Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

ATP after 135 checkride

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 01:50 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2009
Position: BEECH 1900 PIC

Originally Posted by highnpressurizd View Post
Incorrect. You do need an ATP to act as PIC of a Multi-Engine aircraft in Part 135 ops.

Slipped: The information your seeking can easily be found in the PTS and/or FAR's. At this point in your career (assuming your prepping for a potential ATP ride), you should really have already made yourself familiar with these things.
No, your incorrect. The ATP requirement to act as PIC under 135 is for passenger carrying operations and then only for:

1)Turbojet airplanes.
2)Airplanes having a passenger-seat configuration, excluding each crewmember seat, of 10 seats or more.
3)Or multiengine airplanes in a commuter operation as defined in part 119 of this chapter.

All other 135 operations in a multiengine airplane require only a Commercial AMEL.

Maybe next time before you slam someone for not looking at the regs, you should take a look at them yourself first. Just a suggestion.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:10 PM
Line Holder

Position: Delta

Originally Posted by slipped View Post
Ok ill bite; commercial why?
Maybe I'm missing something, but didn't you ask if you were an ATP in the first post?
Old 09-08-2009, 02:14 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2008

Deleted........

Last edited by SR22; 09-08-2009 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Someone beat me to it
Old 09-08-2009, 02:34 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2008

Originally Posted by johnnysnow View Post
No, your incorrect. The ATP requirement to act as PIC under 135 is for passenger carrying operations and then only for:

1)Turbojet airplanes.
2)Airplanes having a passenger-seat configuration, excluding each crewmember seat, of 10 seats or more.
3)Or multiengine airplanes in a commuter operation as defined in part 119 of this chapter.

All other 135 operations in a multiengine airplane require only a Commercial AMEL.

Maybe next time before you slam someone for not looking at the regs, you should take a look at them yourself first. Just a suggestion.
Thanks for the backup Johnnysnow!

I was basing my answer on the context of a 135 single pilot operator which is what slipped was talking about, not the big passenger operators.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:58 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Position: BEECH 1900 PIC

Originally Posted by FlyingPirate View Post
Thanks for the backup Johnnysnow!

I was basing my answer on the context of a 135 single pilot operator which is what slipped was talking about, not the big passenger operators.

My pleasure.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:43 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2007
Position: Sr. VP of button pushing

Originally Posted by HungryPilot View Post
My understanding is that this is not the case with the ATP. If you take the 121 written and are employed as a 121 pilot then the written with not expire. Same goes for the 135 written and you are employed as a 135 pilot. I believe. It is also my understanding that if you take the 121 written (like I did) and are employed as a 135 pilot (like I am) then the written WILL expire in two years. Usually I have the regs to defend my position but this time I don't. I'm hoping someone else can dig me out.
You're online, you've got the regs available.

(7)
(b) Notwithstanding the provisions of paragraphs (a)(1) and (2) of this section, an applicant for an airline transport pilot certificate or an additional rating to an airline transport certificate may take the practical test for that certificate or rating with an expired knowledge test report, provided that the applicant:
(1) Is employed as a flight crewmember by a certificate holder under part 121, 125, or 135 of this chapter at the time of the practical test and has satisfactorily accomplished that operator's approved—
(i) Pilot in command aircraft qualification training program that is appropriate to the certificate and rating sought; and
(ii) Qualification training requirements appropriate to the certificate and rating sought; or
(2) Is employed as a flight crewmember in scheduled U.S. military air transport operations at the time of the practical test, and has accomplished the pilot in command aircraft qualification training program that is appropriate to the certificate and rating sought.

No place does it say you can only extend a 121 written while working for a 121 carrier or a 135 while working for a 135. Can you find me a 125 written? You're covered as long as you stay employed.

The SEL ATP is good for getting the ATP if your 24 months is running out and none of the above applies to you. Much cheaper to do the ride SEL then do the MEL as an add on whenever.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:24 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2009

Originally Posted by hawkesaurus View Post
Maybe I'm missing something, but didn't you ask if you were an ATP in the first post?
Now I am confused, just for the record I am comm. not ATP
Old 09-08-2009, 05:01 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2008

Originally Posted by slipped View Post
FR8, Im not confused, I just dont know, thats why I started the thread. Thanks for your reply, it cleared most of it up. Now, more questions.

1. Do I have to pass a 135/121 ATP written to do my 135 PIC ride?
2. Is the ATP/135PIC ride tough? whats it like
3. I wonder if people fail this ride ever
1. No
2. Thorough, not difficult. Know the regs, systems, and be IFR current.
3. Yes.

You'd better brush up on your FARs or you're in trouble.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:32 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2007

Originally Posted by johnnysnow View Post

1)Turbojet airplanes.

Please accept my most humble apologies. My Part 135 experience is exclusively 1,2 and 3 and I did not research the regs that did not apply to my experience. I did not mean to "slam" anybody, however my post was short and not very helpful to the thread starter or anybody else. I'll do better next time...
Old 09-08-2009, 11:31 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2009

Originally Posted by highnpressurizd View Post
Please accept my most humble apologies. My Part 135 experience is exclusively 1,2 and 3 and I did not research the regs that did not apply to my experience. I did not mean to "slam" anybody, however my post was short and not very helpful to the thread starter or anybody else. I'll do better next time...
I thought it was ok