FedEx "not for everyone"?

Subscribe
1  2  3  4  5 
Page 1 of 8
Go to
Have a FedEx interview coming up. The call came as kind of a surprise. I haven't always paid that much attention to the company, and my app wasn't in great shape - errors, etc. It's easy to look at that hourly rate and think, "how can I pass this up?", but my research also says this can be a tough job. The thing is: I feel like garbage when my sleep gets too screwed up and I don't like long flights. I also happen to like my life the way it is now, despite being paid significantly less than FedEx pilots.

There's a trade-off, of course, as the opportunity to live abroad, see the world, fly a heavy and enjoy great pay and benefits would be great. It sounds like there's quite a bit of schedule flexibility too. Still, not sure about taking this path.

Does anyone know pilots who have left FedEx? Many posts on APC say, "you'll love it here"*, with some caveat on the asterisk. Is caveat ever too much? Or does everyone just grin and bear it?
I know a pilot that left. He was an FAA guy, came to FX and stayed 6 years or so, then went back to the FAA. This job isn't for everybody.
Knowing oneself and your limitations is half the battle. If you know it won't work for you stay where you are. Saves yourself anguish and frustration. Then again, Nothing ventured, Nothing gained.
Quote: Have a FedEx interview coming up. The call came as kind of a surprise. I haven't always paid that much attention to the company, and my app wasn't in great shape - errors, etc. It's easy to look at that hourly rate and think, "how can I pass this up?", but my research also says this can be a tough job. The thing is: I feel like garbage when my sleep gets too screwed up and I don't like long flights. I also happen to like my life the way it is now, despite being paid significantly less than FedEx pilots.

There's a trade-off, of course, as the opportunity to live abroad, see the world, fly a heavy and enjoy great pay and benefits would be great. It sounds like there's quite a bit of schedule flexibility too. Still, not sure about taking this path.

Does anyone know pilots who have left FedEx? Many posts on APC say, "you'll love it here"*, with some caveat on the asterisk. Is caveat ever too much? Or does everyone just grin and bear it?
Nice to know you can still get selected even with an imperfect app. Many people update regularly and are more than qualified and never get selected. Good luck
This may help.

FedEx to United

People are right. This job isn't for everyone. You will be tired sometimes. It's a given fact. That being said, I came to FedEx after being furloughed from one of the legacies. I'm glad I did, and I haven't looked back.
Quote: Nice to know you can still get selected even with an imperfect app. Many people update regularly and are more than qualified and never get selected. Good luck
The ways of airline HR departments are a mystery. Seems like getting hired is mostly luck. My current employer had a years old resume of mine during the interview. Two of the smartest pilots I know interviewed and weren't hired by FedEx, but I know a couple good ol' boy types with the sense of humor of a 12-year-old who were.
You seem happy where you are. Sounds to me you should just stay there. Personally, I think it’s a good job, but there is no question you’ll have messed up sleep patterns. Waking up at 1AM to go to work isn’t one of the better parts of the job...
Always take the interview and you can decide IF you get an offer. But, I'm a good ole boy type with a juvenile sense of humor. What do I know? On second thought, keep your smug ass where you're at.
Quote: I also happen to like my life the way it is now, despite being paid significantly less than FedEx pilots.
This is all I got from your post. You want someone to convince you to interview?
Quote: Always take the interview and you can decide IF you get an offer.
My thoughts exactly. Go interview, if you get an offer, then you can decide
1  2  3  4  5 
Page 1 of 8
Go to