United CPP comes to Mesa

Subscribe
23  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  37  43 
Page 33 of 44
Go to
Quote: It is actually quite simple...either people learn it correctly, or we don’t get full CAT 2 privileges. I agree 200% the callouts SUCK, but again that doesn’t matter unfortunately.
Never said our CAT II was hard, but failing to make one of our dozen callouts contribute if the PM (CA) gets distracted by ATC.

Also, don’t you think it has to be taught correctly for it to be learned correctly? Where do we teach it in the SIM? JFK, IAD, IAH. All flat land airports. The whole concepts of using BARO only become real when flying a CAT II into ATL (or similar airport) where you have varying terrain.

And, screwing it up during a line check should send both pilots back to the SIM to be requalified in CAT II...: Unfortunately, we are too short of pilots to do that.
I need to look at you guys checklist we got it figured out on the CRJ. But there were problems
Quote: I need to look at you guys checklist we got it figured out on the CRJ. But there were problems
Do you really think the CRJ crews would pass today? We struggle on more than items on the checklist. When I sat right seat and we would fly practice approaches, we had captains take the controls too early, too late, use the radar altimeter, blow the PM callouts. It didn’t matter how much we would brief it.
Quote: Do you really think the CRJ crews would pass today? We struggle on more than items on the checklist. When I sat right seat and we would fly practice approaches, we had captains take the controls too early, too late, use the radar altimeter, blow the PM callouts. It didn’t matter how much we would brief it.
I don't find it difficult on the CRJ, just something that should be practiced more than once a year in the sim.

Another round of Hogan's went out yesterday!
Quote: I don't find it difficult on the CRJ, just something that should be practiced more than once a year in the sim.

Another round of Hogan's went out yesterday!
Glad about that. Hopefully, some more Mesa guys will escape. Do we know the class date given by United on the last batch?
Quote: Do you really think the CRJ crews would pass today? We struggle on more than items on the checklist. When I sat right seat and we would fly practice approaches, we had captains take the controls too early, too late, use the radar altimeter, blow the PM callouts. It didn’t matter how much we would brief it.
We practice them. I think it’s a pretty easy deal. Know the callouts. Did an actual one at BHM a few weeks ago. Don’t skip things on the briefing card thinking you know them. Law of recency.
Of all the approaches I learned to fly on the 175 at Republic the Cat2 was the easiest. Only difference between that and Cat1 was the need to read a laundry list of items off the Cat2 briefing checklist on the supplemental procedures card and plug in ice speeds. Then we just flew the damn thing like a coupled Cat 1. Seriously...easiest thing ever.

If Republic can teach bugsmasher GA pilots like me to fly a Cat2, they're doing it the right way. Maybe it's time Mesa and everyone else who flies the 175 just stop trying to reinvent the wheel and use Republic's SOP because it works.
Quote: We practice them. I think it’s a pretty easy deal. Know the callouts. Did an actual one at BHM a few weeks ago. Don’t skip things on the briefing card thinking you know them. Law of recency.
Agreed you literally go over the callouts before the approach.
Quote: Glad about that. Hopefully, some more Mesa guys will escape. Do we know the class date given by United on the last batch?
Any of the IAD guys leaving or is it mostly Ejet
Since we’re on the topic, would it be so terrible to just have one pilot fly it, and fly it like normal? It’s nothing crazy, just a little lower.
23  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  37  43 
Page 33 of 44
Go to