Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Cape Air glides into Naples

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 09:14 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2008
Position: yes

Originally Posted by FlyJSH View Post
Unfortunately, they have quoted or at least paraphrased what has been said on this forum. They do it just like they find a friend's cousin's buddy who has a Tomahawk to be an "expert" on the ditching properties of an Airbus.

Also some non-pilot types, the kind that wouldn't know an APU from an NG, start threads like this:

http://www.airlinepilotforums.com/ma...-thoughts.html

So if we, "the real experts", start casting doubt on another pilot, the nut cases will come out the woodwork and say "pilots are incompetent, drunken, womanizers." I know that isn't true, almost all of us are competent
Ow, my head hurts after reading that thread

Last edited by 9kBud; 01-28-2009 at 09:14 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 01-29-2009, 09:55 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2005

Originally Posted by check6 View Post
I'm offering an apology. I am not fully aware of the demographics of experience at Cape Air, however, I do know there are pilots at Cape Air who have been around since the beginning if not right after the beginning. I also know there are Cape Air pilots who have recently been hired with not so much experience.

Without having insider knowledge of who the pilot actually was. . .my assumption could be considered a valid point. With your "kind" assistance, I now know my assumption is wrong.

Furthermore. . .I'm stating that despite one's experience level(Cape Air pilot or not), the ability to make snap decisions in a limited amount of time is possible.

What I'm really "knocking" is the media. Obviously you didn't pick up on that.
Of course, how could I not see all these words between the lines in your original post.
You don't need 20K hrs to make good decisions, correct, so why make the assumption?
I did not mention Cape Air, but I know first hand that they do have some good talent from a wide spectrum.
If I bid a monthly line which had me locked up front of a tin can with a jerk in the left seat, I would understand how one would make such a statement.
Things like this let us know that we are all vulnerable.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:21 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2009
Position: PA-31/left, LJ31/right

Two comments on this one:

#1: Good job on the dead stick landing in any airplane. Obviously this guy is a good pilot.

#2: I think we need to stop raving about this guy. I don't care who/what/when/why/how/etc. If you land any airplane dead stick with no apparent cause, you obviously missed something in the pre-flight/run-up/etc. Lets not mask the fact that his flying abilities made up for lack of being a pilot.

You can teach a monkey to fly an airplane, not everyone can be a pilot.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:02 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: Captain part 135

Originally Posted by mshunter View Post
Two comments on this one:

#1: Good job on the dead stick landing in any airplane. Obviously this guy is a good pilot.

#2: I think we need to stop raving about this guy. I don't care who/what/when/why/how/etc. If you land any airplane dead stick with no apparent cause, you obviously missed something in the pre-flight/run-up/etc. Lets not mask the fact that his flying abilities made up for lack of being a pilot.

There was an apparent cause, it just has not been fully released yet. Maybe you should hold off on passing judgment until then.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:33 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by bullmechum View Post
There was an apparent cause, it just has not been fully released yet. Maybe you should hold off on passing judgment until then.
Likewise as should everyone else. Great pilot or not, something was missed. We are creatures of assumption, which is the mother of all eff ups. I may be effing up, but I have my money on black.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:32 AM
Day puke

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: Out.

Great pilot or not, something was missed. We are creatures of assumption, which is the mother of all eff ups. I may be effing up, but I have my money on black.
Of course he missed something....
He should have taken off the fuel valve inspection panels off and insured all the linkage was properly lubricated. Or maybe he should have gone to the fuel refinery to insure the 100LL was up to snuff.

I'll put my money on the pilot and his fifteen years (or whatever it was) in 402s.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:31 PM
Gets Weekends Off

O.K., O.K., mabey I shoulden't have been so harsh. But I still think we should all wait and see to pass judgement before we know the actual cause. As far as I can find, there is no AD on the feul selector valves of the 400 series, just the float valves.
Old 01-31-2009, 12:30 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2007
Position: J-3 Back Seat

This ones a little easier that the chicken and the road one: Which come first? A broken part or an AD.?

Stuff breaks man! It breaks in the air, on the ground, in the hanger. Its got to break first before the AD. Im sure the FAA is psychic though and they will issue the AD before it breaks to protect us from ourselves.
Old 01-31-2009, 07:14 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by KiloAlphaPapa View Post
This ones a little easier that the chicken and the road one: Which come first? A broken part or an AD.?

Stuff breaks man! It breaks in the air, on the ground, in the hanger. Its got to break first before the AD. Im sure the FAA is psychic though and they will issue the AD before it breaks to protect us from ourselves.
Did you read the entire thread? How many people have to notice a re-accuring problem before it's fixed? FAA being psychic. How about the FAA being notified of a re-accuring problem, or mabey even Cessna. Check post 12, 15, just in this thread. And yes, things break. I should know, I used be be a wrench. Just remember, the jury (NTSB/FAA) is still out on this one. So should we hang him before the jury comes back, or mabey set him free?

I just want to bring up another story that has some relavence here. I know that you all know of the AirBus that set down in the Hudson river. That man is a hero. Why? Because we know the cause of the accident. A bird strike took out both engines. This man, who knows if he is a hero, or an idot. No one knows the cause yet. So why am I being chastised for asking people to hold thier tounge befor we know the cause?

How about this. The table have been turned. Lets say that it was you, any one of you reading this, and people got hurt, and it was a maint. issue. And everyone was ripping you appart because people got hurt, and the accident was considered your fault by thr media, other pilots, the families of the people who were hurt, etc. But you knew that there was nothing you could have done, because of something that reared it's ugly head during the flight. What would you be saying when it was found out to be not your fault.

Now, I ask everyone who is reading this, to stop an consider what may have happened. Yes, I appluad this pilot for makeing a safe landing, good job. I only wish I can do the same thing given his circumstances. But I am also curious to see what the cause was.
Old 01-31-2009, 12:36 PM
Day puke

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: Out.

Just remember, the jury (NTSB/FAA) is still out on this one. So should we hang him before the jury comes back, or mabey set him free?

This man, who knows if he is a hero, or an idot. No one knows the cause yet. So why am I being chastised for asking people to hold thier tounge befor we know the cause?

Quite an attitude change since your first post....