Search
Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Cape Air

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 02:08 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Mar 2014

Are folks getting hired out of Cape for the majors/lcc's, or do you still need to do a stint at the regionals? Who values the piston multi time, if most require turbine pic? Just trying to understand it.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:15 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: Dream Job

Originally Posted by Zipp View Post
Are folks getting hired out of Cape for the majors/lcc's, or do you still need to do a stint at the regionals? Who values the piston multi time, if most require turbine pic? Just trying to understand it.
Not if they don't have turbine time already. People come here to transition to the part 135/corporate world. I think I wrote this in another thread. It is an extra rung in the career ladder if you are trying to go to the majors.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:32 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2008

Originally Posted by Zipp View Post
Seems like the majority of pilots that have left in the last two years have gone to either Air Wisconsin or Wheels Up. Then of course, there's the JetBlue gateway program...
Old 09-05-2014, 06:31 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Sep 2014

Hello all,

I've recently been in contact with a cape air recruiter. She said to expect a phone call next week. I applied a week ago after her recommendation. I've been looking over this thread and still have some questions, since some haven't been asked and things may have changed over time.

I'm currently at 925 TT, with 113 ME. I live about 60 miles north of NYC. If I were hired at 9K, what sort of flying would I be doing? I've read a lot on how many flights are single pilot, so what flights do FOs get? Since I don't live near a base that I would be likely to get, I suppose it doesn't matter where I am sent. But what does the work schedule look like? My idea is that on my off days I can commute back to my house here in NY. But I'm not sure a 5 on 2 off schedule would work with that plan. Also, what's the commitment time period? I read how it might not be best to just get to 1500 and then leave. My goal is to get to a regional airline where I can commute (although I understand it isn't easy even then). But my family is very important to me. Thanks for the help in advance!
Old 09-05-2014, 07:05 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2013

Originally Posted by PilotAlex17 View Post
Hello all,

I've recently been in contact with a cape air recruiter. She said to expect a phone call next week. I applied a week ago after her recommendation. I've been looking over this thread and still have some questions, since some haven't been asked and things may have changed over time.

I'm currently at 925 TT, with 113 ME. I live about 60 miles north of NYC. If I were hired at 9K, what sort of flying would I be doing? I've read a lot on how many flights are single pilot, so what flights do FOs get? Since I don't live near a base that I would be likely to get, I suppose it doesn't matter where I am sent. But what does the work schedule look like? My idea is that on my off days I can commute back to my house here in NY. But I'm not sure a 5 on 2 off schedule would work with that plan. Also, what's the commitment time period? I read how it might not be best to just get to 1500 and then leave. My goal is to get to a regional airline where I can commute (although I understand it isn't easy even then). But my family is very important to me. Thanks for the help in advance!
I was recently hired but haven't started yet. Basically FO is not required so if there is 9 passengers you cant fly. pretty sure most schedules are 4 on 3 off. if you hit ATP mins you upgrade to captain and you are expected to stay 12 months. best to stay that 12 months or else you risk being marked as ineligible for rehire and if you plan on continuing your aviation career you don't want that.
Old 09-05-2014, 01:30 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2010
Default Cape Air

Originally Posted by teddy3412 View Post
I was recently hired but haven't started yet. Basically FO is not required so if there is 9 passengers you cant fly. pretty sure most schedules are 4 on 3 off. if you hit ATP mins you upgrade to captain and you are expected to stay 12 months. best to stay that 12 months or else you risk being marked as ineligible for rehire and if you plan on continuing your aviation career you don't want that.

I don't think the ineligible for rehire will hurt an aviation career. An employer can write anything about the employee.

As long as you can explain it. Besides after 5 years it goes away on the pria I believe.

Not arguing with you, but I don't give a company that much power.

Edit... Now if you want to go to the jetblue bridge program I could see that being an issue.
Old 09-05-2014, 04:01 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by sleepy1456 View Post
I don't think the ineligible for rehire will hurt an aviation career. An employer can write anything about the employee.

As long as you can explain it. Besides after 5 years it goes away on the pria I believe.

Not arguing with you, but I don't give a company that much power.

Edit... Now if you want to go to the jetblue bridge program I could see that being an issue.
Oh okay thanks for the clarification! =] i guess it could be a talking point if you tell them they marked you that cause you bailed on a commitment with them especially for an airline. not sure though. But yeah your right probably not a MAJOR issue. and yeah gateway program, then yeah, bad.
Old 09-05-2014, 04:59 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2010

Originally Posted by teddy3412 View Post
Oh okay thanks for the clarification! =] i guess it could be a talking point if you tell them they marked you that cause you bailed on a commitment with them especially for an airline. not sure though. But yeah your right probably not a MAJOR issue. and yeah gateway program, then yeah, bad.

Oops sorry I wasn't trying to call you out.

I've met people who have bailed on an operation after they were in Indoc and saw how the operation operates from what they were told in the interview. I also knew an AMFer that left after his contract, and was still put on not rehireable because he couldn't give a 2 weeks. Employers do messed up stuff.

But I still think you bought up a good point
Old 09-06-2014, 06:08 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by sleepy1456 View Post
Oops sorry I wasn't trying to call you out.

I've met people who have bailed on an operation after they were in Indoc and saw how the operation operates from what they were told in the interview. I also knew an AMFer that left after his contract, and was still put on not rehireable because he couldn't give a 2 weeks. Employers do messed up stuff.

But I still think you bought up a good point
no worries! yeah probably just depends on the situation.
Old 09-06-2014, 03:20 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Sep 2014

Thanks for the info so far. A big question I also have is pay. What is a new hire FO looking at annually? Also, if anyone could answer some of my previous questions, I'd appreciate it.