Search
Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Ameriflight

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 04:44 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Feb 2018

If someone does not currently live at the base they were hired at, how long after training do they have to find housing and move all their belongings? Thank you.
Old 08-02-2018, 03:18 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2015
Position: B777 CA

All,

I’m United pilot trying to get info for a friend. He will be available around the first of the year as he’s taking advantage of a early retirement program in his current company in a non flying job.

He’s flight instructing and appears to meet all your FO requirements except he’s around 30 hours shy of cross country which he should have in the next few months.

I realize cargo isn’t airline flying, but can you please give me an example of a fairly tylical out and back and non out and back weekly schedule? What’s a typical night like and layover and night extended hub break.

He doesn’t live near any of your bases, would he qualify for the quick upgrade program being home based? Should he apply now or wait until close to the first of year?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-03-2018, 08:23 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2011
Position: Any

Originally Posted by Boeing Aviator View Post
All,

I’m United pilot trying to get info for a friend. He will be available around the first of the year as he’s taking advantage of a early retirement program in his current company in a non flying job.

He’s flight instructing and appears to meet all your FO requirements except he’s around 30 hours shy of cross country which he should have in the next few months.

I realize cargo isn’t airline flying, but can you please give me an example of a fairly tylical out and back and non out and back weekly schedule? What’s a typical night like and layover and night extended hub break.

He doesn’t live near any of your bases, would he qualify for the quick upgrade program being home based? Should he apply now or wait until close to the first of year?

Thanks in advance.
The first officers are not home based. But they also do not have a permanent base. Once they finish training they are sent to a base where they can build the hours that they need. During that time we take care of travel, hotel and per diem. Once he upgrades to captain then he could go to home based status if that is what he is hired for.

While he probably would not get a class assignment right away, I would suggest getting an application/resume in when he can and then just keep in touch with the recruiter for when we get closer to his time he can start. We usually start filling class slots about a month and a half prior to the class. Indoc classes start on the first Monday of the month.
Old 08-03-2018, 08:32 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Aug 2018
Default Is it a M to F schedule or 14/14/7/14?

Hi. Im a new member here. Nice to be here. I am looking at Epic flight school in Florida which has a flow program into Ameriflight. I have been wondering about Ameriflight's schedule. I have looked everywhere and seen two schedules:

A) M to F leaving in the morning, having a long layover, and coming back in the evening. About 3 to 4 hours of flying per day.

B) 14/14/7/14.

1. Which of these two schedules do new pilots get in the company?
2. I greatly prefer the latter of these two schedules. Any steps a pilot must take to obtain it?
3. In the former shedule, what do pilots do in their long layovers during the day?
4. In the latter schedule, I could safely assume the 14 days of flying would be spent sleeping at hotels here and there, right? There wouldn't be nights spent at home during the 14 nights of work, right? Does Ameriflight provide any money for meals? Do they put their pilots in decent hotels?
Old 08-03-2018, 01:52 PM
Ameriflight

Joined APC: Sep 2014

Originally Posted by mdiepenbroek View Post
If someone does not currently live at the base they were hired at, how long after training do they have to find housing and move all their belongings? Thank you.
Hi, there!

We don't necessarily have a standard across the company for this.
It is up to the base and your regional chief pilot. Keeping an open line of communication with them on your plans and needs will make the process pretty smooth!
Old 08-03-2018, 01:58 PM
Ameriflight

Joined APC: Sep 2014

Originally Posted by MettetalAir View Post
Hi. Im a new member here. Nice to be here. I am looking at Epic flight school in Florida which has a flow program into Ameriflight. I have been wondering about Ameriflight's schedule. I have looked everywhere and seen two schedules:

A) M to F leaving in the morning, having a long layover, and coming back in the evening. About 3 to 4 hours of flying per day.

B) 14/14/7/14.

1. Which of these two schedules do new pilots get in the company?
2. I greatly prefer the latter of these two schedules. Any steps a pilot must take to obtain it?
3. In the former shedule, what do pilots do in their long layovers during the day?
4. In the latter schedule, I could safely assume the 14 days of flying would be spent sleeping at hotels here and there, right? There wouldn't be nights spent at home during the 14 nights of work, right? Does Ameriflight provide any money for meals? Do they put their pilots in decent hotels?
Hi, there!

Hoping to clear this up a little for you!

We have both of those schedules. The first is for pilots who live near one of our bases (set base and schedule, home every night and on weekends). The second is for pilots who live more than an hour and a half from our base (assignments have you flying anywhere we need you in our system, 14/7/14/14).

1. New pilots can get either as it is decided by your location.
2. Nothing in particular, just location.
3. They do whatever they'd like - some go to college (online or in person), some play golf or hike or sleep or explore, etc.
4. Yes, sleeping at hotels where your assignment for that time is. There likely would not be any nights at home during your "on" time. Yes, we provide a $35/day per diem. Yes, the hotels are decent.

Hope that helps!
Old 08-03-2018, 03:28 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Aug 2018

Originally Posted by FreightDogs View Post
The second is for pilots who live more than an hour and a half from our base (assignments have you flying anywhere we need you in our system, 14/7/14/14).
Hope that helps!
Very helpful! Thanks. I am guessing the living hour and a half away is an hour and a half away by car, right?

How would commuting work in this schedule? For instance lets say I live in Dan Diego (over 90 minutes by car from Burbank or Ontario) and my assignment starts in Omaha (or maybe even San Juan). How would the pilot get to Omaha (or even San Juan)?
Old 08-03-2018, 06:50 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2011
Position: Any

Originally Posted by MettetalAir View Post
Very helpful! Thanks. I am guessing the living hour and a half away is an hour and a half away by car, right?

How would commuting work in this schedule? For instance lets say I live in Dan Diego (over 90 minutes by car from Burbank or Ontario) and my assignment starts in Omaha (or maybe even San Juan). How would the pilot get to Omaha (or even San Juan)?
You would receive an airline ticket to get there, most likely on the first day of your rotation, from the closest regional airport.
Old 08-04-2018, 10:26 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2015
Position: B777 CA

Originally Posted by frmrbuffdrvr View Post
The first officers are not home based. But they also do not have a permanent base. Once they finish training they are sent to a base where they can build the hours that they need. During that time we take care of travel, hotel and per diem. Once he upgrades to captain then he could go to home based status if that is what he is hired for.

While he probably would not get a class assignment right away, I would suggest getting an application/resume in when he can and then just keep in touch with the recruiter for when we get closer to his time he can start. We usually start filling class slots about a month and a half prior to the class. Indoc classes start on the first Monday of the month.
Thanks for your response. Can you please give an example of the typical day/night and weekly schedule. I know it varies, but how many legs a day/night, duty days, layovers and extended breaks during a single duty period? Also do Pilots have to load cargo?

Thank you!

Last edited by Boeing Aviator; 08-04-2018 at 11:01 AM.
Old 08-04-2018, 12:32 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2017

Originally Posted by Boeing Aviator View Post
Thanks for your response. Can you please give an example of the typical day/night and weekly schedule. I know it varies, but how many legs a day/night, duty days, layovers and extended breaks during a single duty period? Also do Pilots have to load cargo?

Thank you!
My thoughts...
It varries...and to the extremes.
There are routes for people want to build time...and routes for people looking for a easy, regular gig .. Largely it is customer driven...but schedules are pretty well set.
The brown box flights are out, with sometimes one stop, sit for 8-9 hours (in a hotel usually), then return, one or two stops (a stop is just 20 minutes, less if you can make it faster)then in a hotel overnight....do it all week. Depending on the coast, it might be early or later... So you typically are working or in a hotel/home...unless waiting for cargo from a late connection in the AM...then pilots stamd around and BS for an hour or so and talk...
Typically you don't actually "work" more than 4-6 hours a day if the jet bringing in your cargo is on time in the AM, but it is split into two half's... some can deal with that, some need to adjust.
I have flown as little as 1.3 RT day or more like 3+ RT
Other customers may require up to 8 hours with an optional 91 repo leg with 5+ legs....and a "round-robin" routing...
Some trips never leave a state...some x-country, or half x-country with the cargo getting relayed. Simply put, there are routes for time builders, and routes for a person looking for more if an easy regular schedule.
As to loading/unloading cargo...a huge shift has occurred in the past few months...MOST of the flights are "no touch", but that's not to say you will not need to possiblely shift cargo at a stop for CG reasons (if you plan well, it can often be avoided), or there might be a customer who requires you move the cargo to the door for the driver to unload....
Biggest thing at this level is to be flexible, get the job done and communicate...