Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Phoenix Air

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 01:29 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2007
Default Phoenix Air

Anyone have any info about Phoenix Air out of Georgia besides the web info? Pay, hiring mins.

Thanks
Old 01-24-2009, 01:59 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2008
Position: Any port in the storm

They appeared to be hiring lately, although not through the conventional job sites.

Phoenix Air Group, Inc - First Officer/Co-Pilot - Job Details

Notice how fishy this one is...it's a "co-pilot" position for alleged charter work...

and they only want a minimum of 750 hours TT? For Lears and Gulfstreams?

I suppose it's a coincidence that they prefer applicants with a CFI...not like they have a flight school or anything down there, eh? Lol.

Wouldn't mind doing some instructing and charter work...between the two it could be fulfilling. That being said, I never heard back from them after I applied on the 4th.

I have a buddy with pretty high times that's been eyeing Phoenix for some time...
Old 01-25-2009, 05:15 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2008
Position: On top.

Originally Posted by TheSultanofScud View Post
Notice how fishy this one is...it's a "co-pilot" position for alleged charter work...
Charter is not allowed to have Co-Pilots? Wow

and they only want a minimum of 750 hours TT? For Lears and Gulfstreams?
Regionals want less for Co-Pilots in their airplanes.
Old 01-25-2009, 05:36 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2008
Position: Any port in the storm

Sure the regionals want less for their copilots. But in the last year, every job I've seen requiring a Learjet SIC has wanted about 2,500 TT, 500-1,000 ME and some turbine time. In a world where disgruntled, unemployed Barbie Jet FOs are a dime a dozen, 750 hours with no ME seems a little bit less than competitive; especially with the early model Learjet's learning curve. Of the guys I know who have flown the slew of RJ models and Lear, it's not even in the same ballpark in terms of performance and instability. Just sayin'.

What's fishy to me is that a company advertises for such peculiarly low times, but mandates that you have a CFI. I know a guy who instructed till he was blue in the face, got hired by a charter outfit, and just about never did an actual 135 flight. Why? Because he was the only pilot at the FBO with a CFI, and they just continued to use him as an instructor. Hence my hesitation to leave instructing for a 135 job when it appears the "charter" work will be little more than instructing at a company that happens to have a 135 cert.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:50 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Mar 2009
Position: Gulfstream G1 SIC

Sure the regionals want less for their copilots. But in the last year, every job I've seen requiring a Learjet SIC has wanted about 2,500 TT, 500-1,000 ME and some turbine time. In a world where disgruntled, unemployed Barbie Jet FOs are a dime a dozen, 750 hours with no ME seems a little bit less than competitive; especially with the early model Learjet's learning curve. Of the guys I know who have flown the slew of RJ models and Lear, it's not even in the same ballpark in terms of performance and instability. Just sayin'.

What's fishy to me is that a company advertises for such peculiarly low times, but mandates that you have a CFI. I know a guy who instructed till he was blue in the face, got hired by a charter outfit, and just about never did an actual 135 flight. Why? Because he was the only pilot at the FBO with a CFI, and they just continued to use him as an instructor. Hence my hesitation to leave instructing for a 135 job when it appears the "charter" work will be little more than instructing at a company that happens to have a 135 cert.
I was hired by Phoenix in Jan. I had 1200TT and 46multi. I love the job and get to visit all kinds of great military bases. The reason they list the time low is not because they want a specific number of hours but because they need a specific type of person who can think on their feet. They want decision makers and you usually get that with CFI's. We do a lot of approaches to min's and fly in a lot of out of the box environments on our military ops that airline guys usually never experience.

Great company but they only hire when they need someone and the turnover rate is very low. They pay better than any regional you will find and you cap around 100K at about 10 years. If you are interested in Phoenix all I can say is stay in touch and good luck. It is a great gig!
Old 03-22-2009, 08:59 PM
On Reserve

BigJet - if you want any information feel free to contact me. My original username was "eersfanpilot" and I had a thread on here back in Jan about jobs still being out there. I forgot my password so I had to resign up. If you send me a PM I will send you my e-mail and we can talk about Phoenix.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:45 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2008
Position: Grad school student - again...

Is Phoenix still hiring or is it a 'selective' hiring right now? I'd be interested, but I want to make sure that it is real before I put an application in. No point in wasting time over applying for a job that does not exist... I have CFI-I, MEI, and >135.243 minimums.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:50 AM
On Reserve

They had nothing posted when they hired me. I applied roughly 3 ~ 5 times in 6 months so they hired me. They are always selective when they hire and do not advertise a lot when they need someone.
Old 03-28-2009, 03:34 PM
On Reserve

Default Info

Anyone find out if Phoenix Air is hiring? What are their pilot bases and schedule? Thanks in advance
Old 03-28-2009, 04:21 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2007

I sent in a resume 26 March & got a not hiring response the next day.