Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

How Do You Start a 135 Operation?

Old 03-15-2011, 10:21 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2006

Thanks again!

One more question-

Will I be able to offer SES instruction with my hired pilot, whom I will be seeking, will be a CFI? I am just thinking of more revenue. Or perhaps, this opens up another big can of worms.

ZP
Old 03-16-2011, 01:20 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: King Air 200 CA Hawker 800/900 FO

It should be no problem you just have to designate which flights are going to be training flights and which ones will be 135. There are some 135 carriers that have an arrow/warrior/bonanza/172 that use it for both purposes. Please note most of these aircraft are limited to VFR ops only for part 135. The FAA aircraft requirements for single engine aircraft in IFR can be quite lengthy. Depending on what type of aircraft you're operating.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:23 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2007
Position: June Bug SIC

Originally Posted by Z_Pilot View Post
Where's that update
Sorry I haven't updated sooner. I had my pre-application meeting and have turned in my formal application package, which consist of Initial Compliance Statement, Resume, Formal Application Letter, Contracts/Leases, Proposed Schedule of Events. I am now working on my Hazmat Training Program (apparently required even for single-pilot guys), and getting set up on a drug program. I have also mailed in my ost4507, which is application for DOT Economic Authority. This is an independent thing from the FAA certification, but is required before the FAA will give you your certificate. A few other things close on my radar are MEL, pax briefing cards, and required forms (load manifests, maintenance write-up sheet, weight and balance, etc). All of this is so that I can simply move into the formal part of the process. Needless to say, it's enough to give you a headache. Overall the FSDO has been great to work with, and I have been enjoying the experience. Just another side note to give some insight into the tediousness of the process: my compliance statement took countless hours and was 73 pages by the time I was done. I had to cite every single reg that will apply to me (Part 91, 119, 135, 43) and explain how I plan to comply with that reg. The further along I get in the process, the more I realize how lucky I am that my FSDO is even processing this. Area FSDOs apparently have not processed ANY new applications in some years now. I am very nervous about how a potential government shut down will hurt me, but I guess that is out of my control. The POI told me in the pre-application meeting that they could put the process on hold at any time if they had any budget issues. I am trying to make it as easy on them as possible and hurry it through. I still feel that I am on schedule to be operational before July 1. Hope this helps... this post was a little rushed, as I don't have much free time any more for some reason =). Back to it...
Old 04-06-2011, 12:20 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Thanks for the update!

I hope it all works out for you expeditiously.

What I have never found online, is any example of a formal application package or at least a compliance statement. It seems it would be tremendously helpful...a tool to use as framework in developing your own compliance statement.

Nonetheless, please let us know when you're approved.

ZP
Old 04-06-2011, 04:18 AM
Line Holder

Originally Posted by Z_Pilot View Post
Thanks for the update!

I hope it all works out for you expeditiously.

What I have never found online, is any example of a formal application package or at least a compliance statement. It seems it would be tremendously helpful...a tool to use as framework in developing your own compliance statement.

Nonetheless, please let us know when you're approved.

ZP
I'd be happy to send you a sample compliance statement.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:04 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by JJOSH122 View Post
I'd be happy to send you a sample compliance statement.
Please check PM for my email address. I know you don't often visit this forum, but when you get a chance, I'd love to see your compliance statement.

Thanks Again!

ZP
Old 08-11-2011, 02:47 PM
Line Holder

Default Another Update

Another Update: Well, I'm behind schedule (surprise, surprise), but things are still moving along. My compliance statement, hazmat program, drug program, MEL, and forms have all been approved. I had a little hickup with getting my DOT Economic Authority, but I have that ironed out and they assure me I will be getting my approval in the mail this week or next. My aircraft conformity inspection is scheduled for Tuesday. Assuming that goes well, the only thing I have left is my checkride and then waiting for my opspecs. I have already inquired about getting approval to use an iPad as an EFB, but that is a completely separate process than the 135 certification process. My forms (weight and balance, load manifests, duty time & flight log, etc) are all stored online, allowing my POI to access my records at any time from anywhere with internet access. That's where I'm at, and I expect to be operational by mid September. I have also been working on the marketing end as well, setting the foundation with a good logo and website. If anyone has any ideas about how to best market a new 135 operation I'm all ears, as my focus is starting to shift from how-to-get-started to how-to-actually-make-it-work.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:36 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Mar 2012

Josh -- where are you located? Let me know if you'd be interested in discussion a partnership.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:22 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Feb 2015

Does anyone have a ballpark cost estimate for Part 135 insurance costs (or know where I could find) for a single pilot with minimum hours, non-complex single engine plane, fixed gear, VFR only on a 182 or 206? Are we talking 15k,25k,50k,100k/year? Does it depend on how many hours/year you operate or is it going to be a flat rate?
Old 12-02-2016, 06:24 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jan 2014

Hello, being a very old thread, I'm curious if anyone here has had success launching their 135 operation? Any updates?

Thanks
PF