Search
Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Ameriflight

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 05:03 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2009

There is IOE. My friend used to be a checkairman there.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:51 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2006
Position: 'Bus Driver Right Seat

Originally Posted by Stratapilot View Post
Question:

I (finally) meet the mins to apply, however, I am wondering about the training at Ameriflight. I understand they have a great simulator at Burbank, however, once you finish training and get to your base is it " Welcome to Portland! here's the manifest, now off you go", or is there something equating to IOE before they cut you loose on your own?
Almost all of our training is done on the line now, so there is a much smaller learning curve when you're finally cut loose to go fly NDB approaches on your own!
Old 01-21-2010, 09:00 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2007

Originally Posted by freightdog View Post
Almost all of our training is done on the line now, so there is a much smaller learning curve when you're finally cut loose to go fly NDB approaches on your own!
Ok Good. I feel better about applying now... It's been a LOOOOOONNG time since I've flown single pilot night IFR, and to be honest, I'm a little nervous about it. Glad to see they don't toss you off a cliff.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:00 PM
In the dumpster fire

Joined APC: Jan 2010

NDB approaches? what! you mean they havent all been decommissioned yet? haha
Old 01-22-2010, 09:32 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2008
Position: PIC

Ok Good. I feel better about applying now... It's been a LOOOOOONNG time since I've flown single pilot night IFR, and to be honest, I'm a little nervous about it. Glad to see they don't toss you off a cliff.
If that's the case I wouldn't apply until you are comfortable. Spend some time with your favorite CFII or you aren't likely to make it through training, or even the interview sim. They expect you to be a competent IFR pilot, and only have to teach you how to fly their airplane.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:41 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by polymox View Post
If that's the case I wouldn't apply until you are comfortable. Spend some time with your favorite CFII or you aren't likely to make it through training, or even the interview sim. They expect you to be a competent IFR pilot, and only have to teach you how to fly their airplane.

Let me rephrase that. It's been a LOOOOONG time since I've flown single pilot night ACTUAL IFR. I'm in Texas so bad weather days are hard to come by. I do approaches and holds all the time. It's not a proficiency issue, its more of a confidence issue. I'm sure once I start doing it on IOE, I'll get more comfortable.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:51 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2008

Let me rephrase that. It's been a LOOOOONG time since I've flown single pilot night ACTUAL IFR. I'm in Texas so bad weather days are hard to come by. I do approaches and holds all the time. It's not a proficiency issue, its more of a confidence issue. I'm sure once I start doing it on IOE, I'll get more comfortable.
Well you should always be on your A game and never be too comfortable shooting approaches more importantly, awareness is key.
In IOE you have someone sitting next to you. You'll gain confidence once you land after an approach down to mins and there was no one in the right seat. Will it be a bare knuckle experience? Sure it will, it was for us all at one point or another. Just keep the cool hand luke
Old 01-22-2010, 11:02 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by Luv2Rotate View Post
Well you should always be on your A game and never be too comfortable shooting approaches more importantly, awareness is key.
In IOE you have someone sitting next to you. You'll gain confidence once you land after an approach down to mins and there was no one in the right seat. Will it be a bare knuckle experience? Sure it will, it was for us all at one point or another. Just keep the cool hand luke

Keepin' the cool hand, boss
Old 01-22-2010, 11:44 AM
Part Time

Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: Chief Pilot PC-12NG

It wasn't until I started flying for Ameriflight out of PDX when I actually shot an ILS down to absolute bare minimums; 1800 RVR, VV 100 and at night. That was fun. My legs were pretty weak after that landing.

Once you're able to do it once your confidence skyrockets. You should never relax, but you aren't as worried and able to concentrate on the approach more.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:19 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2008

Originally Posted by undflyboy06 View Post
It wasn't until I started flying for Ameriflight out of PDX when I actually shot an ILS down to absolute bare minimums; 1800 RVR, VV 100 and at night. That was fun. My legs were pretty weak after that landing.

Once you're able to do it once your confidence skyrockets. You should never relax, but you aren't as worried and able to concentrate on the approach more.
I did one of those last week except I had to hold for an hour to let the RVR come up and I did it in a 210.