Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Part 135 Cargo ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 05:09 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005

Somewhat dated information, since I flew at AMF in 1988/89

UPS flights were bid on and award by the run. The dates for each run were staggered, so AMF was always bidding on runs. UPS liked to keep at least some competition within the hub cities to keep the prices honest.

AMF was (still is?) owned by Armored Transport, which owned United Currier. So the bank runs were in house business.

A small bit of trivia. The only two companys that I ever worked for in 23 years, that are still in business, are my current employer and Ameriflight.

Originally Posted by NoBeta View Post
Hey all... I was curious if anyone could give me some input on how Part 135 cargo ops like Ameriflight actually make there money....I know they fly cargo LOL but I was just wondering how they get paid? I see these guys flying in one after the other in the early evening into KSLC to drop at the UPS feeder network here. I am wondering do they get paid by the pound, by the route??? Any insight would be great. I am just curious how they make there money because I know it costs alot to operate Metros, BE-99's and 1900's.
Old 07-19-2009, 05:43 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2009
Position: autopilot abuser

Thanks for the info Jonny....Interesting how AMF wants local cometition. Is that their bargainingship for cost/price justification of their bids to UPS?

Here in KSLC the only cargo companies are AMF and Western Air Express. There was another company but they went out of business. A CFI I used to work with is in the right seat of a metro at Western Air Express. I lost his number though. I planned on asking him about how their OPS work. I might try to hunt him down and find out some more info.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:17 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2008
Position: Just a broker now.

There is no differnce between a broker and a freight forwarder. Freight forwarder is just a fancy name...like Sanitation Engineer for a Garbage Man.

And we aren't theives...if you can sell and make $1,000 per charter, you're a good salesman.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:08 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2006
Position: 'Bus Driver Right Seat

Originally Posted by jonnyjetprop View Post
Somewhat dated information, since I flew at AMF in 1988/89

UPS flights were bid on and award by the run. The dates for each run were staggered, so AMF was always bidding on runs. UPS liked to keep at least some competition within the hub cities to keep the prices honest.

AMF was (still is?) owned by Armored Transport, which owned United Currier. So the bank runs were in house business.

A small bit of trivia. The only two companys that I ever worked for in 23 years, that are still in business, are my current employer and Ameriflight.
And we haven't furloughed in 40 years.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:52 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2008

Originally Posted by freightdog View Post

Thats what Airnet, now they have guys on furlough.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:19 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by FlyingPirate View Post
Thats what Airnet, now they have guys on furlough.
Airnet was highly vested in the banks with all those lear jets. That could have been a reason.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:55 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by freightdog View Post
They used to tell the new hires that they hadn't missed a paycheck since they opened the doors.

Of course, I don't know if they still call the regionals (OK, before the meltdown) and complain that they were hiring all of their pilots too. It used to be a running joke at the first day of Wings West/ American Eagle.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:58 PM
Gets Weekends Off

It's the other way around. UPS wanted the competition. Kept AMF honest.

Originally Posted by NoBeta View Post
Thanks for the info Jonny....Interesting how AMF wants local cometition. Is that their bargainingship for cost/price justification of their bids to UPS?

Here in KSLC the only cargo companies are AMF and Western Air Express. There was another company but they went out of business. A CFI I used to work with is in the right seat of a metro at Western Air Express. I lost his number though. I planned on asking him about how their OPS work. I might try to hunt him down and find out some more info.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:45 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by jonnyjetprop View Post
They used to tell the new hires that they hadn't missed a paycheck since they opened the doors.

Of course, I don't know if they still call the regionals (OK, before the meltdown) and complain that they were hiring all of their pilots too. It used to be a running joke at the first day of Wings West/ American Eagle.
In the last three years a lot of pilots went off to the regionals for "greener pastures" and a lot of them were calling AMF for their old jobs back when this downturn in the economy happened and we had no spots for them.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:05 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2006

I loved everything about part 135 freight, specifically the on-demand flying. I don't know why it had such a bad reputation. My schedule was decent, pay was good and the flying was interesting. Over three years I had been to about 150 different Airports in Canada, the United States and Mexico. During one of my favorite weeks I crossed both borders and saw both oceans. That isn't a big deal in a jet, but when you do it in a slow, range limited turboprop you get to see a lot of the country. I was laid off in May and I'm starting a new job soon, but I already miss it.

Unlike Ameriflight and other scheduled operators, the poorly diversified on-demand companies don't have a reliable source of revenue. When things get slow they all do the exact same thing. They park some planes and fire most of the pilots.