Search
Notices

[Breeze] Airways

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2022, 02:50 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2020

Originally Posted by Tpinks View Post
IDK, somehow they figured out a way for it to be. Everything has to be expensed though. And I have actively been looking online trying to figure out how they are doing it but they are adamant that it will be non-taxed.

Probably routing those funds through the LDS building in cottonwood heights
Old 10-15-2022, 05:27 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2008

IDK, somehow they figured out a way for it to be. Everything has to be expensed though. And I have actively been looking online trying to figure out how they are doing it but they are adamant that it will be non-taxed.
Tell the IRS when your audited that it’s untaxed. This issue has been beat to death with the IRS for the last 50 years. Commuting expenses are not deductible. Reimbursement for commuting expenses is a taxable event.
Old 10-15-2022, 05:32 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2016

My guess would be that it falls under the umbrella of per diem. What the airlines pay vs what the government sets as the daily rate. For instance in CHS Breeze pays $48 per day, the government approved rate is $79 for meals and incidentals alone. The approved lodging rate varies seasonally between $195-$238, so $216 average. so $216+$31= $247 per day approved non taxed travel expenses.
A pilot used to be able to claim the difference between company per diem and government per diem as well as certain lodging cost as a tax deduction.
Old 10-15-2022, 07:02 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by SEPfield View Post
My guess would be that it falls under the umbrella of per diem. What the airlines pay vs what the government sets as the daily rate. For instance in CHS Breeze pays $48 per day, the government approved rate is $79 for meals and incidentals alone. The approved lodging rate varies seasonally between $195-$238, so $216 average. so $216+$31= $247 per day approved non taxed travel expenses.
A pilot used to be able to claim the difference between company per diem and government per diem as well as certain lodging cost as a tax deduction.
You can’t be paid per Diem at your work domicile only when you are on the road. Unions have long explored all these options with very good tax attornies.
Old 10-15-2022, 07:58 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2022

Originally Posted by chihuahua View Post
So instead of just accepting reality back in January, they chose to build a bunch of bad will between the pilots and management, a bad reputation among the people who had their flights cancelled last minute earlier in the year, and have ALPA on property now, only to have to start acknowledging reality 8 months later and make some minor improvements.
Better late then never. It’s a good starting point for improvement. This place requires a lot of patience. Really contemplate the meaning of a startup before you come here. Day to day it’s basically new people leading new people. But the culture is awesome and it’s a great place to be as far as future growth.
Old 10-15-2022, 08:15 AM

Joined APC: Sep 2017
Position: MEC Chairman, Snack Basket Committee

I'd say it's a risky place to be as far as future growth... but glad you got the raise. I genuinely hope it works out, because if not, you'll have lost a ridiculous amount of potential seniority at legacy carriers. A ridiculous amount.
Old 10-15-2022, 09:53 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2021

Originally Posted by BobbyLeeSwagger View Post
I'd say it's a risky place to be as far as future growth... but glad you got the raise. I genuinely hope it works out, because if not, you'll have lost a ridiculous amount of potential seniority at legacy carriers. A ridiculous amount.
I will respectfully disagree Mr. BLS. I have no doubt Breeze will be successful. The fact that they are the highest funded start up ever, during an all time demand for air travel, with the almost guaranteed colapse of the regional model, will provide immense opportunity for them to grow. In addition, a lot of ppl like to dog on “NeELeMan” but the truth is that, he has proven himself in this industry multiple times. He’s made friends in high places. Breeze will always attract investor interest. Legacies are great today but they also have their dark pasts of bankruptcies, labor conflicts etc….compound that with a likely lifetime of commuting (most ppl don’t want to move to the big “hub” cities) and you end up with a lot of ppl who just aren’t dying to go to a legacy carrier and who would likely end up at another LCC if Breeze didn’t make it.
Old 10-15-2022, 10:28 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by Swapapotamoose View Post
I will respectfully disagree Mr. BLS. I have no doubt Breeze will be successful. The fact that they are the highest funded start up ever, during an all time demand for air travel, with the almost guaranteed colapse of the regional model, will provide immense opportunity for them to grow. In addition, a lot of ppl like to dog on “NeELeMan” but the truth is that, he has proven himself in this industry multiple times. He’s made friends in high places. Breeze will always attract investor interest. Legacies are great today but they also have their dark pasts of bankruptcies, labor conflicts etc….compound that with a likely lifetime of commuting (most ppl don’t want to move to the big “hub” cities) and you end up with a lot of ppl who just aren’t dying to go to a legacy carrier and who would likely end up at another LCC if Breeze didn’t make it.
So far Breeze has been his least successful startup. They have missed every target for both revenue and growth. As you mentioned in this market it’s hard not to make money as a airline. How will they do in the coming recession.
Old 10-15-2022, 10:44 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2022

Originally Posted by BobbyLeeSwagger View Post
That’s very true but at least we got a taste of that ridiculous amount of seniority. I mean there’s crazy movement going on right now. If their plans come out to be true, we won’t be hiring the last Captain until 2 or 3 years from now for the overall fleet.
Old 10-15-2022, 11:09 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2019

Originally Posted by sailingfun View Post
So far Breeze has been his least successful startup. They have missed every target for both revenue and growth. As you mentioned in this market it’s hard not to make money as a airline. How will they do in the coming recession.
I think the greatest thing to happen to breeze would be a recession with slowing of hiring/furloughs at the legacies.