Search
Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

SurfAir

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 08:33 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2014

Oooook! Sorry I don't know how to do multiple quotes!

"Surf Air is a great company to use to build that 1500 hours and that's about it."
I wouldn't say that's it, but it is certainly a stepping stone airline for some like you have asserted

"Most of the captains that work there are bitter regional FO pilots that could never get upgraded."
No objection from me

"Captains try to apply for the Majors thinking their Single Engine PIC turbine is valuable time and constantly get turned down because the Majors don't consider Single Engine Turbine as valuable time."
It's not completely invaluable, but it certainly isn't a resume carrier of course

"F/O pay is $29 per flight hour for the first 6 months which equals around 1800 per month after taxes. 1800 dollars in LA is like having a penny. Not Survivable at all."
This is true, and a tragedy

"If you have over 1500 hours and the ATP written done, minus well go to a regional to get the more valuable time, you basically get paid the same."
Or you could work at a place where you aren't a number

"Multi Engine Turbine is a lot more valuable than the Single Engine Turbine, that's a true statement."
As you stated

"After 6 months, yes you get a raise to 36 per hour which equals to 2200 after taxes which is still not Survivable in California. Yes Captains make 61 per hour, 72 hour guarantee,"
More than I made in the right seat of a RJ for 4 years

"but Captains get over worked and fly around 85-120 hours a month which in Part 135, 120 is max you can do in a month."
As we are finally reaching better staffing levels, this is not as true, but
you are correct, we fly a lot

"Quality of Life is slightly better than a regional,"
More than slightly, have you worked at a regional? Commuted?

"captains are forced to pay for hotels and crash pads out of pocket with no reimbursement because it's not worth them driving home because they have to fly early the next day."
This is true of any airline

"AEav8r is lying,"
Rude! ;-)

"most of the captains are getting 8-9 days off a month because on how short they are right now."
Again, this was true until recently, no objection

"Actually AEav8r is really close to the Cheif Pilot and is filling this forum with Lies to drag more people in."
It is true that I am close with the CP, and DO but that has no bearing
on me "dragging" people in. I simply answer questions on here, if you noticed I never lied about the schedule or expectations

"Surf Air are losing Pilots left and right because of the lack management of the Cheif Pilot and Higher Managment."
conjecture

"Surf Air does not appreciate their Pilots, they already know they are just a stepping stone for a Pilots Career"
The pilots are appreciated, and we are aware that for 90% of the pilots it is a temporary job

"But the Positive thing that I Heard is the Pilot Group is really cool, trying to stay positive."
Truth

"But Big Disconnect with the Santa Monica Office who are ruining the company every single day."
TRUTH!!

"I think that's about it"
Thank you for giving me something interesting to respond to :-)
Old 08-10-2015, 09:38 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Aug 2015

When is the next class for Surf? Any hiring advice for a low time SIC?
Old 08-12-2015, 09:28 AM
Line Holder

Originally Posted by newwings1993 View Post
When is the next class for Surf? Any hiring advice for a low time SIC?
We just finished a class last friday so my guess would be two weeks. I sent a resume and cover letter to the hiring email address once a week for almost 3 months. Worked for me lol
Old 08-20-2015, 12:08 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2015

The next class is this coming Monday the 24th, I think the previous one was on the 3rd, so every 2 - 3 weeks.
Old 09-04-2015, 09:02 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Sep 2015
Default A day in a life of SA pilot?

I read that in the past Surfair had the 5 on 5 off, schedule but things have changed.
any inputs about Pilots schedule would be greatly appreciated.
What are the show times?
Am shifts? Pm shifts?
How many duty hours per day?how many days off for a socal based FO and a Captain?
thanks.
Old 09-04-2015, 09:14 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jun 2014

Quick reply, some information may vary from base to base, and it's the best from my recollection.

Not a true 5 on 5 off. It's really a rolling schedule, typically with 3-5 working days with 3-5/6 days off. Schedule varies depending on location and what you requested for shifts/days off.

Show times also varies. Earliest is 0515 show. Past that a few bases have later show times to stagger arrival times. The latest end time (block) that I am aware of is 2130, but there might be a base with a slightly later end times.

Duty hours vary, shortest is around 6 hours. Longest is 11 hours scheduled.

SoCal I believe averages around 16 days off for FOs and maybe a little less for captains. Wasn't the case in the past, but it has improved greatly with hiring.

Originally Posted by cucv View Post
I read that in the past Surfair had the 5 on 5 off, schedule but things have changed.
any inputs about Pilots schedule would be greatly appreciated.
What are the show times?
Am shifts? Pm shifts?
How many duty hours per day?how many days off for a socal based FO and a Captain?
thanks.
Old 09-05-2015, 02:06 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Sep 2015
Default Thanks Davidm21

More specific inputs regarding LA area bases would be greatly appreciated!
Old 09-07-2015, 03:14 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2015

LA has HHR & BUR as a co base, as well as SBA. SD currently only has CRQ as a base. Norcal has OAK & SQL as a co base, as well as MRY, and MCC. Rumor has it that SAN & SNA will soon open up service and potentially be bases as well.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:02 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2014

How do upgrades work? I know Surf Air has hired street captains in the past and may continue to do so. If an FO is with with company and reaches At least 2,000 hours are they being looked at to upgrade to CA, is it based on performance, company needs etc.? I would love the chance to start as an FO and grow with the company. Also does CA pay top out after a few years? It has been said here in previous posts that Captains start around $60k a year, but does that number keep increasing after year 2,3,5,10? Thanks in advance.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:15 PM
Line Holder

Originally Posted by Poseidonspulse View Post
How do upgrades work? I know Surf Air has hired street captains in the past and may continue to do so. If an FO is with with company and reaches At least 2,000 hours are they being looked at to upgrade to CA, is it based on performance, company needs etc.? I would love the chance to start as an FO and grow with the company. Also does CA pay top out after a few years? It has been said here in previous posts that Captains start around $60k a year, but does that number keep increasing after year 2,3,5,10? Thanks in advance.
Once FO's get their ATP they are eligible for upgrade. I believe there is also a time in type requirement also but that may go away. On paper an FO needs recommendations from check airmen so you can say its performance based. I don't have the full pay scale but I believe captains top out at 75K for your standard 72 hour/mo captain. Our scale goes up to 5 years I think but it may change as we are only 2 years old.