Key Lime Air's SIC to PIC program

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 10:00 PM
Self Employed.

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: Corporate Pilot
Default Reputation?

Originally Posted by miller View Post
I would imagine most other companies have a vested interest in maintaining their reputations. As you've seen here the majority of professional pilots hold Key Lime in general and these types of programs in particular in pretty low regard. It simply isn't worth it to them to compromise an image that takes years upon years to build.
The only pilots that care about pay to play are those who are on the rungs below. No one else really cares. The FAA does not care. Future employers really do not care. The customers do not care. So I ask what reputation is really at risk here?

Skyhigh
Old 11-30-2009, 10:06 PM
Self Employed.

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: Corporate Pilot
Default Pay to play

Originally Posted by ZBowFlyz View Post
Only the true "Bottom Feeders"
Pay to play is going to make a comeback. Training contracts and the like will begin to haunt the regionals again. In three years it will be interesting to see who the "bottom feeders" are. It could be companies that currently are considered to be more respectful.

In the end we all pay. Some in wasted years while others write a check. Flying is not a religion. It is a job. If someone can create an opportunity for themselves using a check book then why is that so wrong? It seems to me that only those who perceive an unfair advantage are the ones to get hot under the collar.

Everyone has advantages.

Skyhigh
Old 12-01-2009, 11:07 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2008
Position: B767

Originally Posted by BushwickBill View Post
So just out of curiosity. How exactly can someone figure out who is posting on an anonymous message board?
Pretty easy actually.

A poster posts an ad looking for pilots. Pilot on "anonymous" message board PMs poster about the job. If the inquiring pilot has a posting history that displays a bad attitude and/or questionable judgment, they're out of the running.

I got my current job through an internet forum much like this one. My posting history was analyzed as I described above. Happens ALL the time.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:11 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2008
Position: B767

Originally Posted by Plantation Air View Post
WRX,

Easy, old boy. I don't think Tay is, in anyway, slandering the position of CFI. He clearly states that there are no openings, thus immplying that he would be willing to instruct but cant find a job.
Actually, that's not what he said. Seems you missed it, so I'll repost it again:

Originally Posted by taymor1234
I know paying is bad but what other options do you have? and don't say a word about CFI please. When you have over 500 hrs JET time its not cool to go backwards and fly 172 in a hot summer.
That just speaks volumes about his attitude, which I would classify as poor, immature, and reeking of entitlement. There's plenty of great guys and girls out there that I would MUCH rather help out than somebody like this.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:05 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2009
Position: BE-20 PIC

Originally Posted by wrxpilot View Post
Pretty easy actually.

A poster posts an ad looking for pilots. Pilot on "anonymous" message board PMs poster about the job. If the inquiring pilot has a posting history that displays a bad attitude and/or questionable judgment, they're out of the running.

I got my current job through an internet forum much like this one. My posting history was analyzed as I described above. Happens ALL the time.
Gotcha thanks.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:35 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2009

Originally Posted by wrxpilot View Post
Actually, that's not what he said. Seems you missed it, so I'll repost it again:

That just speaks volumes about his attitude, which I would classify as poor, immature, and reeking of entitlement. There's plenty of great guys and girls out there that I would MUCH rather help out than somebody like this.
I hear you. Certainly don't want to argue. I agree that a good attitude is imperative in this game. I think these forums are an invaluable resource for those in the industry. It's a shame people constantly get into these grudge matches though. As I said earlier, I appreciate all your constructive advice and meant no offense in questioning your response to taymor. I'm just here to learn from those peers that have preceeded me in this endeavour. As an aside, I would go back to teaching, if I could find an opportunity.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:38 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: Only Citations

Plantation,

Having previously worked in the DEN market for a competing 135 company I feel its my moral duty to inform you of what I know. Everything that Hollingsworth posted earlier is exactly the mood I have received from everyone else I have spoken with about Key Lime Air. You need to know that they are very well known in the DEN area for their share of incidents and accidents, especially out at Denver Intn'l. (KDEN). Wouldn't that suck if you paid them to get into trouble?

Proceed with extreme caution. I would be very wary of giving them money, signing anything legally binding, etc.

Most of the pilots I have spoken with who work there did not have very good things to say, especially about management and their "you will get in that plane and you will fly it to KXYZ, no matter what" attitude.

My advice is to keep doing what you are doing now (or find something to do now, even if non-aviation) and wait for the upswing. Save your money, spend a little to stay current in a 172 now and again, and wait for the upswing. With 1200TT you wont have a problem finding a CFI job once the regionals suck up the current working pool. You have to be patient, and I know that sucks. I too, am being patient.... was furloughed from a fractional a while back and have a non-flying job waiting for my recall, if and when it ever comes. If it doesn't come, then I have to wait until the major carriers start hiring again. It sucks for a lot of us right now. Don't make it worse by giving a bunch of your money to a sleazy outfit.

Good luck, with whatever you decide.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:50 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2009

Originally Posted by Part135 Guy View Post
Plantation,

Having previously worked in the DEN market for a competing 135 company I feel its my moral duty to inform you of what I know. Everything that Hollingsworth posted earlier is exactly the mood I have received from everyone else I have spoken with about Key Lime Air. You need to know that they are very well known in the DEN area for their share of incidents and accidents, especially out at Denver Intn'l. (KDEN). Wouldn't that suck if you paid them to get into trouble?

Proceed with extreme caution. I would be very wary of giving them money, signing anything legally binding, etc.

Most of the pilots I have spoken with who work there did not have very good things to say, especially about management and their "you will get in that plane and you will fly it to KXYZ, no matter what" attitude.

My advice is to keep doing what you are doing now (or find something to do now, even if non-aviation) and wait for the upswing. Save your money, spend a little to stay current in a 172 now and again, and wait for the upswing. With 1200TT you wont have a problem finding a CFI job once the regionals suck up the current working pool. You have to be patient, and I know that sucks. I too, am being patient.... was furloughed from a fractional a while back and have a non-flying job waiting for my recall, if and when it ever comes. If it doesn't come, then I have to wait until the major carriers start hiring again. It sucks for a lot of us right now. Don't make it worse by giving a bunch of your money to a sleazy outfit.

Good luck, with whatever you decide.

Thanks man. Nice to know there's someone out there in a similar boat. My opinion is starting to sway on this whole pay to play gig. Good luck on the recall. It'll happen.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:56 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: Left

......deleted.........

Last edited by ZBowFlyz; 12-03-2009 at 01:45 AM.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:12 AM
Flying Farmer

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: Turbo-props' and John Deere's

As far as I'm concerned, folks like this are the same ones that fudge their logbooks with "Parker P-51" time each flight, probably have milked their students as CFI's, and are willing to undercut anyone to just "get the job."

I'm basically saying it's a moral path going the wrong way. Do it right, you won't regret it in the long run.

In 05' I was a 1400TT, 40mel CFI-I going no where. Students were drying up, I was going to buy some multi-time because no one would hardly talk to you without at least 100-200hrs multi. I interviewed and never heard back from Airnet, so my options were slim. I knew about, and never even considered "paying to play" type jobs, if you can even call them a job.

Ironically, I actually went home(worked in MI, grew up in IN), and within 2 days I found a job flying C310 freight right in my own backyard that I worked for 1.5yrs before I got my current job.

I wish you the best of luck, but keep it honest!