Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   Cape Air (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/39132-cape-air.html)

par8head 10-06-2009 06:37 AM

Does anyone know when the STL flyings is supposed to be awarded by the DOT?

The flying is supposed to start on November first, but what is the latest it can be awarded?

JustAnotherPLT 10-06-2009 06:02 PM

Hey, not to steer off your topic but I have a question. It's been asked before but never answered directly.

If hired by Cape Air, is it possible to commute, I.E. out of Atlanta :D?

NightIP 10-06-2009 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by JustAnotherPLT (Post 690048)
Hey, not to steer off your topic but I have a question. It's been asked before but never answered directly.

If hired by Cape Air, is it possible to commute, I.E. out of Atlanta :D?

It's certainly doable. There are quite a few commuters here, particularly furloughed 121 guys. We have a commuting policy just like many other airlines as well. The only two issues are these:

- Your line terminates at your base each night, so there are very rarely any hotels paid for by the company. Your housing is your responsibility each night when you get back to base. It's wonderful for those who live in base, but not so great for commuters.

- Unless you're based in BOS (not bloody likely) or SJU (still not likely), your commutes will probably be at least a 2-legger. You'll have to plan accordingly.

Either way, people do make it work. Good luck.

par8head 10-12-2009 02:17 PM

Anyone heard anything about the proposed STL flying? Shouldn't that have been awarded by now?

TPROP4ever 10-12-2009 03:08 PM

I'm not sure what is happening, but for some reason the DOT last thrursday decided to postpone their decision, for 3 weeks. No one is quite sure why.....

BelowMins 10-12-2009 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by TPROP4ever (Post 693060)
I'm not sure what is happening, but for some reason the DOT last thrursday decided to postpone their decision, for 3 weeks. No one is quite sure why.....

Source? That's not a good sign if it's true

trevv 10-12-2009 06:39 PM

I think theres a bit of a sticking point with Decatur, Ft. Leonardwood (TBN), and Burlington. Decatur and Burlington picked an airline that promised them flights to ORD, which they (as of yet) can't officially provide. TBN selected Gulfstream who got none of the other selections and will not provide service to only one city. I don't know if DOT is giving the airline more time to negotiate for space at ORD or giving cities more time to make an alternate selection (or both).

TPROP4ever 10-13-2009 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by BelowMins (Post 693177)
Source? That's not a good sign if it's true

This was the article I read last thursday.

http://www.thehawkeye.com/story/airport-carrier-100709

TPROP4ever 10-15-2009 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by TPROP4ever (Post 693326)
This was the article I read last thursday.

Since my previous posting the link doesnt seem to work here is the article for those interested......

Burlington air carrier decision delayed

By JEFF ABELL

[email protected]

Southeast Iowa Regional Airport officials will have to wait to learn which air carrier will be tapped to provide commercial service to the Burlington airport.

http://community.thehawkeye.com/images/clear.gif http://classifieds.thehawkeye.com/pu...ckPain1212.jpg

"They're telling us it will be a few more weeks before they announce their pick. That puts us in the difficult position of not knowing where we stand," said Mary Beaird, airport manager.

Federal transportation officials have postponed awarding a two-year contract for essential air service until later this month. The announcement was expected last week.

Great Lakes Aviation will continue to provide air service until the United States Department of Transportation awards a contract, according to Beaird.

The Wyoming-based air carrier, whose two-year contract expired in September, was not the choice of airport officials.

Instead, officials recommended Missouri-based Air Choice One to provide essential air service to the airport on Summer Street.

The decision was supported by the West Burlington and Burlington city councils and the Des Moines County Board of supervisors, all of whom have a financial stake in the airport.

"We have a great working relationship with Great Lakes. Our recommendation doesn't reflect on the quality of service they provide. It was based on destination," Beaird.

Air Choice One proposed two flights daily to St. Louis and the same number of flights to O'Hare International Airport in Chicago. The Chicago flights would be offered if the carrier can secure gate space at O'Hare.

Beaird said flights to Chicago are vital to the airport's future. She said: "We feel that having flights to O'Hare will increase our emplanements."

Great Lakes proposed maintaining its current schedule of three flights a day from Burlington to the Kansas City International Airport.

A year ago, the carrier offered flights to St. Louis, but the company found Kansas City travelers outnumbered those going to St. Louis by more than 2-to-1.

Gulfstream International proposed offering two flights a day to St. Louis. Gulfstream operates flights as a Continental Airlines commuter carrier.

Besides Burlington, other contracts up for bid include Cape Girardeau and Fort Leonard Wood, both in Missouri, as well as Illinois airports in Decatur, Marion and Quincy.

Fort Leonard Wood opted for Gulfstream, while Cape Girardeau, Marion and Quincy recommended Cape Air of Massachusetts, according to Beaird. It was unclear Tuesday which air carrier Decatur recommended to the U.S. DOT.

par8head 10-17-2009 02:23 PM

STL delayed from NOV 1 to NOV 8, due to political reasons....I guess they are still acting as though we are winning the flying