Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Cape Air glides into Naples

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 04:55 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2009
Position: PA-31/left, LJ31/right

Originally Posted by FlyJSH View Post
Quite an attitude change since your first post....

At least we agree on something. I know my first post came off half cocked, and for that, I do deserve a slap on the wrist.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:34 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2006
Position: DA50EX
Default NTSB Prelim

ERA09IA140
Old 02-01-2009, 12:56 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Hmmmm. So it sounds like the pilot went from a tank he knew had fuel, to one that was suspect, because when he switched to a tank he knew had fuel, things started getting worse. Then when tested the airplane, it sounds as if they were able to get it to run with the fuel on board. And they found the selector valve in-between 2 settings. Some one smell an AD coming (as should have already been done due to experience from A&P's fighting this issue). But why were the investigators able to get in running w/out adding any fuel?

Still looking for some guidance on weather I should run for the hills or stand my ground. It sounds like the pilot did everything he should, but was it done properly? The investigators were able to get it running.
Old 02-01-2009, 01:17 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2005

Originally Posted by mshunter View Post
Hmmmm. So it sounds like the pilot went from a tank he knew had fuel, to one that was suspect, because when he switched to a tank he knew had fuel, things started getting worse. Then when tested the airplane, it sounds as if they were able to get it to run with the fuel on board. And they found the selector valve in-between 2 settings. Some one smell an AD coming (as should have already been done due to experience from A&P's fighting this issue). But why were the investigators able to get in running w/out adding any fuel?

Still looking for some guidance on weather I should run for the hills or stand my ground. It sounds like the pilot did everything he should, but was it done properly? The investigators were able to get it running.
Your persistence makes up for your lack of tactfulness. You sound like you're headhunting, go work for the feds.
We can read the preliminary without your Monday morning quarterbacking.
Old 02-01-2009, 01:37 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by JUG47 View Post
Your persistence makes up for your lack of tactfulness. You sound like you're headhunting, go work for the feds.
We can read the preliminary without your Monday morning quarterbacking.

I am not head hunting. I am asking a serious question. I have no knowledge of the way the selector valves work in this airplane and am asking the serious question if it was the fuel valves or the pilot. It sounds like he tried his best to restore engine power, to no avail. So, should I be running for the hills with my tail between my legs? Why else would the fuel valves be taken by the investigators. Mabey I wasn't clear with my post. But it sounds like, and I hate to say it because of my first post, we should all be praising the pilot? Am I wrong? I am simply asking because I don't understand how the fuel system in the airplane works. PM me if you feel it necessary.
Old 02-01-2009, 06:44 PM
Tuk er jerbs!

Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: B747 Left

If the report is accurate, the left fuel selector was pointed to draw from the left tank (tank-to-engine), but wasn't engaged into the detent. This means that it was still in the crossfeed position, with the left engine running off of the right tank. When the pilot moved the right fuel selector to the left tank (full of fuel), the right engine quit as well.

I believe, and please someone correct me if I'm wrong, but you can't have two engines in crossfeed at one time. With the left engine already in crossfeed (with the pilot unaware), the right engine wouldn't accept a crossfeed to the left tank. I can't tell you why the engines started on the ground with the fuel in the tank, but these engines are very finicky. Perhaps they'd run while on a level ramp, but in the air in a nose-down pitch attitude they wouldn't. Nothing conclusive can be drawn from this yet.
Old 02-01-2009, 07:09 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by NightIP View Post
If the report is accurate, the left fuel selector was pointed to draw from the left tank (tank-to-engine), but wasn't engaged into the detent. This means that it was still in the crossfeed position, with the left engine running off of the right tank. When the pilot moved the right fuel selector to the left tank (full of fuel), the right engine quit as well.

I believe, and please someone correct me if I'm wrong, but you can't have two engines in crossfeed at one time. With the left engine already in crossfeed (with the pilot unaware), the right engine wouldn't accept a crossfeed to the left tank. I can't tell you why the engines started on the ground with the fuel in the tank, but these engines are very finicky. Perhaps they'd run while on a level ramp, but in the air in a nose-down pitch attitude they wouldn't. Nothing conclusive can be drawn from this yet.
Thank you for the clarification. Not quite time to run yet. But my gut tells me it's comming soon.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:24 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2006
Position: DA50EX

Originally Posted by NightIP View Post

Yup you are correct, when the left side was xfeeding from the right tank it cuts off supply from the left tank at the selector where the right xfeed line draws its fuel from. As far as starting on the ground who knows what they were able to do diffently.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:57 AM
Day puke

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: Out.

Which A&P's are you referring to?

They were able to get the engines running because there was nothing wrong with the engines.

You really are beginning to sound like an ambulance chaser.

Lawyers make me nervous. Just the thought of a lawyer can make me break out in a cold sweat! I think I have PTSD!!! I AM GOING TO SUE!
Old 02-02-2009, 03:06 PM
Gets Weekends Off

ARRGGGGHHHHH. I give up. unsubscribing. Never mind that I was here to gain some knowledge.