Search
Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

SurfAir

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 09:06 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Mar 2017

The financials are still unknown. Even after the reduced schedule that occurred in September, profitability still remains a big challenge. Operationally, everyone is doing their part to keep it safe and fun out there. But sales and marketing? Whiskey tango fox is going on? Add constantly changing flight schedules which I get questions/complaints from the members on a weekly basis...

We haven't heard from the CEO in ages. What happened to our weekly operational updates from the DO? NorCal experienced some major resignations. 5 captains put in their notice recently. FOs moving on understandably to the regionals. But staffing is becoming a major burden these days. The recent class that started has only 4. There's another class slated for later this month. While I understand picking up trips helps pay the bills, as long as people continue to pick up trips, the company will continue to staff to run the company without true reserves. It's cheaper to pay someone 150% on their day off and just get by than hire additional pilots. When pilots leave, it's a scramble to fill the monthly schedule including TDYs until a class is put through groundschool and sim/in-aircraft training which takes around 30-40 days. Days off drop. QoL ultimately suffers. This would be the achilles heel for Surf... operationally. Gotta improve staffing, period. Need more transparency overall or morale will drop further. Really blows to see it trend this way and lose good pilots.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:34 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2015

Touché. I definitely think that staffing will ultimately be the downfall of Surf. Although quite a few of us came from the regionals and refuse to go back, so it'll take a major pay day charter company or a major airline to lure us away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-04-2017, 01:47 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Feb 2016

Originally Posted by skipilot84 View Post
Touché. I definitely think that staffing will ultimately be the downfall of Surf. Although quite a few of us came from the regionals and refuse to go back, so it'll take a major pay day charter company or a major airline to lure us away.

So. Basically Surfair has to increase the pay a bit to compete with the regionals. Surfair sounds still way cooler then some regional

Old 03-04-2017, 07:46 AM
Line Holder

Definitely on the FO side of things, especially with all the crazy signing & retention bonuses that the regionals have these days. Crazy how much times have changed from just as recently as 2013 when I was a first year FO making $23/hour and only making $1600 over the course of 2-3 months of training.

Captain pay is still pretty much on par with the regionals captain pay scales as far as I'm aware. It's been awhile since I've looked though.

Kids these days don't know how good they've got it. In my opinion Surf is way cooler of a job than any regional, but just like any job it's all about what you make it.

Old 03-04-2017, 08:24 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Sep 2016

I have loved it here so far. I agree with the sentiment that pilots here don't know how good they've got it. Granted, I am coming from a previous poorly run operation that paid much less. Of course it's understandable that some want twin and jet time, and right now you can't get that here. Perhaps the company should target more pilots who want to fly more on the corporate side. Planesense has been flying PC-12s, and I don't think they have the same staffing issues.

Old 04-01-2017, 07:10 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2016

Greetings y'all, I'm a street CA candidate very interested in the whole "Surf Air Deal." Have a few years in 135 - mostly multiple leg pop-up trips - and wondering how the daily grind at Surf Air is. Thanks.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:11 PM
Line Holder

How strict are they on the 800 hours TT? Been following Surf Air and with I feel it would be a good fit for me especially being a California native.

Last edited by Theoneinall; 04-07-2017 at 10:30 PM.
Old 04-08-2017, 02:43 PM
Line Holder

They've hired people at 350TT before. You should apply

Old 04-09-2017, 10:11 PM
Line Holder

can anyone who works here give an idea of what a day is like with the routes you fly in a day. Preferably someone SoCal based, but I'd love to here from anyone how their schedule is like
Old 04-10-2017, 11:24 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Feb 2017
Position: Pilatus PC-12
Default Surf Air hiring!

Surf Air is hiring. All seats....all bases. Details at:

https://www.surfair.com/us/career/

We still have a few seats for street CA class in late APR, early May class. If you have 2000TT and ATO, email Julian Cantu at:

[email protected]