Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Small 135 Aircraft Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 05:07 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2010

Originally Posted by clipperskipper View Post
Don't worry about the certification process, most of the Inspectors at the FSDO's today are quite helpful. The PC-12 offers a lot of bang for your buck, and superior range. Just one more aircraft to consider.
I would love a PC-12 and I know it is superior. I am familiar with its engine's operating cost, but nothing else. It will outperform every other single engine turbine, but how much higher is the realistic operating cost? Also, I think the insurance rate will increase significantly. Letting a 1500 hour pilot fly a glorified Malibu is a bit different then letting a 1500 hour pilot fly a PC-12 single pilot.

I will now take off by business hat and put on my more selfish pilot hat. Career wise, would I be better off with a Navajo?
Old 10-31-2010, 05:38 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2009
Position: A-320 FO

Well the second aircraft I added to the certificate was was a 1980 Beech 58. Great aircraft for four pax and 200nm stage lengths. Come to think of it, I took my 135 initial and my ATP ride in this very aircraft, at the local FSDO. I was 23. Very comfortable single pilot with the KFC-200 IFCS.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:06 AM
Flying Farmer

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: Turbo-props' and John Deere's

2STG, I'm extremely familiar with both the TBM and Meridian as it is my job to demonstrate them, train new owners, yadi yadi, I have 770+hrs between the two.

I will say yes, the Meridian will be best bang for the buck over the mileage. You're going to be sacrificing the Useful load, which you calculated. It is a great 500-700nm airplane with 1-3 folks in the plane. Assuming you get one with the GW-increase, you'll have 400-500lbs with full fuel. So some fuel planning can be used, and you can get some loading out of it. The capacity is 170 gal(1140lbs), which burning 40-43gph at cruise(figure 60gph first hour) flying at 260ktas+, it is a 3hr plane. Bring the fuel back to 800lbs, and you got around 1.5-2hrs w/ reserve, and you just gained another 300+lbs, and you can get a 300-400nm trip in most conditions very easily. You can get into a brand-new Meridian for under $2mil right now(we have these in stock) and I know they have around 510lbs useful on those with Full Fuel.(And G1000 cockpit!!!!!)

Now, the TBM, which is by far a superior airframe because it was built from day-one to be a turbine. TBM's handle "heavier" in the roll because they have huge flaps, and tiny ailerons supplemented by spoilers tied into their motion. The interior is obviously going to be larger than the meridian, but about the same baggage space. The 700A/B are definately in the $1-1.5mil mark, a 700C2 would be in the $1.5-2mil mark. My company has both a 700B and 700C2 in inventory(FOR SALE BTW!!!), both with WAAS garmins, and GMX200 MFD's. The biggest difference is paint, interior, and of course the 500+lbs you gain in useful load by going with the C2. You'll get around a 270-280ktas, 50-55gph at altitude, and with 281gal of fuel on board, you can go a lot further than the meridian can dream about. So the obvious with the 700B is to keep only 200gal on it, you then have gained 536lbs, making it an 800lb useful, and you can still fly further than the Meridian.

As far as Mx, Under Part 91 flying the Meridians are just planned on Annual's, the TBM's have 100hr inspections set-up already. So makes an easy transition there if you went 135 with one. Obviously you have a domestic aircraft vs. a foreign, so yes there could be some parts delays if something "suprising" happens, but the daily stuff we have no problems with. I honestly don't deal much in this area, couldn't even tell you how much it costs, but I do the test-flights when they come out just to verify we did everything correctly and solved any problems the aircraft had coming in.

Besides all this great info, where are you located? I'm betting outside our region, but that only hurts us if you are wanting a new airframe. The used ones we can sell anywhere. Shoot me a PM if you have any other questions regarding the airframes.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:18 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2010

Originally Posted by Ewfflyer View Post
2STG, I'm extremely familiar with both the TBM and Meridian as it is my job to demonstrate them, train new owners, yadi yadi, I have 770+hrs between the two.

I will say yes, the Meridian will be best bang for the buck over the mileage. You're going to be sacrificing the Useful load, which you calculated. It is a great 500-700nm airplane with 1-3 folks in the plane. Assuming you get one with the GW-increase, you'll have 400-500lbs with full fuel. So some fuel planning can be used, and you can get some loading out of it. The capacity is 170 gal(1140lbs), which burning 40-43gph at cruise(figure 60gph first hour) flying at 260ktas+, it is a 3hr plane. Bring the fuel back to 800lbs, and you got around 1.5-2hrs w/ reserve, and you just gained another 300+lbs, and you can get a 300-400nm trip in most conditions very easily. You can get into a brand-new Meridian for under $2mil right now(we have these in stock) and I know they have around 510lbs useful on those with Full Fuel.(And G1000 cockpit!!!!!)

Now, the TBM, which is by far a superior airframe because it was built from day-one to be a turbine. TBM's handle "heavier" in the roll because they have huge flaps, and tiny ailerons supplemented by spoilers tied into their motion. The interior is obviously going to be larger than the meridian, but about the same baggage space. The 700A/B are definately in the $1-1.5mil mark, a 700C2 would be in the $1.5-2mil mark. My company has both a 700B and 700C2 in inventory(FOR SALE BTW!!!), both with WAAS garmins, and GMX200 MFD's. The biggest difference is paint, interior, and of course the 500+lbs you gain in useful load by going with the C2. You'll get around a 270-280ktas, 50-55gph at altitude, and with 281gal of fuel on board, you can go a lot further than the meridian can dream about. So the obvious with the 700B is to keep only 200gal on it, you then have gained 536lbs, making it an 800lb useful, and you can still fly further than the Meridian.

As far as Mx, Under Part 91 flying the Meridians are just planned on Annual's, the TBM's have 100hr inspections set-up already. So makes an easy transition there if you went 135 with one. Obviously you have a domestic aircraft vs. a foreign, so yes there could be some parts delays if something "suprising" happens, but the daily stuff we have no problems with. I honestly don't deal much in this area, couldn't even tell you how much it costs, but I do the test-flights when they come out just to verify we did everything correctly and solved any problems the aircraft had coming in.

Besides all this great info, where are you located? I'm betting outside our region, but that only hurts us if you are wanting a new airframe. The used ones we can sell anywhere. Shoot me a PM if you have any other questions regarding the airframes.
Thanks for the first hand information. I would rather go with the TBM because we will only have one aircraft for a while and I don't want to turn away potential customers if they want to carry a little bit more and go a bit further than the Meridian will allow.

As far is buying one, we are looking for used planes. We don't plan on making money the first few years so we are looking for the plane that will lose us the least money. I might be able to persuade my boss with a TBM due to cabin size because he is used to larger aircraft. We are in the northeast but will buy a plane in the middle of Russia if it is what we want, so if you have some older airframes, I would love to get the citation out to go look at some.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:43 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2007
Position: June Bug SIC

Originally Posted by 2StgTurbine View Post
I would love a PC-12 and I know it is superior. I am familiar with its engine's operating cost, but nothing else. It will outperform every other single engine turbine, but how much higher is the realistic operating cost? Also, I think the insurance rate will increase significantly. Letting a 1500 hour pilot fly a glorified Malibu is a bit different then letting a 1500 hour pilot fly a PC-12 single pilot.

I will now take off by business hat and put on my more selfish pilot hat. Career wise, would I be better off with a Navajo?
If I understand you correctly, career-wise you will be much better off with a King Air (ME TPIC time). As far as the difference between ME piston and SE turbine, it's probably a wash.