btw I am not sure I know anyone that goes to legacy to merely "progress." The money is greater no matter what seat you're in, than almost any corporate job and especially long term, isn't even close.

I do agree with you though, not everyone wants to go to the airlines.
Old 08-06-2018, 02:01 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2011
Position: Any

Originally Posted by Jetlife View Post
You sound a bit like a recruiter, "just go to UPS!" Yea easier said than done, in fact way easier said than done. How many people have gone to UPS since the program was announced years ago?
The programs wasn't announce "years ago." It was announced the beginning of this year. And the first people into the mentoring phase, which is a year long, will finish that portion in January. So no one has gone to UPS via the program. Basically because the program hasn't existed long enough. But three people will go there in January. And a couple more three months after that. And so on.
Old 08-06-2018, 02:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by frmrbuffdrvr View Post
The programs wasn't announce "years ago." It was announced the beginning of this year. And the first people into the mentoring phase, which is a year long, will finish that portion in January. So no one has gone to UPS via the program. Basically because the program hasn't existed long enough. But three people will go there in January. And a couple more three months after that. And so on.
The first UPS program was announced June of last year. And they aren’t “going there,” they will get an interview.
Old 08-06-2018, 02:55 PM
In a land of unicorns

Joined APC: Apr 2014
Position: Whale FO

People are GOING there in January? Or people are INTERVIEWING there in January?
Huge difference.
Old 08-06-2018, 04:44 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by dera View Post
People are GOING there in January? Or people are INTERVIEWING there in January?
Huge difference.
They are interviewing. However, they are spending time this year with a UPS mentor and doing things that UPS asks of them. So it's not like a walk in off the street, even with an internal rec. From what UPS has told us, if they get to that point it is pretty much theirs to lose.
Old 08-06-2018, 04:47 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by Jetlife View Post
The first UPS program was announced June of last year. And they aren’t “going there,” they will get an interview.
The first UPS program had nothing to do with pilots hired direct to AMF. It was interns that were already UPS employees. And still ARE UPS employees, as far as I know. So those ones pretty much are guaranteed to go unless they screw something up while they are here.

The program for AMF pilots was announced officially last November.
Old 08-06-2018, 04:54 PM
Banned

They are interviewing. However, they are spending time this year with a UPS mentor and doing things that UPS asks of them. So it's not like a walk in off the street, even with an internal rec. From what UPS has told us, if they get to that point it is pretty much theirs to lose.
It’s a good incentive program for sure. And an excellent foot in the door for the interview. But every interview is the applicants to lose. If the 3,000 hour AMF pilot is getting compared against the 6,000 hour military pilot, hows that gonna go? So you waste 3 years at AMF only to be told you aren’t as qualified as the other applicants?

It’s a long process just for an interview.