Tipping Van Drivers

Subscribe
7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  21  61 
Page 11 of 71
Go to
Quote: I don't tip maids because I hate them all because they universally ignore my DND sign while I'm day-sleeping after redeyes.
"You have the do-not-disturb sign on your door, so I am calling you to see if you want your room cleaned." I was so angry the first time this happened. Those types of cleaners must get paid by how many rooms they clean.
Quote: So the van driver is worth a dollar?
Isnt that exactly what airline management thinks.
i think it’s embarrassing and condescending to tip a dollar.
This. Few things are more ridiculous than tipping one dollar especially in very nice hotels in very expensive cities. It’s positively embarrassing when people tip an American dollar after getting out of the van in say Tokyo. It shows very little SA culturally and socially. This is becoming more and more similar in the US. A dollar doesn’t buy much or show much appreciation. I know that people like to follow the stream in the airline community but don’t feel compelled to tip that same dollar your OE capt. used to tip poor van drivers in the 1980’s. If someone does a great job picking you up handling your bags, giving you guidance on food, etc. give them some amount they can appreciate. This BS won’t change unless we change it.
Quote: This. Few things are more ridiculous than tipping one dollar especially in very nice hotels in very expensive cities. It’s positively embarrassing when people tip an American dollar after getting out of the van in say Tokyo. It shows very little SA culturally and socially. This is becoming more and more similar in the US. A dollar doesn’t buy much or show much appreciation. I know that people like to follow the stream in the airline community but don’t feel compelled to tip that same dollar your OE capt. used to tip poor van drivers in the 1980’s. If someone does a great job picking you up handling your bags, giving you guidance on food, etc. give them some amount they can appreciate. This BS won’t change unless we change it.
Some truth here. I actually now tip $1-5 depending on service (usually $2 which is close in value to that dollar from the '80s).

And I do kind of wonder at my CA's who still a dollar (they lost a lot in BK at one point, but still...).
Quote: Im a commuter first officer.
To and from my car to the airport to start my trip = 10 total trips = 10 dollars
5 trips per month with 4 overnights per trip = 40 total van rides = 40 dollars

50 dollars is a lot of money per month
Im probably poor'er than the van driver due to my debt from flying school
If you go to a restaurant, do you tip your server?
Quote: If you go to a restaurant, do you tip your server?
That's a really bad comparison. Riding company-contracted transportation to and from the hotel is a required part of the job, not a luxury. Besides, if he is worried about $50 a month in tips, he is probably not eating out much...
Quote: That's a really bad comparison. Riding company-contracted transportation to and from the hotel is a required part of the job, not a luxury. Besides, if he is worried about $50 a month in tips, he is probably not eating out much...
As has been stated multiple times on this thread: The accepted theory is that you are tipping for handling bags -- not for transportation. No one tips a city bus driver. No one tips the airport employee bus driver.

If a guy doesn't want to tip -- fine. He should load his own bags. If he doesn't want to tip a server, eat fast-food.
Quote: As has been stated multiple times on this thread: The accepted theory is that you are tipping for handling bags -- not for transportation. No one tips a city bus driver. No one tips the airport employee bus driver.

If a guy doesn't want to tip -- fine. He should load his own bags. If he doesn't want to tip a server, eat fast-food.
Yeah.. your little one-liner didn't make that distinction at all.
Quote: Im a commuter first officer.
To and from my car to the airport to start my trip = 10 total trips = 10 dollars
5 trips per month with 4 overnights per trip = 40 total van rides = 40 dollars

50 dollars is a lot of money per month
Im probably poor'er than the van driver due to my debt from flying school
work on your math.
Quote: That's a really bad comparison. Riding company-contracted transportation to and from the hotel is a required part of the job, not a luxury. Besides, if he is worried about $50 a month in tips, he is probably not eating out much...
Do you tip your cab driver?
Quote: Do you tip your cab driver?
do you tip your Barber or tattoo artist?
7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  21  61 
Page 11 of 71
Go to