Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Cape Air

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 08:09 PM
Fly or Die

Joined APC: Jan 2019

Originally Posted by ESQ702 View Post
Any feedback yet on the Spirit partnership with Cape? It seems a bit too good to be true that after hitting 3000 TT (including sufficient time as PIC in Cape metal) you’re in as a FO at Spirit.

What’s the catch? What am I missing?

The big risk, as I see it, is that you build up PIC time to 3,000 TT in a non-turbine plane and can’t make the Spirit transition. Then you will have difficulties with doing anything but moving to another regional...
I’m re-asking my questions above again to see if there is anyone on here who can provide additional feedback (I’ve had one reply so far that was based on info from a recruiter).

Alternatively, if anyone works currently for Cape and would rather answer that way, PM me please.
Old 05-30-2019, 07:37 AM
On Reserve

Can someone who currently works at 9K advise on what a Boston line typically looks like?

Thank you
Old 05-30-2019, 03:34 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Apr 2018

Originally Posted by StanATZ View Post
Can someone who currently works at 9K advise on what a Boston line typically looks like?

Thank you
As a captain or an FO?

If you’re a prospective captain, you’ll need 4 years to hold BOS, so don’t buy what they’re selling.

As an FO, it’s not a great base. If you’re able to live at home on the minimum wage Cape pays, that helps, but otherwise the lines are some of the lowest paying, and least flight time in the northeast. Now that OGS is gone, you don’t have the longer outstation days, which is nice, but there’s not a lot of overtime (or any in some cases) built in.
Old 05-30-2019, 03:44 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2018
Default Cape Air

Originally Posted by tacocat View Post
As a captain or an FO?

If you’re a prospective captain, you’ll need 4 years to hold BOS, so don’t buy what they’re selling.

As an FO, it’s not a great base. If you’re able to live at home on the minimum wage Cape pays, that helps, but otherwise the lines are some of the lowest paying, and least flight time in the northeast. Now that OGS is gone, you don’t have the longer outstation days, which is nice, but there’s not a lot of overtime (or any in some cases) built in.

While generally BOS runs senior, this isn’t accurate. This summer someone is holding Boston as a captain with around a year of seniority. Second there is no typical BOS line, it tends to be filler for gaps in what the outstation captains can do schedule wise mixed with a bunch of cape and islands runs.

The best bases both for FOs and Captains tends to be EAS route outstations. Build the most time with the most humane schedules. The flip side is living in those places and the sometimes challenge of finding reasonable housing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-30-2019, 03:59 PM
Lernin' Stuff

Position: Newbtube

Originally Posted by BravoTango View Post

The best bases both for FOs and Captains tends to be EAS route outstations. Build the most time with the most humane schedules. The flip side is living

Newb question: What does EAS stand for?
Old 05-30-2019, 04:00 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2018

Originally Posted by Skyjumper View Post
Newb question: What does EAS stand for?

Google Essential Air Service

Old 05-30-2019, 07:23 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Mar 2019

Hi folks, has anyone done or heard of a recent Cape Air interview? I just wondered if there was any new information, words of wisdom, etc that you could provide.
Cheers
Old 05-31-2019, 04:12 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Jan 2016

Originally Posted by Jimmy8686 View Post
Hi folks, has anyone done or heard of a recent Cape Air interview? I just wondered if there was any new information, words of wisdom, etc that you could provide.
Cheers
Use the aviationinterviews.com study guide and interview feedback posts for Cape Air. They are very accurate and up to date. Good luck.
Old 05-31-2019, 06:55 AM
Line Holder

Originally Posted by BravoTango View Post
While generally BOS runs senior, this isn’t accurate. This summer someone is holding Boston as a captain with around a year of seniority. Second there is no typical BOS line, it tends to be filler for gaps in what the outstation captains can do schedule wise mixed with a bunch of cape and islands runs.

The best bases both for FOs and Captains tends to be EAS route outstations. Build the most time with the most humane schedules. The flip side is living in those places and the sometimes challenge of finding reasonable housing.

The BOS primaries run senior, and should they flex the base back down come October, it’s still going to be senior. Sure, there’s an extra spot or two right for the summer, but one is an SVT line and one of the captains holding the primary is out on an LOA.

Unless something changes drastically, it’s very unlikely a newer captain will be able to hold Boston with any consistency, if at all, and you shouldn’t try and give the impression that it’s otherwise.
Old 05-31-2019, 12:23 PM
On Reserve

Thanks a lot everyone who replied to my question about BOS lines. Some really great info 👍👍👍