Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Cape Air

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 08:34 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2011
Default Cape Air

Montana (even in mid winter)
and the Carib are my favorite 9k regions. Take either and make the best of it. Pack light because you'll never be in one place for too long. Which may be kind of a good thing since you usually fly back and forth between only two airports.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:51 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2013

Hey guys, I got a few questions. I am in the process of applying right now for an FO position. (1150TT, 600xc, 950pic, 380 given, 130 ME, 160IFR, 120 night)
1. What are the junior bases for FO's? And after upgrade?
2. Typical yearly amount of flying?
3. How often do junior guys (3 or less years in Cape) have to move?
4. And are there landlords that work with the pilots to not have 6 or 12 months leases? preferable weekly or monthly?
Any other helpful tidbits would be nice. I am having a hard time trying to figure out what the first year or two here would be like, but it seems I would like it more than a my 300 hour a year corp job.(just too boring for me) Just trying to figure out how cape is compared to sticking it out and applying to a 121 regional when I hit 1500. Thanks for the insight!

Last edited by Aviator89; 01-22-2014 at 01:55 PM. Reason: fat fingered typo
Old 01-24-2014, 05:01 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2013
Position: C206

Anyone on the ATR side of the house in here? If so, could you talk about life on Guam with Cape? Pilot group, schedule, pay, etc... I'll ask more detailed questions once someone comes forward. Thanks in advance!
Old 01-24-2014, 11:10 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2013

I am srongly considering Cape for an FO position. My circumstances are unique in that I have ATP mins, but I really don't want to risk the Captain position.
I want to fly as an FO for a couple of months before moving up just to get the hang of things. Seems like Cape would appreciate this but who knows.
Does anyone have the scoop on this? Would Cape allow a person with ATP mins to fly as an FO first.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:43 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by outaluckagain View Post
I am srongly considering Cape for an FO position. My circumstances are unique in that I have ATP mins, but I really don't want to risk the Captain position.
I want to fly as an FO for a couple of months before moving up just to get the hang of things. Seems like Cape would appreciate this but who knows.
Does anyone have the scoop on this? Would Cape allow a person with ATP mins to fly as an FO first.
They may let you fly the mail, but if you have atp mins, theyll want you as a captain. The training is so thorough that youll be ready for anything they throw at you. I wanted to be an fo first and they said nope-yur a captain. That was 5 years ago though. Good luck
Old 01-25-2014, 08:29 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: retired

Could you explain what you mean by risk?
Old 01-25-2014, 09:37 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2013

Why do you want intentionally get paid bad and not take a position you are fully qualified for again? And your hourly rate would only be 11.30, not really something you can live off of for a long time unless you eat like a bird and live in a box.
What risk are you talking about?
Old 01-25-2014, 03:40 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by Aviator89 View Post
Why do you want intentionally get paid bad and not take a position you are fully qualified for again? And your hourly rate would only be 11.30, not really something you can live off of for a long time unless you eat like a bird and live in a box.
What risk are you talking about?
I was out of flying as a full time pilot for a while so I wanted to spend some time as an FO at Cape. This would be a move on my part top get my skills back up to speed before upgrading to Captain. I am not one to think that just having ATP mins is enough to qualify me to start as a Captain. I got all of my experience as a CFI flying the pattern, if you get my drift. The time as an FO would be valuable.

The pay would not be an issue since the time spent as an FO would only be a couple months at most.

Anyway, I don't think I would want to get in a C402 and fly as Captain right off the bat like that.

You seem fairly certain that having ATP mins would cut it to start as a Captain at Cape. Have many pilots done this? Might these actually be people who have previous 135 time at a company like Air Net?
Old 01-25-2014, 03:45 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Default Risk

Originally Posted by filejw View Post
Could you explain what you mean by risk?

The Risk would be centering around me not having been flying as a full time pilot for a while. The FO position would get me back up to speed quickly, and allow me time to learn the SOP.

I couldn't imagine that Cape hires people into the Captain without previous 135 experience. Would you tell me, or do you know whether Cape hires people who only have CFI experience like myself?

The entire issue is whether a person with ATP mins, but only CFI time is really qualified for this.
Old 01-25-2014, 03:49 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Default I see

Originally Posted by Bozo the pilot View Post
They may let you fly the mail, but if you have atp mins, theyll want you as a captain. The training is so thorough that youll be ready for anything they throw at you. I wanted to be an fo first and they said nope-yur a captain. That was 5 years ago though. Good luck
This is very incitefull! I see you must have been thinking the same thing at one point in your career. Maybe it is a natural inclination for a CFI to feel he needs to start as an FO.

So, you are telling me the training is adequate enough to bring a CFI up to speed that fast? You obviously were successful at this. Were you a previous CFI or did you have previous 135 experience?