Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

How Do You Start a 135 Operation?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 06:45 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Feb 2011
Position: retired

Hey Just a question. Did you start the 135 I'm just now starting the research on the topic right now. Been in business for 30 yrs. Now it's time for a different gig. Been retired from flying for a few years and want to get into something different. I have no desire to fly. I what the returns and new fun of doing it.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:49 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2007

Holy thread revival!

Okay now I am curious too... did you get the 135 gig going? Any of you who said you were interested in doing it?
Old 02-22-2011, 08:29 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2007
Position: June Bug SIC
Default Starting The Process

I submitted my PASI (Preapplication Statement of Intent) over 6 months ago and finally got the call last week; they are finally starting the process. My first meeting with the POI is next week. I'll keep you all updated on how it goes, but I can already tell it is going to be very demanding and challenging. I am very excited about going through the process, as I enjoy challenges like this. I recently completed the process of attaining 501c(3) status for my non-profit organization, and this is my next project. I currently manage a Baron 58 and a King Air C90 that will go on my certificate (Does anyone have any feedback on the profitability of these aircraft in a charter environment?). My goal is to have my certificate in hand and operational by July 1.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:31 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2008

Congrats Josh! I hope it works out for you.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:38 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2006

Originally Posted by JJOSH122 View Post
I submitted my PASI (Preapplication Statement of Intent) over 6 months ago and finally got the call last week; they are finally starting the process. My first meeting with the POI is next week. I'll keep you all updated on how it goes, but I can already tell it is going to be very demanding and challenging. I am very excited about going through the process, as I enjoy challenges like this. I recently completed the process of attaining 501c(3) status for my non-profit organization, and this is my next project. I currently manage a Baron 58 and a King Air C90 that will go on my certificate (Does anyone have any feedback on the profitability of these aircraft in a charter environment?). My goal is to have my certificate in hand and operational by July 1.
Where's that update
Old 03-14-2011, 09:13 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2011

Originally Posted by JJOSH122 View Post
I've flown both Pt 135 and all I know is that Beechcraft are expensive to fix and get parts for. Other than that they provide a stable and proven platform. Both are nice rides and quite honestly the King Air gives people that feel of turbine equipment for a fraction of the price. I had one passenger book a flight on a KA 200 from BUF-BIL with a stop in STP for fuel. He just liked the King Air over the Lear Jet. Some people just like what they like and are comfortable with it. Also, first time charters like the King Air 90 because it doesn't break the relative bank and they still feel important because it's a little bigger and is turbine powered. Good luck!
Old 03-15-2011, 01:03 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by Rama View Post
There are different levels of 135 ops. The most basic is a single pilot owner/operator meaming one person, one airplane. This means you have less requirements to meet such as simpler training programs, less required management personnel etc.
The good news with single pilot is there are not training requirements or training manuals or general operations manual. It is the easiest way to go. You can always add pilots and the manuals as you grow the operation.
Good luck with your endevour!
Corp-Capt
Keep in mind if you don't do the the single pilot certificate and you will need a chief pilot, DO and Director of Maintenance. This could be a huge cost if you don't have friends to help you out with this. If you start a Basic 135 Certificate, you can get a waiver to combine the DO and Chief Pilot Position and I believe the Dir of Maintenance as long as they are qualified. I would stay away from sub contractors, the paper work is not that bad as long as you follow the FAA guidance for it. An added benefit is that you will learn a lot by writing the manuals yourself.
Best of Luck,

John V
You are young, start up a basic certificate with 1 airplane and go from there.
Do as much of it as you can yourself, you can ask for help and guidance (PM me if/ when you are ready and have questions). But be involved in it.
Start as a Single Pilot Operator, then become a Single Pilot-in-Command Operator followed by becoming a Basic or Full Part 135 Operator.Guidance
I think the single pilot/single plane operation would be a good place to start. That's what we were before we got approved for the basic. You don't need a GOM (General Operations Manual) , or a Letter of compliance, and you don't need a training program. I think somebody already said it, but the OpsSpecs come from your FAA POI that is working with you. I just outlines what you can and cannot do.

Papa T
Please note, some of the above quotes are partial quotes, edited to keep the size of this post reasonable. I did my best to ensure nothing was taken out of context.

With that said, I too, want to start a little 'ol part 135 gig. My aspirations for this project are small. Basically, I want to use a part 135 operation as a vehicle to pay for my airplane. In time, if it is wildly successful (which it might not be), I could manage up to 3 or 4 airplanes...but, this would be a few years down the road.

My objective: Keep it simple.

My situation: I am an airline guy. In other words, I won't be able to fly for my own company for-hire.

My operation: Primarily flightseeing, secondarily flight instruction. I have a billion other ideas, but I'll pursue those some time down the line.

My quandary, and what I need help with: Can I go the single pilot/single plane route if I am not the one flying my airplane?

I just want to have my airplane, and hire one pilot to fly it (seasonally), that's it! Simple enough.

However, the regs are not very clear to me. They seem to indicate that the single pilot/single airplane 135 certificate must be flown by the owner of the aircraft.

If I have to make a Basic 135 certificate for this project, I just don't see how feasible it is to have a: Chief Pilot, Director of Operations, Director of Maintenance, GOM, Training Program, Hazmat Program for one stinking airplane and one stinking employee!!!!

I need help!

Thanks for any and all assistance.

PS- This will be for a little floatplane, maximum passengers: 4. Most likely a 180, 185, or a M5, M7. For insurance reasons, it would not be an amphib.

Last edited by Z_Pilot; 03-15-2011 at 01:07 AM. Reason: added information
Old 03-15-2011, 08:10 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: King Air 200 CA Hawker 800/900 FO

You can have a single-pilot operation and management and have a different pilot be the single-pilot listed in your ops specs. For what you are trying to do you may be better off getting a LOA for aerial scenic tours. This means you can fly people for sightseeing w/in 25nm of departure airport for hire. The benefit of doing this over a 135 is that it is all legal under part 91 flight rules. The only thing you will have to in addition to what you do now is probably enroll in a drug and alcohol program.

A 135 would probably have way to much overhead for your limited operation. The huge kicker with 135 is gonna be the insurance on the aircraft. Not sure what type of plane you have but flight instruction insurance vs 135 insurance is quite different.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:14 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by fjetter View Post
You can have a single-pilot operation and management and have a different pilot be the single-pilot listed in your ops specs. For what you are trying to do you may be better off getting a LOA for aerial scenic tours. This means you can fly people for sightseeing w/in 25nm of departure airport for hire. The benefit of doing this over a 135 is that it is all legal under part 91 flight rules. The only thing you will have to in addition to what you do now is probably enroll in a drug and alcohol program.

A 135 would probably have way to much overhead for your limited operation. The huge kicker with 135 is gonna be the insurance on the aircraft. Not sure what type of plane you have but flight instruction insurance vs 135 insurance is quite different.
Thanks for the reply. The LOA for <25nm option is not all that attractive to me because the "big sights" in my area are roughly 40nm to 50nm out.

I re-read most of my bookmarked links. Most of them use language such as "single pilot / single plane" for the clause I'd love to use, however, there is a FAA document or two (of course I can't find it right now) that uses "owner/operator" language. That slight term/wording discrepancy is what got me nervous. "Owner/operator" (in my opinion) could possibly indicate that the operator (pilot) must be the owner (of the airplane).

However, thanks to your reply, and other replies I have received in other forums, it looks like my assumption was wrong. Therefore, I can start to formulate a game plan.

Thank so much for your time!

ZP
Old 03-15-2011, 09:36 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: King Air 200 CA Hawker 800/900 FO

Originally Posted by Z_Pilot View Post
Thanks for the reply. The LOA for <25nm option is not all that attractive to me because the "big sights" in my area are roughly 40nm to 50nm out.

I re-read most of my bookmarked links. Most of them use language such as "single pilot / single plane" for the clause I'd love to use, however, there is a FAA document or two (of course I can't find it right now) that uses "owner/operator" language. That slight term/wording discrepancy is what got me nervous. "Owner/operator" (in my opinion) could possibly indicate that the operator (pilot) must be the owner (of the airplane).

However, thanks to your reply, and other replies I have received in other forums, it looks like my assumption was wrong. Therefore, I can start to formulate a game plan.

Thank so much for your time!

ZP
The owner/operator language comes up when the 135 carrier is not the legal owner of the aircraft and that there is some type of lease agreement for the aircraft. The operator will be the one that has the 135 certificate and determines scheduling, crewing, and maintainenance of the aircraft. You may be the operator with out being the pilot listed in the ops specs. However your pilot will need to become very knowledgeable on both parts 119 and 135 as there is minimal company oversight often times during a single pilot operation and the FAA will want accountability. A single pilot op has no DO, CP, DM, or other required management positions listed in Part 119.

Think what if scenarios when you are unavailable for consultation. You need to make sure your pilot doesn't violate the FARs and get you in trouble.

Best of luck to you hope you get a POI that wants to be constructive and help you rather than be a PITA. This makes a huge difference on getting the certification done efficiently.