Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

How Do You Start a 135 Operation?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 03:43 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2016

Originally Posted by CitationJason View Post
Thank you guys so much for your help. I love these forums! This dream is still a long ways away, but I can start the research and planning process now.

Sincerely,
CitationJason

Jason,
I will not recommend hiring or paying a firm to do Market research for you. There is no information they will come with that you do not know already. The information is all out there. Join NBAA, do the digging yourself. You can find just about any information you want on Operating costs of any kind or type of business aircraft out there. AOPA is another source. Talk to a lot of folks who already have such operations. There is never a market saturation.
Propeller Investments is a company that has some knowledgeable guys. Check them out as well.

Thanks,
A
Old 06-10-2017, 05:45 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007

Originally Posted by PhotoFlyer View Post
Hello, being a very old thread, I'm curious if anyone here has had success launching their 135 operation? Any updates?

Thanks
PF
Sure. It can be done. Here are some links to help you out.

How to Start A Part 135 Operation

8900.1 Volume 2
Old 06-22-2017, 11:29 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2016

Originally Posted by MOKIII View Post
Don't do it! Run away! Lol, Just kidding. I did it because the flying jobs that I was looking for didn't seem attainable at the time. Getting a 135 Cert. looked more promising. It took me a year and a half to get my 135 cert. I bought one of those manual packages and spent a hell of a lot of time editing the manuals to fit my operation. Don't make your operation fit a poorly written off the shelf manual set.

I got a basic 135 (no more than 5 planes/pilots) with one six seat twin. Over 15 years we grew to half a dozen 10 seaters. But I tell ya, it was very demanding. Stupid demanding. Eight days a week was the norm. Family? whats that. Oh yea, it's called what you sacrifice. I threw everything I had at toward that endeavor. If you're gonna do something like that you gotta be able to do it all. And I'm talkin' everything. Every little aspect, no matter how big or how small, you have to be the master of it and show everyone you bring in how to do the specific thing you need them to do.

You need to know it all but not necessarily DO it all, but be able to. That way you'll have a handle on everything and not get snowed over. Snow costs money in that business.

I did it 'till I was burnt out and damn near insane. That, with a few new over zealous inspectors at the local FSDO looking for any reason to violate really got me asking myself if this was REALLY what I wanted to do with my life. The answer wasn't no, but hell no. I had enough of that noise and ended that horror movie. Do you get the feeling that I really wasn't happy doing that?

Anyway, there have been some very sucessful 135 operations and many are doing very well. Yours may be one of them. And I must say that even though it was a severe pain at times, I feel fortunate to have met and worked with some very fine and dedicated individuals that I will hold dearly in my heart for the rest of my life.

All the best of luck to you CJ, I wouldn't do it again, but maybe it may work for you.

P.S. In the past, I would'nt have had the time to post a response such as this but, now I do. BTW, I'm still flying for a living with a fraction of the stress level.

From my experience with freight 135's it seems like most of them were started up in the 70's. It was much, much, much easier and cost effective to get a certificate back then.

I am a pretty entrepreneurial guy. I would never want to start or buy an aviation operation because of all of the regulations and things that could potentially go wrong. The liability is never ending.

If I were going to have my own operation I would buy someone else's 135 certificate. Write a very detailed business plan and then approach investors. You should start trying to get to know FBO owners in your local area and start out by telling them about how your dream is to start your own operation and ask them for advice about how they got started. A lot of these guys are getting older now and their kids have no interest in running the business.

btw: If you were not one of those kids who read the dictionary for fun growing up then you probably do not want to get into this. You should definitely be a strong writer and have strong written and verbal communication skills to do a job like this.