Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Safety...single pilot ops

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 07:58 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Math Teacher
Default Safety...single pilot ops

Just wanna get some feedback on single pilot Part 135 ops? How do you guys really feel about it? Just how safe or dangerous is it? Do any of the Part 135 outfits have a two pilot crews? What are your thoughts?

Thanks.

atp

Last edited by atpwannabe; 09-11-2006 at 08:02 PM.
Old 09-12-2006, 04:31 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2006
Position: BE-20, RA390

I have flown passenger ops in 135 single pilot in Cessna twins and King Airs. I feel it is safe. You have to be on top of your game in weather and or busy airspace. I took the time to organize the charts I would need in order, and put them where I could get to them easy. The empty co-pilot seat became a desk.

At the request of the customer, we would have a SIC, but we still trained and checked for single pilot ops. We would work out our procedures for CRM on a personal level. Due to the small size of the company, all the pilots knew each other.

In the King Air 200 that I flew then, and the one I fly now, under 135 the insurance requires two pilots.

While I think single pilot can be safe, I feel two pilot operations are safer if CRM is put into practice. Having help with comms, charts, navigation, checklists, and another set of eyes to watch outside and watch you are a good deal.
Old 09-12-2006, 03:56 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2006
Position: 'Bus Driver Right Seat
Default Single Pilot

My company operates in single pilot, IFR, 135. It's a cargo-only operation so we have no passengers. I believe that it can be safe when a pilot is porperly trained and they are on top of their game. It all starts getting organized on the ground before you leave. Just like GauleyPilot said, the copilot seat becomes a desk and a good place to organize charts and pubs. Things can get busy at times, but it is all about staying ahead of the aircraft and taking low points in the flight to grab atis, pull charts, etc. When companies conduct single pilots ops they usually have very rigorous training regiments when it comes to single pilot ops.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:20 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2006
Position: 320 right side

I flew 135 single pilot for my first "job" after instructing. I think it is good to do it for a while right in the beginning. It makes you pay close attention to the little things that can hose you later on. Make sure you are well rested, I heard of a guy that fell asleep and woke up somewhere over the atlantic...barely made it back.
Old 09-30-2006, 10:44 PM
Day puke

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: Out.

If you can't handfly, don't know the regs, forgot there are approaches other than vectored ILS, are glass or ATC dependent; you should avoid it. On the other hand, a sharp pilot can have a blast. I get a kick out of handflying a non precision approach at an uncontrolled field, down to mins in the middle of the night.... but some folks find that scary.

What scares me is cars when I am on my motorcycle.
Old 10-01-2006, 12:55 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2006
Position: Yeti SB150

I have flow both pax and cargo 135 single pilot. The good thing about having pax is that you need an autopilot. I used to fly 135 cargo Be1900, and this job was fun but no autopilot. If you are confident in your skills and your airplane you will do fine. Just remember at 0300 going into uncontrolled fields with bad WX its all about using your check lists and taking you time to do everything right. One of the most dangerous parts about small 135 ops is not your hide but your certificates. Do not do anything against FAR's, I have known pilots that got violations at their 135 jobs and that has slowed and even stopped the career. One of the places that I flew for we had SIC's in the C-208 this was more of a babysitting job. But thats how I started building time so more power to them. Single Pilot Ops are only as safe as the PIC wants to be. Dont be afraid to say "No way" if you know its wrong or dangerous. Those jobs are fun and make you a good pilot. Any way thats my 2 cents