Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

How about Amerflight?

Old 12-12-2006, 07:02 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2006
Default How about Amerflight?

Is this a good place to work for and good equipment? I know about pay not worried about that. Any feed back would be great.
Thanks.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:33 AM
Line Holder

Not worried about pay. Thanks for joining the race to the bottom. If you're not worried now, when will you start? I don't know anything about ameriflight,. My advice would be to make sure it is a good company with good maintenance, don't go somewhere because the planes are pretty.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:44 AM
Line Holder

I'v been doing this awhile and know the pay sux, so no reason to explain stuff like that, just need to know about company and equipment.

Thanks though!!!
Old 12-12-2006, 09:33 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2006
Position: 'Bus Driver Right Seat
Default About AMF

davispm,

If you will PM me, I will give you a pretty good view of AMF, since I am currently a pilot here in Burbank, CA. Many pilots have used AMF as a springboard for their careers, I have jumpseated on Southwest many times and have always come across ex-AMF pilots, same with corporate and charter pilots that I have started up conversations with because I pull up in my Navajo next to their Gulfstream, Hawker, or King Air.
What is is exactly that you want to know about? QOL? Schedule? Upgrade time? Type aircraft? Bases?

freightdog
Old 12-12-2006, 10:02 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: NU Guy

Don't waste your time with AMF I almost made the same mistake. AMF tells newhires about the .05% pilots that make it to xxxx airline without going thru a regional. These pilots are a statistical anomaly who either knew the CEO or got in at a time when things were much less competitive. If you don't have the hours for a regional then AMF is a great time and experience builder. Otherwise apply for the regional you will be better off. Just my 2 cents
Old 12-12-2006, 12:05 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2006
Position: Sofa Stress Tester

Originally Posted by Ski Patrol View Post
Don't waste your time with AMF I almost made the same mistake. AMF tells newhires about the .05% pilots that make it to #### airline without going thru a regional. These pilots are a statistical anomaly who either knew the CEO or got in at a time when things were much less competitive. If you don't have the hours for a regional then AMF is a great time and experience builder. Otherwise apply for the regional you will be better off. Just my 2 cents
Actually, since we only hire Captains (hired FO's only in the 7 Brasilia's) FAA mandates that applicants have 1200 total FLIGHT time. This is far below the regionals requirements of 600 TT. So I don't know how you would go about building time at AMF for a regional.
Most of the guy's in my base are leaving for Netjets, a couple system-wide for SWA, others for corporate gigs. These guy's have been with AMF for 2+ years and have paid their dues just like the regional guy's have.
I have talked with other freightdogs and HR people alike and they have no reservations on recomending us for employment at the career companies.

The aircraft we operate may not be pretty, but are mechanically sound. Have never been asked to do something illegal, or even questionable. Never been told to fly when sick, and never had a problem getting days off. The schedule I fly, which is early morning and late evening is kind of hard because I have a family.
Pay is better than 1st and 2nd year rates at most regionals.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:25 PM
Che Guevara

Joined APC: Aug 2005

They fly into DRT here all the time and pilots seem to stay pretty busy and like their job. Every now and then one of them fly's a falcon with zero noise insulation and he says it makes him want to go deaf lol.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:23 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: NU Guy

Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
Actually, since we only hire Captains (hired FO's only in the 7 Brasilia's) FAA mandates that applicants have 1200 total FLIGHT time. This is far below the regionals requirements of 600 TT. So I don't know how you would go about building time at AMF for a regional.
Most of the guy's in my base are leaving for Netjets, a couple system-wide for SWA, others for corporate gigs. These guy's have been with AMF for 2+ years and have paid their dues just like the regional guy's have.
I have talked with other freightdogs and HR people alike and they have no reservations on recomending us for employment at the career companies.

The aircraft we operate may not be pretty, but are mechanically sound. Have never been asked to do something illegal, or even questionable. Never been told to fly when sick, and never had a problem getting days off. The schedule I fly, which is early morning and late evening is kind of hard because I have a family.
Pay is better than 1st and 2nd year rates at most regionals.
Ziggy a couple of clarifications. #1 You don't need 1200TT to fly 135 VFR, I know I've flown both 135 VFR & IFR. #2 a couple of guys sys wide at southwest, congrats to them but once again a statistical anomaly. #3 Most regional pay goes something like this 25K 35K 60K give or take. Not trying to start something here, I loved the 135 flying I did but it was going to take me nowhere in my career aspirations. If you make it to the big leagues without the regional stint my hats off to you. I respect the single pilot 135 guys who get it done day after day.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:58 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2006
Position: Sofa Stress Tester

Originally Posted by Ski Patrol View Post
Ziggy a couple of clarifications. #1 You don't need 1200TT to fly 135 VFR, I know I've flown both 135 VFR & IFR. #2 a couple of guys sys wide at southwest, congrats to them but once again a statistical anomaly. #3 Most regional pay goes something like this 25K 35K 60K give or take. Not trying to start something here, I loved the 135 flying I did but it was going to take me nowhere in my career aspirations. If you make it to the big leagues without the regional stint my hats off to you. I respect the single pilot 135 guys who get it done day after day.
The subject of this thread is AMF, not other 135 operators. 1. AMF does not hire VFR pilots, only IFR so the 1200 time applies. 2. I personally only know a couple who went to SWA, does not mean there aren't others. 3. Only a few regional carriers pay first year of 25K, most don't. If they paid first year at 35K, then I would be there. Please don't factor in per-diem, that's not pay. It is re-embursement for meal expenses.
Point of fact, your don't see me coming into your house and taking a dump. So why are you doing it in mine?
Old 12-13-2006, 07:10 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2006

I was unaware that you could make 60K at a regional, it that the unemployement pay after you have been furloughed a couple of times?
In regards to per diem, that buck and a half an hour sure shrinks up when a burger at the airport is going to cost you seven to eight. Nice thing about cargo is that we dont go to the terminal, have a crew car waiting for us that I get to drive and go where ever I want. Excuse me while I go mix up another batch of kool aid for that guy.