20-something Year Old Widebody Capts

Subscribe
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  13 
Page 3 of 30
Go to
What a lot of people fail to realize is that these junior A's will be on reserve for a long time. They will learn to work the PWA to their advantage. They will be YS'ing to Europe and enjoying the layovers. It won't be all FL shuttle.

To be under 30 and commanding a widebody to Europe at a legacy.

More power to them.
Quote: What a lot of people fail to realize is that these junior A's will be on reserve for a long time. They will learn to work the PWA to their advantage. They will be YS'ing to Europe and enjoying the layovers. It won't be all FL shuttle.

To be under 30 and commanding a widebody to Europe at a legacy.

More power to them.
Really so you’re saying Europe frequently sits in open time on A board? Maybe I could see an occasional trip in NYC during Jun-Aug but not frequently. Whatever gets dropped will probably quickly get sniped in PCS swaps over YS. Minus last minute sick calls.

ATL? Not a chance.
Quote: Really so you’re saying Europe frequently sits in open time on A board? Maybe I could see an occasional trip in NYC during Jun-Aug but not frequently. Whatever gets dropped will probably quickly get sniped in PCS swaps over YS. Minus last minute sick calls.

ATL? Not a chance.
I'm talking about NYC. Even this time of year Europes go to RES's several times/week. Not even as a yellow. If it's same day/next day a RES will get it.
Quote: Really so you’re saying Europe frequently sits in open time on A board? Maybe I could see an occasional trip in NYC during Jun-Aug but not frequently. Whatever gets dropped will probably quickly get sniped in PCS swaps over YS. Minus last minute sick calls.

ATL? Not a chance.
Been an ER A on the line at 98% in NYC on reserve for a few months now. A lot of 4 day mostly transcons trips (one GS), a few 2 day transcons, a bunch of deadhead to atlanta and do a janky florida shuttle trip, one GS charter. Any europe pops into open time usually white slipped unless it’s last minute then I guess they would give it to a SC. Not qualified on BOG/MEX and not given any Africa yet. Bid weds-fri off and mostly get a late show 4 day sat-tues it seems.

just a data point for what to expect for the new junior captains on the fleet.
Quote: Unless you're in the top 20% (30% in summer) in your category in NYC, you cannot touch Europe as part of your awarded line. You may get lucky with the swapboard if you're on it 10 times/day. And there's always reserve. So the majority of your flying will be MEX, BOG and domestic. Even Africa goes senior.

The domestic flying is not bad compared to the narrowbodies: 1-3 legs/day, lots of transcons, and the occasional FL penalty lap.

It's a far cry from "super premium widebody," where you can't fail bidding trip-wise.

I can only speak for NYC. YMMV.

There will be no more ER bases, only fewer ER bases.
Not my experience as a B. At ~69%, I was holding EDI, LIS, and picking up the occasional MAD & BCN. Lots of folks can't handle/bid off the 2 pilot runs to the UK. I didn't think they were that bad. Is it that different for As?

The ACC is a hidden gem. 12 hours to the world's easiest arrival, dinner, drinks, pool, malaria, and back in time for the first flight home!
I guess with the amount of Europe trips in summer I could see it being frequent. I don’t check A boards but found it a bit shocking. Seems like senior A’s are willing to work more than senior B’s though.
Quote: I’ve flown with the (or one of the if there are multiple the same age) youngest and he’s extremely solid. One of the best I’ve flown with here and I mean that genuinely. Previously SKW and flew the 747 at Atlas prior to coming to DAL. Managed it all before he was 24. Incredible skill, drive and willingness to learn. Has the skill, attitude and experience to make it happen when he goes to training.
I don’t doubt any of this but there is a level of maturity and experience that is impossible to have at 24. That doesn’t mean a 24 year old can’t do the job. But you can’t rush some things.
Quote: I don’t doubt any of this but there is a level of maturity and experience that is impossible to have at 24. That doesn’t mean a 24 year old can’t do the job. But you can’t rush some things.
Brace for impact.
Quote: …commanding a widebody…
LOL!

Is that really what WB A’s think they’re doing?
Quote: LOL!

Is that really what WB A’s think they’re doing?
They are according to the FAA. Are you suggesting the FAA change the terminology?
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  13 
Page 3 of 30
Go to