Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Key Lime Air's SIC to PIC program

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 05:51 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: Dream Job

Hope that isn't your picture in the avatar.
Old 11-30-2009, 06:46 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2009

Originally Posted by ZBowFlyz View Post
What happened on the 301st?
Refer to results of preceeding 300.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:10 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2009

Originally Posted by wrxpilot View Post
After reading this post, it's become quite clear to me why you're having a hard time finding another flying job. You have 500 hrs of "JET" time, and are now above flight instructing? You are clearly out of touch with reality. There's nothing magic about turbojet time. In fact, I've found that flying a jet is pretty darn easy. Flying a piston twin around single pilot IFR for a 135 operator is much more challenging.

Nobody is above teaching when times are tough and they need to put food on the table and/or stay current. I'd go back to teaching tomorrow if I lost my job, no question about it. So would most pilots.

Your post marks you as a very young and immature person, and would be a HUGE red flag if I was making hiring decisions. Think about what you post online, there are a lot of potential employers here that read these threads.
WRX,

Easy, old boy. I don't think Tay is, in anyway, slandering the position of CFI. He clearly states that there are no openings, thus immplying that he would be willing to instruct but cant find a job. Also, he doesn't have his CFI so he would have to spend a significant amount of money just to be eligible for a job that essentially doesn't exist at this time. I know you can find postings for CFI positions but, after submitting my resume to numerous schools, I have recieved nothing. Perhaps this is because I dont have a II or MEI but irregardless, those jobs are just as scarce as the ones Tay is attempting to find. Bottom line is, I think it's a bit harsh to lambast him and "mark" him as young and immature (basically the same thing) just because you don't agree with his ideas. You are obviously way ahead of us in the business and I feel certain have paid your dues but if someday I were in a hiring position, I might head my own advice (concerning posting), as your negative and condescending remarks are unbecoming of a professional. That being said, I respect you for the fact that you have made it in this business and commend you for that. I just don't think you need to verbally berate someone who meant no harm and appears simply to want to fly for a living. I know that's what I want to do and if I have to pay to get a start I will. I mean no offense by what I have said, just my thoughts.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:53 AM
Self Employed.

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: Corporate Pilot
Default Instructing anyone?

Last summer I was hired as a full time flight instructor at the largest flight school in the area. However there has not been a new student walk through the door since July. Getting a job as in instructor is far from anything. It is akin to getting hired as a real estate agent. There are no guarantees that you will be able to build time or make a living by a long shot.

A young pilot needs to get their career going before their momentum dies. It is easy to get discouraged. Wasting away at a flight school growing older by the moment is not the answer either. At my flight school the last two instructors quit after reaching 1500 hours and went back home to get their gas station jobs back.

Why not buy a job if you have the money? Who made these rules anyway? Some pilots buy a piper apache to build time. What if a guy can afford to buy a citation jet and fly off 2000 hours, buy a 737 type rating and then start applying to SWA would that be considered bad as well?

Skyhigh
Old 11-30-2009, 10:24 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2007
Position: single pilot cargo, turboprop

Buying a job and building time with your own money are two entirely different things. On one hand, you're investing in your self (ie your education, experience and skills), on the other you're just undercutting others.

IMHO, this is one reason I support these cargo FO programs, no one is losing their job to you, and you're just buying time that you would have bought splitting time anyway. You've saved money and reduced your carbon footprint by doing it on scheduled flights rather than splitting time with a buddy in a rented twin.

In the end, going into an interview it is what it is, time you paid for. If you work hard, get the experience, and hone your skills, you'll come out of it with good references too. You can't buy that part.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:39 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: Dream Job

Maybe this will catch on in other fields!! Then I can go to the doctor's office and get paid for it or maybe have a lawyer represent me in court for free so he can get some much needed experience (I have no cases pending...just an example). It just isn't right to pay an employer to work. It's counter productive. You do a job to get paid, not to lose money.

On a side note, I appreciate everyone for keeping this discussion civil. It's great to see that things like this can be discussed in a professional manner.

Last edited by tlove482; 11-30-2009 at 10:40 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 11-30-2009, 10:48 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2008

Originally Posted by own nav View Post
IMHO, this is one reason I support these cargo FO programs, no one is losing their job to you, and you're just buying time that you would have bought splitting time anyway.
What about our passenger operation that is conducted single pilot, but we hire and pay an "SIC" to sit in the right seat anyway?

No one is required to be there, so that makes buying that seat okay?

-mini
Old 11-30-2009, 10:57 AM
Blue Skies

Joined APC: Aug 2006
Position: C208B

Old 11-30-2009, 11:05 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2008

mmmmmmmmmmmm

-mini
Old 11-30-2009, 11:56 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2007
Position: single pilot cargo, turboprop

Originally Posted by minitour View Post
What about our passenger operation that is conducted single pilot, but we hire and pay an "SIC" to sit in the right seat anyway?

No one is required to be there, so that makes buying that seat okay?

-mini
So, I'm supposed to answer a hypothetical with a hypothetical? Why do they have that FO there anyway (insurance reasons maybe)? If that's the case, how would having a paying FO lower insurance costs?

Did it ever occur to you that paying FO's are considered a liability? For that matter, to respond to the other post, do you realize that ours is not the only profession where student workers pay their mentors for the sake of liability?