Search
Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

How Do You Start a 135 Operation?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 01:33 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2007
Position: ATP, CFII, MEI, Chief Flight Instructor, Charter Captain CE402, CE421, BE58

The company I work for just got our Basic 135 approved and I had a big part in the process. It was alot of work, but I learned a ton. I would check into some of the resources these guys have put out there. I think the single pilot/single plane operation would be a good place to start. That's what we were before we got approved for the basic. You don't need a GOM (General Operations Manual) , or a Letter of compliance, and you don't need a training program. I think somebody already said it, but the OpsSpecs come from your FAA POI that is working with you. I just outlines what you can and cannot do.
With our basic we can have up to five airplanes and five pilots. As far as figuring operating costs, I think that some of the things that go into it are the insurance, hangar, maint., fuel, pilot(s), and maybe a couple other things.
I'm not completely sure on that.

Good Luck and I hope some of that helps

Papa T
Old 03-06-2009, 08:37 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2006

I'm at a small part 135 freight company that started about 2 years ago. It was a long and expensive process to get the company started. The management guys, the CP and the DOM all had plenty of 135 experience which helped quite a bit, but it didn't really shorten the process. It took about a year with some full time employees working towards one goal to start operating and another 5 months to add the jets. The planes were ready from day 1. The only hold up was the FAA.

It sounds like your goal would be to start a smaller operation which would be much easier, but some part 135 experience would go a long way towards making that process go smoother. If you flew for the right company they would welcome your desire to learn if it meant they could dump some of the office work on you. Sometimes it's hard to find pilots that don't mind sitting in front of a desk organizing and maintaining records. You won't ever find me doing it willingly.
Old 03-07-2009, 11:45 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2008
Position: On top.

Originally Posted by timeless View Post
You won't ever find me doing it willingly.
Then they will force you
Old 03-08-2009, 01:50 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Mar 2009

Originally Posted by CitationJason View Post
If I really have my way, I want to set up my company and 135 operation, and seperate from that organize a group of owners to purchase an airplane under a seperate LLC, and then my 135 company would manage the aircraft and would list the aircraft for charter. From there I would like to allocate the majority of the profit to purchasing out each of the shareholders of the airplane. In addition I would want to add an airplane, that my company would own, not individuals. From there I wouldn't mind getting into additional similar management contracts similar to the initial one. Beyond that I would want to add airplanes and locations, then get into the school, freight, EMS, anything that involves airplanes and revenue. There are more ideas from there, but they are a little to wild and outrageous to include in the context of a serious conversation.

CJ
Hello, a good day to all members here, I am new here but I am already loving this place ! would like to do more or less the same in Madeira - Portugal, could you be so kind to help ?
Old 03-10-2009, 08:38 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Feb 2007

What are some good planes for starting a flight school / 135 operation?
Old 03-10-2009, 10:20 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Apr 2008

Don't do it! Run away! Lol, Just kidding. I did it because the flying jobs that I was looking for didn't seem attainable at the time. Getting a 135 Cert. looked more promising. It took me a year and a half to get my 135 cert. I bought one of those manual packages and spent a hell of a lot of time editing the manuals to fit my operation. Don't make your operation fit a poorly written off the shelf manual set.

I got a basic 135 (no more than 5 planes/pilots) with one six seat twin. Over 15 years we grew to half a dozen 10 seaters. But I tell ya, it was very demanding. Stupid demanding. Eight days a week was the norm. Family? whats that. Oh yea, it's called what you sacrifice. I threw everything I had at toward that endeavor. If you're gonna do something like that you gotta be able to do it all. And I'm talkin' everything. Every little aspect, no matter how big or how small, you have to be the master of it and show everyone you bring in how to do the specific thing you need them to do.

You need to know it all but not necessarily DO it all, but be able to. That way you'll have a handle on everything and not get snowed over. Snow costs money in that business.

I did it 'till I was burnt out and damn near insane. That, with a few new over zealous inspectors at the local FSDO looking for any reason to violate really got me asking myself if this was REALLY what I wanted to do with my life. The answer wasn't no, but hell no. I had enough of that noise and ended that horror movie. Do you get the feeling that I really wasn't happy doing that?

Anyway, there have been some very sucessful 135 operations and many are doing very well. Yours may be one of them. And I must say that even though it was a severe pain at times, I feel fortunate to have met and worked with some very fine and dedicated individuals that I will hold dearly in my heart for the rest of my life.

All the best of luck to you CJ, I wouldn't do it again, but maybe it may work for you.

P.S. In the past, I would'nt have had the time to post a response such as this but, now I do. BTW, I'm still flying for a living with a fraction of the stress level.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:48 PM
Line Holder

I am seriously considering starting a Part 135 operation. I think it would be better to go in with a partner or get a basic cert just running a passenger service. I have been doing alot of research on it.

Only thing is I dont understand the different types of certifications. I am part 121 now. Different rules apply there.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:16 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Let's assume I get a cert for a 135 freight operation. Who would I approach regarding contracts? Feight forwarders? Local companies? If I was only a single ship operation I would assume I'd be off the radar for feeder work right?
Old 03-25-2009, 07:21 PM
Line Holder

Originally Posted by Stratapilot View Post
Let's assume I get a cert for a 135 freight operation. Who would I approach regarding contracts? Feight forwarders? Local companies? If I was only a single ship operation I would assume I'd be off the radar for feeder work right?
Strata pilot thats a very good question you asked. I am interested in seeing the responses to that one. I had a friend who managed a hospital who suggested approaching them because they usually need air carriers sometimes to ship medical supplies and specimens. Good luck.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:53 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Yep, Me and a Navajo. Thats the dream.